ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with System for Nightclub (DZR, Verarray, SRX or ???)  (Read 3046 times)

Douglas Hanson

Help with System for Nightclub (DZR, Verarray, SRX or ???)
« on: July 17, 2022, 09:52:30 PM »

Sorry, I got completely locked out of my account when changing screen name to real name and cannot sign in, but really need help here so I am reposting this thread.

Would appreciate some help.  I am in Bali so my access may be a little more limited to all brands, but I may be able to find most brands in Jakarta to ship to me.

Here in Bali, I am getting quotes on Peavy Versarray, DZR315, PRX835s and whatever you recommend.  Looks like my local JBL guy only has PRX in stock, but he can order SRX.  They do have a set of SRX815s in stock though.

RE:  Layout of Club

We are 3 stories, but the live music and DJ stage and bar is on 2nd floor in a sound proof, enclosed room that measure 23 meters long (75 ft) by 16 meters wide (43) feet.

RE:  Questions

Question (1):  What bard and series should I use based on the price range of what I am looking at now?

Question (2):  Will 2 mains by stage and (2) 18 inch subs be enough.

Question (3):  At first, I thought about putting Satellite speakers toward that bac.  Is this a dumb idea . . .  I am new at this.

Question (4):  Should I have more subs and run maybe (3) 18s or (4) 18s and do I need to keep an even number of subs?

Question (5):  For sub placement, I read that it is better to have the subs side by side under the middle of the Stage rather than on the outside by the mains.  Is this true?  Would it mess sound up if I ran 2 up front and 1 in the back of the club.  What is best for subs.  I need it to hit pretty hard.

Matthias McCready

Re: Help with System for Nightclub (DZR, Verarray, SRX or ???)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 11:18:25 PM »

Sorry, I got completely locked out of my account when changing screen name to real name and cannot sign in, but really need help here so I am reposting this thread.

Would appreciate some help.  I am in Bali so my access may be a little more limited to all brands, but I may be able to find most brands in Jakarta to ship to me.

Here in Bali, I am getting quotes on Peavy Versarray, DZR315, PRX835s and whatever you recommend.  Looks like my local JBL guy only has PRX in stock, but he can order SRX.  They do have a set of SRX815s in stock though.

RE:  Layout of Club

We are 3 stories, but the live music and DJ stage and bar is on 2nd floor in a sound proof, enclosed room that measure 23 meters long (75 ft) by 16 meters wide (43) feet.

RE:  Questions

Question (1):  What bard and series should I use based on the price range of what I am looking at now?

Question (2):  Will 2 mains by stage and (2) 18 inch subs be enough.

Question (3):  At first, I thought about putting Satellite speakers toward that bac.  Is this a dumb idea . . .  I am new at this.

Question (4):  Should I have more subs and run maybe (3) 18s or (4) 18s and do I need to keep an even number of subs?

Question (5):  For sub placement, I read that it is better to have the subs side by side under the middle of the Stage rather than on the outside by the mains.  Is this true?  Would it mess sound up if I ran 2 up front and 1 in the back of the club.  What is best for subs.  I need it to hit pretty hard.

Speaker choice should be defined by:
1) SPL needed (you will want some headroom)
2) Area that you need to cover (this will define coverage angle/box placement etc)
3) Budget (this is the last consideration).

If you have a DJ and are doing music in the vein of Electronic/club/EDM/Rap etc you will want lots of subs.

Putting subs together, or creating an array is helpful, for summation (read extra volume to "hit hard"). You do not need to have an even amount of subs. 

Without knowing what volume you are going for:

For more inexpensive subwoofers, the SRX828SP are pretty decent. Bassboss and Danley make some incredible subwoofers, but those may be above your budget, and I have no idea what availability/shipping would look like.

For tops SRX is pretty good; Martin CDD Live (if available) has an intriguing asymmetrical coverage pattern that may be helpful, depending on the coverage that is needed.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 12:06:17 AM »

Fill speakers in a room that size probably aren't necessary.  A few dB down in the back of the room is often desirable anyway.

With sub placement, you'll be dealing with a lot of room reflections and whatnot, so using prediction software may be helpful for you to understand what may happen with different placement options.  Sometimes what seems like it would be a good solution ends up creating unexpected results.  Moving the cabinets just a few feet can sometimes dramatically change how things sound.  If you start putting subs in different areas of the room, you're going to have a MUCH harder time creating even sound as cancelations will be happening in random spots.  Even left/right subs are going to potentially create issues when dealing with wall reflections.

The type of music you're going to play will determine how much sub you need.

For typical top40 type dance music, I've used a single SRX728 and it's been plenty enough to rattle ceiling tiles loose. 

If you're looking more EDM style, more sub is more better.

The JBL PRX line is an 'ok' line of speaker.  Stepping up to SRX is a whole new level and well worth the small price difference.

When looking at speaker systems, determining what you can get locally and get supported locally probably is a better choice than another brand that's difficult to source and get supported if something goes wrong, even if it's a somewhat better speaker.
Brian Jojade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 12:25:09 AM »

Unless something has changed with Peavey Versarray (processing), the amount of granular control (amp channels) and system skills) needed to make it sound consistent add to the total cost of ownership.  IOW, I don't recommend it.

With JBL, I also suggest the SRX 800 series tops and the SRX728 (passive, add amplifiers) or SRX828p subs.  I can't speak for the value in Indonesia, but in the USA those represent a lot of audio, reasonable sound quality, at relatively low price (Pre-Covid, anyway).  See if there are other SRX systems in your area to visit and then compare with PRX.  I think you'll prefer the SRX.

I'd imagine you can get RCF (Italy), DAS (Spain), and other European brands.

I think you are approaching a system design for installation in a backwards manner.  Brands and models really can't be specified until you know what quality and level of audible performance are needed and where the primary, secondary, and tertiary zones of coverage are to be.

What more can you tell us about this club, its programming and anticipated uses?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Douglas Hanson

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 01:19:39 AM »

Unless something has changed with Peavey Versarray (processing), the amount of granular control (amp channels) and system skills) needed to make it sound consistent add to the total cost of ownership.  IOW, I don't recommend it.

With JBL, I also suggest the SRX 800 series tops and the SRX728 (passive, add amplifiers) or SRX828p subs.  I can't speak for the value in Indonesia, but in the USA those represent a lot of audio, reasonable sound quality, at relatively low price (Pre-Covid, anyway).  See if there are other SRX systems in your area to visit and then compare with PRX.  I think you'll prefer the SRX.

I'd imagine you can get RCF (Italy), DAS (Spain), and other European brands.

I think you are approaching a system design for installation in a backwards manner.  Brands and models really can't be specified until you know what quality and level of audible performance are needed and where the primary, secondary, and tertiary zones of coverage are to be.

What more can you tell us about this club, its programming and anticipated uses?

23 meters long (75 ft) by 16 meters wide (43) fee

Have 3 floors, but this floor will be for bands, mostly heavy, from 9 to 11 and DJs from 11 until late at night.  DJ electronic, high energy music at night.  Bands ranging from very heavy to pop and doing like band karoke for singing and instruments.

Obviously, I want good quality within reason.  Our place is pretty small and I am wondering if most of our customer would even notice much of a difference in that small of a room at a very high volume.

I have DZRs in my home for my band practice room and I actually like them, but it sounds as if you guys don't care the DZRs.

I am limited on space where the engineering booth so leaning toward powered speakers, at least now

The Versarray is the new Peavy system that may not be out until this month, but Peavy is actually considering giving us the system for free.  They are trying to enter this market area and my partner toured with a pretty famous band and they like him.  Will know their decision when their rep gets back on the 25th, but I think this floor of our club is too small and they will want a larger venue to showcase the system.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 04:21:23 AM »

23 meters long (75 ft) by 16 meters wide (43) fee

Have 3 floors, but this floor will be for bands, mostly heavy, from 9 to 11 and DJs from 11 until late at night.  DJ electronic, high energy music at night.  Bands ranging from very heavy to pop and doing like band karoke for singing and instruments.

Obviously, I want good quality within reason.  Our place is pretty small and I am wondering if most of our customer would even notice much of a difference in that small of a room at a very high volume.

I have DZRs in my home for my band practice room and I actually like them, but it sounds as if you guys don't care the DZRs.

I am limited on space where the engineering booth so leaning toward powered speakers, at least now

The Versarray is the new Peavy system that may not be out until this month, but Peavy is actually considering giving us the system for free.  They are trying to enter this market area and my partner toured with a pretty famous band and they like him.  Will know their decision when their rep gets back on the 25th, but I think this floor of our club is too small and they will want a larger venue to showcase the system.

The DZR is quite a popular line here, many members have Yamaha DSR and DZR systems. Based on your location, Yamaha should be able to provide very good support, which is really what you're after in an install where the equipment will be heavily used.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 05:01:18 AM »

Tim,

I'd agree regarding the "Expected Soon! Aug 05, 2022" Versarray 112 Mk III passive cabinet.
https://peavey.com/ItemFiles/Manual/119202_37852.pdf

The powered version would be way more useful.
The Versarray 112Pro powered bi-amplified cabinet (1000w low, 700w high) with Dante network connectivity using DSP GUI to control all of the allowed variable parameters of the speaker system.
The Pro 112 system is included in the EASE Focus 3 line array aiming software database.

It also has the “no PC, no-network connection required” mode of operation using push buttons on the rear panel for differing  configurations.

https://peavey.com/ItemFiles/Manual/119067_37849.pdf

That said, a front loaded 12" running up to 1950Hz crossed to ribbon tweeters still has the same problems it did 15 years ago.

But if Douglas can get the system installed for free, the price is right!

Art

Douglas Hanson

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 01:06:01 PM »

How about the RCF TT.2a.  Are they worth the upgrade?  Are they as loud as the SRX or DZR?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 07:00:29 PM »

In general with your mention of very heavy to pop bands and then high energy DJ muisc the rest of night I would not even consider any system that has less than a medium or large format high frequency driver, 3 or 4 inch voice coil. That will put the top boxes at least into the league of overall higher sustained output that the system will be more than likely expected to do night after night.

Douglas Hanson

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 09:13:18 PM »

In general with your mention of very heavy to pop bands and then high energy DJ muisc the rest of night I would not even consider any system that has less than a medium or large format high frequency driver, 3 or 4 inch voice coil. That will put the top boxes at least into the league of overall higher sustained output that the system will be more than likely expected to do night after night.

Would the RCF TT.2a work?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 09:13:18 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.