ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compact DMX Controller Options  (Read 1000 times)

Andrew Watts

Compact DMX Controller Options
« on: July 15, 2022, 05:44:25 AM »

Can anyone recommend a really compact DMX controller that can be switched via MIDI program change commands? Itíll be operating around 6 fixtures.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 06:18:54 PM by Andrew Watts »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Compact DMX Controller Options
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 07:36:41 PM »

Hi Andrew.  What does "really compact" mean to you?  For me that'd be anything I can fit in carry-on luggage, but otherwise it's hard to beat a Mac Mini or some of the stand-alone boxes from Enttec and similar.

What are your 6 fixtures and what level of control do you need?  There's a big difference between setting-and-forgetting 6 static uplights and busking with 6 Mac Ultras. 

Andrew Watts

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 01:51:54 AM »

Hi Andrew.  What does "really compact" mean to you?  For me that'd be anything I can fit in carry-on luggage, but otherwise it's hard to beat a Mac Mini or some of the stand-alone boxes from Enttec and similar.

What are your 6 fixtures and what level of control do you need?  There's a big difference between setting-and-forgetting 6 static uplights and busking with 6 Mac Ultras.

Thanks.

I am a musician, and want to use a midi foot controller to switch via midi program changes. I have 8 stage lights (4 dmx addresses) that need 8 channels to run. I also have a dance floor light that needs 16. Basically, I just need something big enough to allow me to setup some scenes, that can then be switched via midi. The smaller the better. I have a Chaucer Obey 40, but it doesnít accept program changes.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 12:41:24 AM »

I have a Chaucer Obey 40, but it doesnít accept program changes.

The Chauvet Obey 40 can be triggered via MIDI for both scenes/presets and chases.  If you're looking to make programming changes to your content via a MIDI foot pedal I think you're barking up the wrong tree with this - any such system that could even do that will be very cumbersome to control with your feet. 

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 01:12:01 AM »

Behringer makes (or made?) a footpedal that worked with midi note data, rather than midi program change. The Showdesigner also would only work with midi note data.
Edit: Behringer FCB1010 will transmit midi note data.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 01:23:47 AM by duane massey »
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Andrew Watts

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 05:42:42 AM »

Behringer makes (or made?) a footpedal that worked with midi note data, rather than midi program change. The Showdesigner also would only work with midi note data.
Edit: Behringer FCB1010 will transmit midi note data.
Iím not sure what you mean. Perhaps youíve misinterpreted my use. Using a foot controller to send a midi program change to change preset scenes is pretty straightforward. Itís not programming.

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 11:29:19 AM »

Iím not sure what you mean. Perhaps youíve misinterpreted my use. Using a foot controller to send a midi program change to change preset scenes is pretty straightforward. Itís not programming.
They Obey 40 responds to midi note, not midi program change. The 1010 will transmit midi notes. The Obey 40, like other similar controllers, will use the midi note data to play back scenes. Since you already have the Obey 40 this would be a possible solution. I am not aware of any stand-alone controller that responds to midi program change, but there might be a software solution.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Andrew Watts

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 06:23:44 PM »

They Obey 40 responds to midi note, not midi program change. The 1010 will transmit midi notes. The Obey 40, like other similar controllers, will use the midi note data to play back scenes. Since you already have the Obey 40 this would be a possible solution. I am not aware of any stand-alone controller that responds to midi program change, but there might be a software solution.

Thanks Duane. That makes sense, as did your first post. I actually thought Iíd responded to Jeff. Thanks.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 11:55:52 AM »

Thanks Duane. That makes sense, as did your first post. I actually thought Iíd responded to Jeff. Thanks.

No worries, and I agree with Duane - MIDI foot controllers are cheap and abundantÖDMX controllers not as much.  I think youíll have better luck keeping your Obey 40 and just buying a foot controller that can trigger it.  Good luck!

Tommy Nikiforov

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 08:58:56 AM »

Really compact. a laptop/nuc running ChamSys , add a node for output if you dont need external control. add the "rackmount dongle" (its a usb stick) for midi note input.
Or just get yourself a Miniwing.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 08:58:56 AM ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.