ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need urgent recomendation for mobile DJ speakers  (Read 6423 times)

Miles Hitchcock

Need urgent recomendation for mobile DJ speakers
« on: July 24, 2022, 08:24:14 AM »

Hi, been a mobile wedding DJ for 10 years now, and was thinking for some time about updating my main speakers, and had thought of doing so after the post covid wedding season ended, but last night one of my old JBL Eon 15" packed up and got a few weddings this week and really need to decide what to buy now and get it as soon as possible.
I´ve been looking, but I don´t have any shop close by to try anything, so I´ll have to trust reviews, and your recommendations.
I currently have 2 DXR 10s for my smaller venues, and even though I bought a EV EKS18SP I never use it as I find it to hard to move/lift on my own due to weight and especially it´s size, and usually using 2 JBL Eon 15" (sorry, can´t remember the model number) for bigger or outdoor venues with 110-130 guests, but even though I found them very powerful at the beginning, lately I was always forcing them too much until last night one finaly packed up. They were around 8 years old or so.

What I would really like is to be able to have more power, using only 2 "portable" speakers.
I first thought about getting some more DXR, but going up to 15", but I would prefer to get something more powerful and was looking at DZR, SRX, etc, but the weight puts me off as well.
Weight is important to me as I´m 50 years old next year and my back always plays up during wedding season and I always set up on my own and in some venues I have to walk up steps, over gardens, etc.
Top handle is even more important as I´ve noticed that more expensive speakers don´t seem to have them like DZR15, ETX15, but the SRX15 do and I find them more than practical.
Is there a big difference in power between the PRX and SRX? or between the DXR15 and SRX15? Don´t mind paying extra, but there is quite a difference in weight between these two price ranges.

Been told that some of the other DJ´s in my area use HK Audio systems, but I see so many different models, and are they really that powerful to cover a big venue, or outdoor terrace with 150-200 people? I know that declared SPL from the manufacturers aren´t something that we should take seriuosly, but I can´t see how those type of column systems can have that ammount of volume.

The music I play is typical wedding music, classic dance hits, and some chart music, all MP3, so top quality is not as important as having more power, incl bass and mobility.
Budget probably around 2000-3500€, but if it´s really worth it I can think about going higher.

Hope somebody can help me soon as I would like to order today or tomorrow

Thanks in advance!

Edit: been looking at the RCF  HDM-45A, anybody heard these or compared them? They´re lighter than the rest I´ve been looking at
Edit 2: Got another recomendation for EV Evolve 50m, but as I said before, will these be as powerful as the RCF´s or any of the other mentiones 15"?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 09:22:33 AM by Miles Hitchcock »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Need urgent recomendation for mobile DJ speakers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 10:18:06 AM »

The very best advice I can give you is hire some help to assist with load-in, load-out and have some backup during the shows.  Add it to your fee.

This is experience talking.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 11:37:37 AM »

For the events you describe I'd suggest that you buy a smaller sub that you can manage, like the DXS12, and use it with your DXR10s.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 11:40:02 AM »

The very best advice I can give you is hire some help to assist with load-in, load-out and have some backup during the shows.  Add it to your fee.

This is experience talking.

+1.

The straight reality is that when you start using weight as a factor in what the appropriate speaker is for a job, you're going to be trading quality to get there.

Now, you're coming from the older JBL eon speakers.  These were satisfactory speakers for non demanding applications, but never considered high end by any stretch.  There are LOTS of options available that will exceed their capabilities.

If lifting cabinets is an issue, then looking at smaller tops over subs is definitely the way to go.  However, if you don't have roll in access, moving around a large sub might prove difficult. But, at least you don't have to lift the sub in the air.

There are now quite a few of the little columns over sub options now available.  They range from moderate crap to pretty impressive systems.  And with roll in access setup by one individual is easily an option.  For smaller events, they are an excellent choice.  For small rooms, I prefer them over traditional cabinets as well.
Brian Jojade

Kirk Olson

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 03:18:16 PM »

Like Mike said, look for a smaller sub that you can handle to match up with what you have. Or look at the column arrays, the form factor really works well for more "formal" events such as weddings; and are typically easy to handle weight and sizewise.  Some of the columns arrays sound really good for what they are.  Be aware, some columns do not have true subs, the bottom "sub" and top speakers couple at a higher frequency and act more like a full range speaker.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 05:08:01 PM »

I provide sound for 20-30 wedding per year and almost exclusively with EVOLVE 50 rigs. Used to use 50's but now I send out a 50 and a 50m. They're great for up to ~250 people or so and I have never had any complaints about not having enough rig.

Generally, dance floors are 20x20 and that's all you need to get loud on. The EVOLVE's work fine for background music during dinner, as well.

Can't beat the portability and brides and planners like not having a bunch of speakers on sticks in photos.

Bonus is that I can fit 2 systems into a 22x45 caddy case with room left for cables and wireless

Bonus #2 someone on eBay is making 35mm top hats for the EVOLVE so I can put a gigbar on them for lighting. Two Gigbars will fit into the same caddy case as the speaker systems.

Other than my EVOLVE rigs, I'm an RCF TT+ shop. Very nice gear but I make more money with the EVOLVEs
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 03:15:36 AM »

Not DJ, but similar. The best investment I made was a proper van, and then everything I bought was flight cased or covers and fitted with wheels. I've got a ramp, and all the equipment is modular - so for some events I leave some in the van. Another good alternative are one piece speakers that have built in wheels. It's always worth having a chat with Andrew Bishop - Bishopsound. He's behind the old Carsbro company and when they got sold he started his own business and he always has solutions. Other than a happy customer, I've no connection but he helped me with some solutions for systems and his advice is solid.

Miles Hitchcock

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 10:58:40 AM »

Thanks a lot for all your answers!!!

Tonight I´m going to give it a go with my DXR´s + EKX18 sub, and depending on how it goes with moving the big sub around I´ll decide to go one way or another

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 12:21:34 PM »

I recently bought a pair of JBL PRX One speaker systems that I've been pleasantly surprised with, when used within reason.  They have four XLR inputs and can be mixed stand-alone or in multiples using the pass through function to additional speakers, all which are mono.  Or using a left and right output of any mixer to get stereo.  Bluetooth input, tablet interface and the onboard mixer make it a great utilitarian speaker.  And it's very light and easy to move around.  And while very much usable, the UI is very much a work in progress.  There is a Facebook user group that has the designer onboard which has been great for odd questions and firmware change requests.  If you have a chance, go listen to one in your area.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 03:16:27 PM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 02:14:52 PM »

Hi, Miles, and welcome to the PSW Live Audio Board forums.

I'm with Brian J, you need a helper rather than new gear.  And I bet you can charge your clients for the helper, too.  They'll pay for things they can see (people, lights, candles, table skirts and covers, etc) but if you bought the newest, lightest, loudest speaker system you'd probably not be able to raise your rates to pay for it. 

I understand back problems; my spine reflects the results of a mis-spent youth, tipping subwoofers into the van.  Just because I *could* did not mean I should have... so I get it.  For me, the issue is less the weight than the bending and twisting that simultaneously goes with the lifting.  This is where a helper earns their money.

So you've got a helper, who only "needs" to be there are load in and load out... so to keep them on the payroll, how about appropriate showtime attire for the helper, who can then handle and supervise the wireless microphones, perhaps being a "request solicitor" that interfaces with the guests, and otherwise puts a public face on it?  Nicely done human interaction will be a big scoring point with the wedding family and guests.

My goal is to work more safely and provide value to the client they are willing to pay for.  That they don't know the main reason for the helper is my lame back, so much the better. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Thomas Le

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 09:49:13 AM »

I would second the EV evolve, but if you can add more to the budget, the RCF EVOX is my pick.

Paul Mayer

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 01:49:09 PM »

>:(
Hi, been a mobile wedding DJ for 10 years now, and was thinking for some time about updating my main speakers, and had thought of doing so after the post covid wedding season ended, but last night one of my old JBL Eon 15" packed up and got a few weddings this week and really need to decide what to buy now and get it as soon as possible.
I´ve been looking, but I don´t have any shop close by to try anything, so I´ll have to trust reviews, and your recommendations.
I currently have 2 DXR 10s for my smaller venues, and even though I bought a EV EKS18SP I never use it as I find it to hard to move/lift on my own due to weight and especially it´s size, and usually using 2 JBL Eon 15" (sorry, can´t remember the model number) for bigger or outdoor venues with 110-130 guests, but even though I found them very powerful at the beginning, lately I was always forcing them too much until last night one finaly packed up. They were around 8 years old or so.

What I would really like is to be able to have more power, using only 2 "portable" speakers.
I first thought about getting some more DXR, but going up to 15", but I would prefer to get something more powerful and was looking at DZR, SRX, etc, but the weight puts me off as well.
Weight is important to me as I´m 50 years old next year and my back always plays up during wedding season and I always set up on my own and in some venues I have to walk up steps, over gardens, etc.
Top handle is even more important as I´ve noticed that more expensive speakers don´t seem to have them like DZR15, ETX15, but the SRX15 do and I find them more than practical.
Is there a big difference in power between the PRX and SRX? or between the DXR15 and SRX15? Don´t mind paying extra, but there is quite a difference in weight between these two price ranges.

Been told that some of the other DJ´s in my area use HK Audio systems, but I see so many different models, and are they really that powerful to cover a big venue, or outdoor terrace with 150-200 people? I know that declared SPL from the manufacturers aren´t something that we should take seriuosly, but I can´t see how those type of column systems can have that ammount of volume.

The music I play is typical wedding music, classic dance hits, and some chart music, all MP3, so top quality is not as important as having more power, incl bass and mobility.
Budget probably around 2000-3500€, but if it´s really worth it I can think about going higher.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: been looking at the RCF  HDM-45A, anybody heard these or compared them? They´re lighter than the rest I´ve been looking at
Edit 2: Got another recomendation for EV Evolve 50m, but as I said before, will these be as powerful as the RCF´s or any of the other mentiones 15"?

I also have a pair of Evolve 50s and love them to pieces.  While they don’t get as loud as something like an SRX815P, I think the bass is better.  The sub on the Evolve is actually pretty impressive. 

With that being said, events with more than 150-200 people on a dancefloor would be pushing what I would be comfortable with.  At that point I’d rather bring some small subs like the VRX918SP and put some smaller tops on there like the k10.2s.  It helps having multiple modular systems that can cover different sized events.

I say this because my load in is much easier at venues that allow subs that I can roll out of my van and into the venue and put small, <30lb speakers on poles instead of trying to put 50-60lb speakers on a tripod.  In fact, you can even put your evolves on top of a sub to get them higher and cross them over (the high end in the Evolves can get pretty loud). 

If you go the evolve route, you can always use smaller speakers as sidefills for events you need more coverage.  In those cases (or cases when you want to bring your EKX), you can charge extra for more sound and hire help. 

Ken Houang

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 06:44:21 PM »

Thanks in advance!

This is a great discussion. I would total agree with you given I am 46 years old and seeing that weight has a factor in the speaker selection I choose. The setup below was ideal for me, but like you I am looking to upgrade also. Given that I've been a JBL fanboy for a long time that I would like to explore different options.

I see that the JBL PRX812W are on sale for $600, but I was wondering looking at the JBL SRX812P. However the weight on the SRX is 58 lbs versus PRX812W is 42 lbs which makes me not want to deal with them. Anyone has any experience with these speaker and if the weight difference is worth it. I think the EV EKX and ETX is similar in weight difference as well.

Would love to hear more feedback with anyone that is exploring the same question as OP has. 

Tops JBL PRX612 Pair
Bottoms Electro-Voice ZXA1SUB Pair
If required QSC K10 Pair (To fill the space if a larger venue)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber