Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Wireless and Communications

IEM compander HF noise

(1/1)

Diogo Nunes Pereira:
Hi.

Bass player on IEMs (Senn 300 G4) has a bass-heavy, low-end rich mix.

Occasionally high frequency noise/hiss sympathetic to the bass notes appears. My guess is HF noises are artifacts generated by the compander process. Senn evolution/2000 have a single-band compander (HDX), so artifacts can happen I guess... Have been reading all about companders on this forum and the webs but still have questions, specially on how to address this:

What strategies can you use to minimize artifacts? Either on the signal to noise stage or on the IEM mix balance/dynamic contour?

Thanks.

Diogo

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Diogo Nunes Pereira on July 25, 2022, 10:40:39 AM ---Hi.

Bass player on IEMs (Senn 300 G4) has a bass-heavy, low-end rich mix.

Occasionally high frequency noise/hiss sympathetic to the bass notes appears. My guess is HF noises are artifacts generated by the compander process. Senn evolution/2000 have a single-band compander (HDX), so artifacts can happen I guess... Have been reading all about companders on this forum and the webs but still have questions, specially on how to address this:

What strategies can you use to minimize artifacts? Either on the signal to noise stage or on the IEM mix balance/dynamic contour?

Thanks.

Diogo

--- End quote ---

My guess is overmodulation at the TX, and whatever comes with it on the RX side.  It would be interesting to see what the TX signal looks like on a service monitor...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version