ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Free or cheap software for video and dmx  (Read 4048 times)

Merritt Reid

Re: Free or cheap software for video and dmx
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2022, 04:53:12 PM »

I’ll piggyback onto Tim’s reply:

You came here looking for free software, with free advice offered by people who know what they’re talking about.  You’re about one more smart ass reply from me showing you the door, permanently.  That will also be free.

Or you can GTFO on your own, whatever floats your boat.

Sent PM

Merritt Reid

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2022, 05:00:13 PM »

Simply because you do not like an answer, does not make the answer wrong or incomplete.

I suggest you look into Dunning-Kruger.  You don't know what you don't know and people here are trying to prevent an "incident" in which bad things can happen.  You don't know what you don't know, and that's why operation of things that produce concussion, flame, or explosions are usually taught *in person* and require licensing to perform.

Sorry if this does not comport with your world view.  ::)

I got an answer thanks to Scott

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2022, 05:35:00 PM »

I got an answer thanks to Scott

I just gave you a software package that does DMX and  MIDI after you revealed credentials.   I still think for safety you need fixtures  with out of band management.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Merritt Reid

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2022, 05:42:22 PM »

I just gave you a software package that does DMX and  MIDI after you revealed credentials.   I still think for safety you need fixtures  with out of band management.

Thanks Scott,

Thats all I was asking for in the original post was software.

There should be some way to like a comment instead of replying.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2022, 05:53:26 PM »

Sent PM

I don’t want your PM. Sorry.

Get with the program or don’t participate.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2022, 05:54:45 PM »

Thanks Scott,

Thats all I was asking for in the original post was software.

There should be some way to like a comment instead of replying.

Put what you wrote to Doug in public, it may get more traction.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Merritt Reid

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2022, 06:38:46 PM »

Put what you wrote to Doug in public, it may get more traction.

Sure i can't remember exactly word for word what i wrote but if he looks at the PM he can confirm what i'm writing now...

Hi Doug,

I see you live in St.Louis I do also, you can remove me if you want to but before you do can I ask that you go back an read all the post in the thread and ask yourself, How would you respond. I asked "I need software that can control video and dmx at the same time" First response I got was a Ignorant "This is one of those things that if you have to ask you shouldn't be doing it.  Sorry."  I got a little upset how would you feel if you received an answer like this. I then responded with "So what do you recommend? The flame machines are dmx that how they are designed. I would like a solution to the problem not an answer that is ignorant. how is a person supposed to learn if people don't help. How about you point me in the right direction. "
Then I receive this "Attempting to learn about pyrotechnics in an Internet forum demonstrates you are not qualified" that made me even more upset because i am qualified and am certified shooter for 1.3 and 1.4 pro. How would you feel if someone told you you were not qualified to do sound? I am not here to be a smart ass but i will not back down from one either. I treat people with the same respect they show me. This whole problem could of been eliminated if the first response was something along the lines of....Hi welcome to the forum what are your qualifications and we would be glad to help if we can, or even say i cant help you because....and not be a dick about it. I also offered for him to come out to our clubs main event in September since he lives in the area.

Im sorry if I was a smart-ass but I think we all can agree that this whole thing could of been handled better and it would of not got this far.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 06:45:36 PM by Merritt Reid »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2022, 09:04:27 PM »

Sure i can't remember exactly word for word what i wrote but if he looks at the PM he can confirm what i'm writing now...

Hi Doug,

I see you live in St.Louis I do also, you can remove me if you want to but before you do can I ask that you go back an read all the post in the thread and ask yourself, How would you respond. I asked "I need software that can control video and dmx at the same time" First response I got was a Ignorant "This is one of those things that if you have to ask you shouldn't be doing it.  Sorry."  I got a little upset how would you feel if you received an answer like this. I then responded with "So what do you recommend? The flame machines are dmx that how they are designed. I would like a solution to the problem not an answer that is ignorant. how is a person supposed to learn if people don't help. How about you point me in the right direction. "
Then I receive this "Attempting to learn about pyrotechnics in an Internet forum demonstrates you are not qualified" that made me even more upset because i am qualified and am certified shooter for 1.3 and 1.4 pro. How would you feel if someone told you you were not qualified to do sound? I am not here to be a smart ass but i will not back down from one either. I treat people with the same respect they show me. This whole problem could of been eliminated if the first response was something along the lines of....Hi welcome to the forum what are your qualifications and we would be glad to help if we can, or even say i cant help you because....and not be a dick about it. I also offered for him to come out to our clubs main event in September since he lives in the area.

Im sorry if I was a smart-ass but I think we all can agree that this whole thing could of been handled better and it would of not got this far.

Merritt -

It’s all good.  Always better to air grievances and work things out in the open than with PMs and such.  I hope you stick around, there’s plenty to learnvv bc and plenty to share.  Yes it could have been handled better both by you and some responders but everyone’s heart is in the right place - safety.  You might have gotten similar responses if it appeared you were attempting an unsafe rigging move.

Let’s just reset and move on.
It's got electrolytes. 

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2022, 09:14:12 PM »

What am i supposed to listen to all i hear is assumptions. Nobody has given me an answer other than they don't believe that DMX should be used. Nobody has offered a solution to my problem. Nobody has offered to help but all have jumped on a bandwagon of not answering any questions i have or explaining the "Right way to do it" you all act like I'm some kid. Just like in the pyro clubs that I am in there is a group of them that are afraid to teach someone out of fear of competition. No I am not certified in close prox but am certified to do 1.3 and 1.4 pro. I guess it makes me less of a pyro because im not close prox or do stage shows, but i guess nobody would know that because everyone makes assumptions. I guess not one of you can understand exactly what i asked for, or even think for yourself. Simple question "What software can sync DMX and video together" that is free or open sourced.

It's important that you realize you redacted "and flame" when quoting yourself.  That set everyone on edge.  This isn't a help forum either per se.  We end up proving a lot of help but you get a more bees with honey than you do with vinegar.  This is a community, originally for touring audio professionals then at some point the LAB and other subtopics get added.  It existed before forums and basically the Internet.  It still attracts the best in the business some 30+ years later so must be doing something right.  So when you come in you get the welcome wagon, with as contentious a request as you made that includes a bit of hazing. 

I too think you can consider it over said with and done at this point and let's move on.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Doug Fowler

• Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2022, 09:27:09 PM »

It's important that you realize you redacted "and flame" when quoting yourself.  That set everyone on edge.  This isn't a help forum either per se.  We end up proving a lot of help but you get a more bees with honey than you do with vinegar.  This is a community, originally for touring audio professionals then at some point the LAB and other subtopics get added.  It existed before forums and basically the Internet.  It still attracts the best in the business some 30+ years later so must be doing something right.  So when you come in you get the welcome wagon, with as contentious a request as you made that includes a bit of hazing. 

I too think you can consider it over said with and done at this point and let's move on.

The apology went a long way toward fixing things.

Matter closed. 
It's got electrolytes. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2022, 09:27:09 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.