Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Using A Generator With House Power

(1/6) > >>

Jamin Lynch:
A local venue has a show coming up that needs some additional power to support a lighting package the band is bringing. There's no place to "easily" obtain any more house power. They want to bring in a 25K portable generator for their lighting package.

The house sound system runs off dedicated house power.

Refresh my memory on the potential problems/hazards of doing that

Thanks

Steve-White:
Properly done, the risk would be very low.  Potential for issues is there for sure.  In the end the risk is directly proportional to the experience and skill level of the electrician overseeing the project.

Improperly wired power distribution or generator could be bad.  Improper grounding could be very bad.  Again, it rests on the shoulders of the electrician.

Jamin Lynch:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on July 26, 2022, 08:40:24 AM ---Properly done, the risk would be very low.  Potential for issues is there for sure.  In the end the risk is directly proportional to the experience and skill level of the electrician overseeing the project.

Improperly wired power distribution or generator could be bad.  Improper grounding could be very bad.  Again, it rests on the shoulders of the electrician.

--- End quote ---

Can you expand on what "properly done" would look like?

***I got a blank stare from the electrician when I mentioned it.

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Jamin Lynch on July 26, 2022, 08:50:41 AM ---Can you expand on what "properly done" would look like?

***I got a blank stare from the electrician when I mentioned it.

--- End quote ---

No.

Reason, liability pure and simple - I will in no way be associated with this adventure.  An online forum isn't the place to explain this - consult an electrician.  Getting a "Blank Stare" from "the" electrician isn't processing at this end.

If it's true, find another electrician.  Any qualified electrician can make this work.

Be safe sir.

Brian Jojade:
+1 with Steve. 

Yes, it certainly can be done safely.  But it's imperative that it is done 100% correctly.  If the electrician on hand has no experience with this, you NEED another electrician involved.

Done incorrectly, people can DIE, so take this very very seriously.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version