ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IEM compander HF noise  (Read 336 times)

Diogo Nunes Pereira

• Barcelona, sometimes...
IEM compander HF noise
« on: July 25, 2022, 10:40:39 AM »

Hi.

Bass player on IEMs (Senn 300 G4) has a bass-heavy, low-end rich mix.

Occasionally high frequency noise/hiss sympathetic to the bass notes appears. My guess is HF noises are artifacts generated by the compander process. Senn evolution/2000 have a single-band compander (HDX), so artifacts can happen I guess... Have been reading all about companders on this forum and the webs but still have questions, specially on how to address this:

What strategies can you use to minimize artifacts? Either on the signal to noise stage or on the IEM mix balance/dynamic contour?

Thanks.

Diogo
Diogo Nunes Pereira
[email protected]
--------------------------
"I envy not those who own charriots, horses or land. I envy only those who drink water from every fountain." - Popular Song from Portugal

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: IEM compander HF noise
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 02:21:18 PM »

Hi.

Bass player on IEMs (Senn 300 G4) has a bass-heavy, low-end rich mix.

Occasionally high frequency noise/hiss sympathetic to the bass notes appears. My guess is HF noises are artifacts generated by the compander process. Senn evolution/2000 have a single-band compander (HDX), so artifacts can happen I guess... Have been reading all about companders on this forum and the webs but still have questions, specially on how to address this:

What strategies can you use to minimize artifacts? Either on the signal to noise stage or on the IEM mix balance/dynamic contour?

Thanks.

Diogo

My guess is overmodulation at the TX, and whatever comes with it on the RX side.  It would be interesting to see what the TX signal looks like on a service monitor...
"Art has always held a tenuous position between acts of subversion and status symbol collected by those who profit from the very status quo the art purports to subvert." - Stephen Colbert

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: IEM compander HF noise
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 02:21:18 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 24 queries.