ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need urgent recomendation for mobile DJ speakers  (Read 6239 times)

Thomas Le

Re: Need urgent recomendation for mobile DJ speakers
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 09:49:13 AM »

I would second the EV evolve, but if you can add more to the budget, the RCF EVOX is my pick.

Paul Mayer

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 01:49:09 PM »

>:(
Hi, been a mobile wedding DJ for 10 years now, and was thinking for some time about updating my main speakers, and had thought of doing so after the post covid wedding season ended, but last night one of my old JBL Eon 15" packed up and got a few weddings this week and really need to decide what to buy now and get it as soon as possible.
I´ve been looking, but I don´t have any shop close by to try anything, so I´ll have to trust reviews, and your recommendations.
I currently have 2 DXR 10s for my smaller venues, and even though I bought a EV EKS18SP I never use it as I find it to hard to move/lift on my own due to weight and especially it´s size, and usually using 2 JBL Eon 15" (sorry, can´t remember the model number) for bigger or outdoor venues with 110-130 guests, but even though I found them very powerful at the beginning, lately I was always forcing them too much until last night one finaly packed up. They were around 8 years old or so.

What I would really like is to be able to have more power, using only 2 "portable" speakers.
I first thought about getting some more DXR, but going up to 15", but I would prefer to get something more powerful and was looking at DZR, SRX, etc, but the weight puts me off as well.
Weight is important to me as I´m 50 years old next year and my back always plays up during wedding season and I always set up on my own and in some venues I have to walk up steps, over gardens, etc.
Top handle is even more important as I´ve noticed that more expensive speakers don´t seem to have them like DZR15, ETX15, but the SRX15 do and I find them more than practical.
Is there a big difference in power between the PRX and SRX? or between the DXR15 and SRX15? Don´t mind paying extra, but there is quite a difference in weight between these two price ranges.

Been told that some of the other DJ´s in my area use HK Audio systems, but I see so many different models, and are they really that powerful to cover a big venue, or outdoor terrace with 150-200 people? I know that declared SPL from the manufacturers aren´t something that we should take seriuosly, but I can´t see how those type of column systems can have that ammount of volume.

The music I play is typical wedding music, classic dance hits, and some chart music, all MP3, so top quality is not as important as having more power, incl bass and mobility.
Budget probably around 2000-3500€, but if it´s really worth it I can think about going higher.

Hope somebody can help me soon as I would like to order today or tomorrow

Thanks in advance!

Edit: been looking at the RCF  HDM-45A, anybody heard these or compared them? They´re lighter than the rest I´ve been looking at
Edit 2: Got another recomendation for EV Evolve 50m, but as I said before, will these be as powerful as the RCF´s or any of the other mentiones 15"?

I also have a pair of Evolve 50s and love them to pieces.  While they don’t get as loud as something like an SRX815P, I think the bass is better.  The sub on the Evolve is actually pretty impressive. 

With that being said, events with more than 150-200 people on a dancefloor would be pushing what I would be comfortable with.  At that point I’d rather bring some small subs like the VRX918SP and put some smaller tops on there like the k10.2s.  It helps having multiple modular systems that can cover different sized events.

I say this because my load in is much easier at venues that allow subs that I can roll out of my van and into the venue and put small, <30lb speakers on poles instead of trying to put 50-60lb speakers on a tripod.  In fact, you can even put your evolves on top of a sub to get them higher and cross them over (the high end in the Evolves can get pretty loud). 

If you go the evolve route, you can always use smaller speakers as sidefills for events you need more coverage.  In those cases (or cases when you want to bring your EKX), you can charge extra for more sound and hire help. 

Ken Houang

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 06:44:21 PM »

Hi, been a mobile wedding DJ for 10 years now, and was thinking for some time about updating my main speakers, and had thought of doing so after the post covid wedding season ended, but last night one of my old JBL Eon 15" packed up and got a few weddings this week and really need to decide what to buy now and get it as soon as possible.
I´ve been looking, but I don´t have any shop close by to try anything, so I´ll have to trust reviews, and your recommendations.
I currently have 2 DXR 10s for my smaller venues, and even though I bought a EV EKS18SP I never use it as I find it to hard to move/lift on my own due to weight and especially it´s size, and usually using 2 JBL Eon 15" (sorry, can´t remember the model number) for bigger or outdoor venues with 110-130 guests, but even though I found them very powerful at the beginning, lately I was always forcing them too much until last night one finaly packed up. They were around 8 years old or so.

What I would really like is to be able to have more power, using only 2 "portable" speakers.
I first thought about getting some more DXR, but going up to 15", but I would prefer to get something more powerful and was looking at DZR, SRX, etc, but the weight puts me off as well.
Weight is important to me as I´m 50 years old next year and my back always plays up during wedding season and I always set up on my own and in some venues I have to walk up steps, over gardens, etc.
Top handle is even more important as I´ve noticed that more expensive speakers don´t seem to have them like DZR15, ETX15, but the SRX15 do and I find them more than practical.
Is there a big difference in power between the PRX and SRX? or between the DXR15 and SRX15? Don´t mind paying extra, but there is quite a difference in weight between these two price ranges.

Been told that some of the other DJ´s in my area use HK Audio systems, but I see so many different models, and are they really that powerful to cover a big venue, or outdoor terrace with 150-200 people? I know that declared SPL from the manufacturers aren´t something that we should take seriuosly, but I can´t see how those type of column systems can have that ammount of volume.

The music I play is typical wedding music, classic dance hits, and some chart music, all MP3, so top quality is not as important as having more power, incl bass and mobility.
Budget probably around 2000-3500€, but if it´s really worth it I can think about going higher.

Hope somebody can help me soon as I would like to order today or tomorrow

Thanks in advance!

Edit: been looking at the RCF  HDM-45A, anybody heard these or compared them? They´re lighter than the rest I´ve been looking at
Edit 2: Got another recomendation for EV Evolve 50m, but as I said before, will these be as powerful as the RCF´s or any of the other mentiones 15"?

This is a great discussion. I would total agree with you given I am 46 years old and seeing that weight has a factor in the speaker selection I choose. The setup below was ideal for me, but like you I am looking to upgrade also. Given that I've been a JBL fanboy for a long time that I would like to explore different options.

I see that the JBL PRX812W are on sale for $600, but I was wondering looking at the JBL SRX812P. However the weight on the SRX is 58 lbs versus PRX812W is 42 lbs which makes me not want to deal with them. Anyone has any experience with these speaker and if the weight difference is worth it. I think the EV EKX and ETX is similar in weight difference as well.

Would love to hear more feedback with anyone that is exploring the same question as OP has. 

Tops JBL PRX612 Pair
Bottoms Electro-Voice ZXA1SUB Pair
If required QSC K10 Pair (To fill the space if a larger venue)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber