ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to add to my working (small) Dante network; no luck.  (Read 4133 times)

Jay Ashworth

Re: Trying to add to my working (small) Dante network; no luck.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2022, 06:02:08 PM »

Dante controller is free and doesn't require any codes. If Audinate is requiring an account, it's just a free sign up.

Yeah, I found that out once I got over myself.  :-)

I'll put 4.6/Win on my laptop tomorrow and plug it in.

Jay Ashworth

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2022, 02:24:43 PM »

Dante controller is free and doesn't require any codes. If Audinate is requiring an account, it's just a free sign up. You can run it on any computer on the network, so even if you just attach your personal laptop [windows or Mac] just for diagnostic purposes, it'll work just fine. I would recommend trying to get to a later version of Dante Controller via some means just to get better diagnostics and take that variable out of the equation.

Controller 4.6 on Windows seems to tell me mostly the same stuff.  Updater says "Contact Manufacturer", sadly. 

Your MY-AUD cards can be updated using Dante Updater which I believe is now a part of Dante Controller. It makes updating the cards pretty straightforward.  Although I think it may get slightly stupid with Yamaha products IIRC. Still, I would pursue getting those on the latest firmware as well. Mostly we're trying to eliminate variables so we can whittle down to what is causing your issue.

Then we turn to networking issues. If you're piggybacking on an existing in house network there are switch configuration and other issues that can cause a bunch of headaches. But we need to know a bit more about how your network is configured and what else is on that network to better help you sleuth through those issues.

We are not.  GS724 core and that TPlink with only the 2 MY-16AT cards from the B desk, and that's the whole network; dedicated.

Any other specific things you'd like me to yank out of Controller 4.6?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2022, 03:18:40 PM »

... after making this change.  The upstairs A console is -- and has been -- set to it's internal Master Clock at 48k FWIW, and that's always worked, even though you suggest it shouldn't.

It sure is.  I'll try it tonight.

I think this is the problem. It'll work until you add stuff to the network, then it won't work.

Clock both your LS9's to the card slots. Then delete any "preferred masters" on dante controller. Just let dante decide what it wants to do. Should work after this.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jay Ashworth

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2022, 09:14:40 PM »

I think this is the problem. It'll work until you add stuff to the network, then it won't work.

Clock both your LS9's to the card slots. Then delete any "preferred masters" on dante controller. Just let dante decide what it wants to do. Should work after this.

Sadly, it did not.  I'd set both desks to clock off slot 1-1 of their Dante cards, but still nothing, whether I told Controller to prefer that or not -- it picked that card anyway...

That does fit the description, though, since I couldn't get audio to ProTools (DVS) either...

Got a local hot shot coming in to help me look at it in the morning; no doubt he will find it in 30 seconds, and I will say "D'oh!".  :-)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2022, 09:50:09 PM »

Sadly, it did not.  I'd set both desks to clock off slot 1-1 of their Dante cards, but still nothing, whether I told Controller to prefer that or not -- it picked that card anyway...

That does fit the description, though, since I couldn't get audio to ProTools (DVS) either...

Got a local hot shot coming in to help me look at it in the morning; no doubt he will find it in 30 seconds, and I will say "D'oh!".  :-)

Probably going to be something in the switch then. EEE or Snooping or something even dumber than that.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2022, 12:18:26 PM »

Please do check back in with the solve, as we're a very curious sort. And some of us have a trace of OCD about solving things and can get a little bit itchy when they aren't solved...  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jay Ashworth

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2022, 07:25:51 PM »

Please do check back in with the solve, as we're a very curious sort. And some of us have a trace of OCD about solving things and can get a little bit itchy when they aren't solved...  :)

Never fear; I've been online since Usenet wasn't cool; I know better.  :-)

It does appear to have been a combination of Controller clocking (no preferred master, and no sync-to-card for any source), and desk clocking (each word-clocking from a Dante slot, though I was pretty sure I'd already tried that).

We got it 1) to work, 2) reliably, 3) across a full-system powercycle, and 4) I think I even understand it now.  :-)

Thanks to Joey Donovan of Tampa's Donovan Audio Designs and his guy Dylan, and their buddy Anthony, who was nice enough to come spend an hour or two beating it with a bigger hammer with me.

Now, I can do Scenes with both my wireless mics *and* my band sources.  Or at least I can mute-group the band on a single button.  :-)

Thanks to everyone here for your cogent suggestions and explanations as well.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2022, 08:40:30 PM »

Never fear; I've been online since Usenet wasn't cool; I know better.  :-)

It does appear to have been a combination of Controller clocking (no preferred master, and no sync-to-card for any source), and desk clocking (each word-clocking from a Dante slot, though I was pretty sure I'd already tried that).

We got it 1) to work, 2) reliably, 3) across a full-system powercycle, and 4) I think I even understand it now.  :-)

Thanks to Joey Donovan of Tampa's Donovan Audio Designs and his guy Dylan, and their buddy Anthony, who was nice enough to come spend an hour or two beating it with a bigger hammer with me.

Now, I can do Scenes with both my wireless mics *and* my band sources.  Or at least I can mute-group the band on a single button.  :-)

Thanks to everyone here for your cogent suggestions and explanations as well.

Excellent! The good news with Dante is that typically once you've got it settled it stays settled unless something changes. I know that sounds pretty obvious but yeah, it's not voodoo, even if it is named after a famous pretty spooky dude and his unfortunate experiences with Elevation.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2022, 10:32:20 AM »

Excellent! The good news with Dante is that typically once you've got it settled it stays settled unless something changes. I know that sounds pretty obvious but yeah, it's not voodoo, even if it is named after a famous pretty spooky dude and his unfortunate experiences with Elevation.

Jay has progressed from Inferno to Purgatorio and now in Paradiso.

D. Alighieri would be proud.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2022, 10:32:20 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.