Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Wireless and Communications

Rack of Shure Axient Digital AD4Qs.

(1/3) > >>

Al Rettich:
Had a rack of Shure Axient Digital wireless mics.  Been working fine.  Come in, all units show a RF power limiter on Ant. A+B. I know the firmware is never been upgraded, but any idea of why this would just appear? The rack never gets turned off.  They do have a AXT630, and a AXT600 installed as well.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Al Rettich on July 08, 2022, 02:15:28 PM ---Had a rack of Shure Axient Digital wireless mics.  Been working fine.  Come in, all units show a RF power limiter on Ant. A+B. I know the firmware is never been upgraded, but any idea of why this would just appear? The rack never gets turned off.  They do have a AXT630, and a AXT600 installed as well.

--- End quote ---

Al, you might want Mac or Fowler to move this to the Wireless & Coms forum.

Ike Zimbel:

--- Quote from: Al Rettich on July 08, 2022, 02:15:28 PM ---Had a rack of Shure Axient Digital wireless mics.  Been working fine.  Come in, all units show a RF power limiter on Ant. A+B. I know the firmware is never been upgraded, but any idea of why this would just appear? The rack never gets turned off.  They do have a AXT630, and a AXT600 installed as well.

--- End quote ---
That's typically a sign that the front end of the receivers are getting overloaded. A few questions:
1) Are you using the Shure active antennas (UA874, IIRC)?
2) If so, what gain/loss setting are they on?
3) If they are on either +6 or +12, WHY?!
4) If they are the older, UA870's, are they in the +3 or +10 position.
5) If +10, see #3 above.
The RF overload is typically caused by noise, such as a hot DTV channel, or the new cell blocks that start at 617 MHz. Gain on antennas will aggravate that quite severely.
The immediate solution is to turn down the gain on the antennas to 0 or -6 if you have the 874's. Otherwise you may need to look at frequency selection...
Also, do others have access to this equipment when you are not around? Someone may have "fixed" something...

Al Rettich:
A few questions:
1) Are you using the Shure active antennas (UA874, IIRC)? We are using active antennas through the 630.
2) If so, what gain/loss setting are they on? 3db
3) If they are on either +6 or +12, WHY?! They only offer 3db or 10db.  They are on the 3db.
4) If they are the older, UA870's, are they in the +3 or +10 position. They are the 870s.
5) If +10, see #3 above.
The RF overload is typically caused by noise, such as a hot DTV channel, or the new cell blocks that start at 617 MHz. Gain on antennas will aggravate that quite severely.
The immediate solution is to turn down the gain on the antennas to 0 or -6 if you have the 874's. Otherwise you may need to look at frequency selection...
Also, do others have access to this equipment when you are not around? Someone may have "fixed" something...
[/quote]

Ike Zimbel:

--- Quote from: Al Rettich on July 08, 2022, 05:51:47 PM ---A few questions:
1) Are you using the Shure active antennas (UA874, IIRC)? We are using active antennas through the 630.
2) If so, what gain/loss setting are they on? 3db
3) If they are on either +6 or +12, WHY?! They only offer 3db or 10db.  They are on the 3db.
4) If they are the older, UA870's, are they in the +3 or +10 position. They are the 870s.
5) If +10, see #3 above.

--- End quote ---
I think the 630 has the ability to add 3dB of gain if the Cascade ports are not used, so you might want to check that there's no gain there. You can also attenuate through the 630. I'm assuming they are all on the frequencies that were working, and haven't been re-programmed to be in an active DTV channel, but check for that. Finally, I would suggest connecting the antennas directly to one AD4Q and see if it settles down...could be a fault in the 630.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version