ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Controlling venue and festival lights as a band  (Read 2696 times)

[email protected]

Controlling venue and festival lights as a band
« on: July 26, 2022, 03:57:20 AM »

Hi. I am new to this forum.

Im looking for a lighting solution for my party band and hope that some of you experienced guys could help me pick out a way to proceed.

For many years our band have been playing smaller gigs, bringing most of the equipment ourselves. Through the years we have build quite a nice light rig, with LED Pars, strobes, a few blinders and a laser. We have programmed the lights to follow our show, using midi, click tracks and some entry level DMX software.

For the last years we have been playing bigger gigs at venues or festivals that already have a large lighting rig, often with a dedicated light jockey. The setups are often quite nice, but we miss the impact of the light hitting specific cues, dimming front lights after songs, strobes hitting at the right time and so on.

Our solution so far has been to bring our own lights and ask the local light jockey to dim his lights in certain parts of the set. The result is often quite messy, so we are looking for a better solution.
Somehow we would like to influence what the venue rig is doing.

I have sketched three different solutions that I could come up with. I would like to get your thoughts on these or ideas for other ways to do it. We are willing to invest in better dmx hardware/software within the 2000 dollar range. I have some experience using MA2, but not alot.

Tommy Nikiforov

Re: Controlling venue and festival lights as a band
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 07:25:58 AM »

well the logical solution is to hire an LD for your shows that can then clone/morph to whatever fixtures you have that day, then update presets/palettes and then busk the show, run the cuestacks.

you could do all the updating and morhping yourself but that takes valuable time you likely dont have on showdays and then control the show over timecode.

have a look at ChamSys , GrandMA2/3 , Hog4 , Avolites etc for control solutions.
Lighting Designer / Programmer / Operator
ChamSys Alpha tester
Located in Southern Finland

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 08:43:38 AM »

well the logical solution is to hire an LD for your shows that can then clone/morph to whatever fixtures you have that day, then update presets/palettes and then busk the show, run the cuestacks.

you could do all the updating and morhping yourself but that takes valuable time you likely dont have on showdays and then control the show over timecode.

have a look at ChamSys , GrandMA2/3 , Hog4 , Avolites etc for control solutions.

There is your answer.  The comes a point where you need an engineer and LD.

[email protected]

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 03:07:30 AM »

I was hoping to avoid that, as it will be quite expensive :-). Thank you for your answer

Tommy Nikiforov

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 05:19:05 AM »

if you want something done good and proper you are willing to spend money on it. theres a reason lighting designers exist and that reason is having an on point show that looks like its supposed to night in and night out.
Lighting Designer / Programmer / Operator
ChamSys Alpha tester
Located in Southern Finland

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 07:29:39 AM »

Back in the day, we only had pars for lights.  My band would pretty much se5 and forget.  At least until we threw a breaker.

Now our band sets up pars, four movers, a couple of other effect lights and two haze machines.  At festivals, the production company handles everything.  For other smaller gigs, we do our own sound and lights.  The light issue is very complicated and time consuming when you are trying to play.  For us, we have tried to keep it simple.  ADJ make the MyDMXGo app.  Straight out, don’t rely on the wireless feature it sucks and is extremely unreliable.  We hardwire everything.  However, the app itself is super easy to program and has a midi function.  We don’t use the midi, my bass player runs the lights from a iPad on his music stand.  We have come to the conclusion that we want a decent light stage presence, but don’t want it to override or get in the way of playing well.  If you read the reviews on this app, you will find it is completely a piece of shit.  The wireless is shit, the app is great.  MHO

There is no way of replacing a dedicated light guy.  They as well as sound guys come at a cost.  If you can afford one, great.  If not, you have to find something that will get the job done. 

David Allred

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 01:44:42 PM »

ADJ make the MyDMXGo app.  Straight out, don’t rely on the wireless feature it sucks and is extremely unreliable.  We hardwire everything. 

How exactly did you hard wire it?  Buy something?  Or make a special cable / charger?
I have a Galaxy Tab A (with micro usb).  I bought a micro to C cable, but the GO is not getting power from the Tab A.  Help.
I need to get power to the Go (and to the Tab A, if possible, for charging) and coms from Tab A to GO.

Thanks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 01:44:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.