ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Noob Seeking Assistance Powering 15 Person Dance Party  (Read 1407 times)

Sam Kitching

Noob Seeking Assistance Powering 15 Person Dance Party
« on: July 16, 2022, 04:45:50 PM »

Hello,

I am seeking assistance on what gear to rent for a small dance party (15 people in a small room, house music)

My initial thoughts are small cabinets (8-12"?) with a subwoofer. I called my local store in Canada, and they recommended no subwoofer, just a larger cabinet.

My local stores offer The QSC K line, and a few Yorkville cabinets (Elite e10p, nx55, etc).

I am lost with regards to how much power I need, which will provide the best sound quality, and whether i need a subwoofer.

Any help is greatly appreciated , thanks!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 09:27:35 PM »

Hello,

I am seeking assistance on what gear to rent for a small dance party (15 people in a small room, house music)

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Sam Kitching

Noob Seeking Assistance Powering Small Dance Party
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 08:41:57 PM »

Hello,

I am seeking assistance on what gear to rent or buy for small dance parties (15-20 people in relatively small rooms, house music). I could rent for every party, but I also have some cash on hand to purchase a decent rig with.

My initial thoughts are small cabinets (8-12"?) with one or two 12" subwoofers. I called my local store in Canada, and they recommended no subwoofer, just a larger cabinet (15").

My local stores offer The QSC K line, and a few Yorkville cabinets (Elite e10p, nx55, etc).

I can also purchase used in my local market - the QSC K8.2 ($1300), EV ZXA1 ($700), RCF ART732 ($2500)

To add to the confusion - I own a pair of Kef Kube 10b subwoofers (300w RMS) - could these be used, considering the size of the party?

I am lost with regards to how much power I need, size of cabinets, which option will provide the best sound quality, and whether i need a subwoofer.

Mike Monte

• My website
Re: Noob Seeking Assistance Powering 15 Person Dance Party
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 10:19:21 PM »

Hello,

My initial thoughts are small cabinets (8-12"?) with a subwoofer. I called my local store in Canada, and they recommended no subwoofer, just a larger cabinet.

I am lost with regards to how much power I need, which will provide the best sound quality, and whether i need a subwoofer.

I have four e10 (passive version of the e10p) speakers.
For their size they really kick a** IMO.  Their sound holds-together pretty well when pushed.
A pair of e10p's and one active sub (15" sub would suffice...  I'd stick with a Yorkville sub..) would fill a small room with headroom to spare.
I also have three QSC K speakers.  They also work well but become harsh-sounding when pushed. 

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 10:43:39 PM »

15 people, small room? Rent a pair of full-range powered speakers and try adding your subs. Should be more than enough.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Sam Kitching

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 10:59:30 PM »

15 people, small room? Rent a pair of full-range powered speakers and try adding your subs. Should be more than enough.

Thanks! Was really hoping my home subs would be compatible. what speakers would you recommend?

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 11:12:39 PM »

You really don't need very much PA equipment for a small event like this, I put a couple powered 12's( Mackie SRM450) in a house for a party and it got shut down with noise complaints. Even the smallest PA speaker will get louder than the average home stereo, if you have a Long&McQuade nearby go have a look and listen to what they have available for rent... it varies by store. I bet even if you picked out the smallest gear they have it would still be overkill for your party.

Sam Kitching

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 11:22:20 PM »

You really don't need very much PA equipment for a small event like this, I put a couple powered 12's( Mackie SRM450) in a house for a party and it got shut down with noise complaints. Even the smallest PA speaker will get louder than the average home stereo, if you have a Long&McQuade nearby go have a look and listen to what they have available for rent... it varies by store. I bet even if you picked out the smallest gear they have it would still be overkill for your party.

I have a pair of Kef q150 bookshelves and a 40 wpc NAD amp in my studio... you don't suppose that would cut it?

Bob Stone

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 11:54:17 PM »

What local store in Canada?

Honestly, 15 people won't be much of a dance party, my home theatre setup (Klipsch Reference Premiere bookshelf speakers + 12" sub) would suffice for that. Anything PA is going to be overwhelming in a house and not good for your hearing.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 11:57:59 PM »

It might... but then some or all of it may not be functional by the end of the night. Home audio equipment is not meant to run flat out for hours on end and that is probably how it would have to run. For what it will cost to rent some PA gear for this I wouldn't risk it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 11:57:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.