ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Free or cheap software for video and dmx  (Read 4045 times)

Merritt Reid

Re: Free or cheap software for video and dmx
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2022, 05:36:08 PM »

Since there are very experienced professionals with pyro responding to your inquiry, and you are unwilling to listen to their safety concerns, I don't think you are going to get an answer here.  When it blows up in your face, no one wants to be a contributing factor.

What am i supposed to listen to all i hear is assumptions. Nobody has given me an answer other than they don't believe that DMX should be used. Nobody has offered a solution to my problem. Nobody has offered to help but all have jumped on a bandwagon of not answering any questions i have or explaining the "Right way to do it" you all act like I'm some kid. Just like in the pyro clubs that I am in there is a group of them that are afraid to teach someone out of fear of competition. No I am not certified in close prox but am certified to do 1.3 and 1.4 pro. I guess it makes me less of a pyro because im not close prox or do stage shows, but i guess nobody would know that because everyone makes assumptions. I guess not one of you can understand exactly what i asked for, or even think for yourself. Simple question "What software can sync DMX and video together" that is free or open sourced.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 05:44:15 PM by Merritt Reid »

Merritt Reid

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022, 05:37:52 PM »

You brought the pyro in when you brought up the accident.  I do know most are controlled by DMX, I am sure there are proper safety protocols to use that interface.

No i didnt say anything about an accident. please re-read who said what.

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 05:57:46 PM »

Merritt, get a grip - you asked a bunch of strangers what they would recommend for video, lighting AND you said flame machines.

The only responsible answer is that for you, the correct answer is we cannot recommend software. Because you scare us. You scare us even more by not understanding. I have the responsibility in one current role for stopping people doing dangerous things. usually new folk, who are starting out and are scary and dangerous simply because as yet, they have not had or caused an accident, but everything they do screams run!

Frankly, for most people doing this we have very specific and tested systems. Qlab, the commonest trigger software is out because you need PC, and while there are a few windows products similar to qlab, they're not as good. Probably qlab would be triggering a hardware lighting desk - with real buttons, so you can set up failsafes for the flames - maybe a cue stack that requires the op to push a button and without it, the flame universe is safe. DMX is usually considered unsafe for pyro and flame control unless specific protocols are in place to make it safe. It really is one of those things where your weird attitude makes the safe people decide to do their best to not promote you to a position where you would be dangerous. I'm sorry, but this has been the case for at least 20 years now. Entertainment people promoting safe working - the same both sides of the water.

The secondary concern is that you are not in a position to be able to even produce a risk assessment - is it safe? Your only response is "I don't know". I do know that in theatre, where most of my work is, you would scare me - and I would expect at least three or four responsible crew members to come to me quietly and let me know a guy with limited safety skills is planning to trigger dangerous effects with a bodged up system with no experience. I know we've said it before - but we have to repeat it. Pyro, flames, even CO2 is dangerous when uncontrolled.

Cheap and safe in the same sentence? Rarely a possibility.

Merritt Reid

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 06:25:23 PM »

Merritt, get a grip - you asked a bunch of strangers what they would recommend for video, lighting AND you said flame machines.

The only responsible answer is that for you, the correct answer is we cannot recommend software. Because you scare us. You scare us even more by not understanding. I have the responsibility in one current role for stopping people doing dangerous things. usually new folk, who are starting out and are scary and dangerous simply because as yet, they have not had or caused an accident, but everything they do screams run!

Frankly, for most people doing this we have very specific and tested systems. Qlab, the commonest trigger software is out because you need PC, and while there are a few windows products similar to qlab, they're not as good. Probably qlab would be triggering a hardware lighting desk - with real buttons, so you can set up failsafes for the flames - maybe a cue stack that requires the op to push a button and without it, the flame universe is safe. DMX is usually considered unsafe for pyro and flame control unless specific protocols are in place to make it safe. It really is one of those things where your weird attitude makes the safe people decide to do their best to not promote you to a position where you would be dangerous. I'm sorry, but this has been the case for at least 20 years now. Entertainment people promoting safe working - the same both sides of the water.

The secondary concern is that you are not in a position to be able to even produce a risk assessment - is it safe? Your only response is "I don't know". I do know that in theatre, where most of my work is, you would scare me - and I would expect at least three or four responsible crew members to come to me quietly and let me know a guy with limited safety skills is planning to trigger dangerous effects with a bodged up system with no experience. I know we've said it before - but we have to repeat it. Pyro, flames, even CO2 is dangerous when uncontrolled.

Cheap and safe in the same sentence? Rarely a possibility.

Ok thankyou for a answer to my question. I am not sure what, how, why or where I said anything to make you scared of me. Nobody asked me what my qualifications are, other than the fact that I said Im new to syncing video with dmx. I do understand the concern for safety. Everyone on the first answer just started being rude. I put on fireworks shows, my club puts on the biggest fireworks competition in the USA. Yes we have a AHJ we pull all the proper permits and have inspections done several times before the shoots. Maybe you all can see my point now. Why don't you start by welcoming members and find out who they are, and what they know before jumping the gun and saying you don't know anything we are not going to help you. What happened to decency and respect. In regards to my set up the flame machines have a manual shutoff valve besides the ones on the tank. We will follow all NFPA standards. This is not indoors or near any person or building.Yes we will be implementing some sort of deadman switch.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2022, 01:02:42 AM »

Ok thankyou for a answer to my question. I am not sure what, how, why or where I said anything to make you scared of me. Nobody asked me what my qualifications are, other than the fact that I said Im new to syncing video with dmx. I do understand the concern for safety. Everyone on the first answer just started being rude. I put on fireworks shows, my club puts on the biggest fireworks competition in the USA. Yes we have a AHJ we pull all the proper permits and have inspections done several times before the shoots. Maybe you all can see my point now. Why don't you start by welcoming members and find out who they are, and what they know before jumping the gun and saying you don't know anything we are not going to help you. What happened to decency and respect. In regards to my set up the flame machines have a manual shutoff valve besides the ones on the tank. We will follow all NFPA standards. This is not indoors or near any person or building.Yes we will be implementing some sort of deadman switch.

Ok, Let's just say your first post did not communicate that experience and move on?  I think Showxpress is about the least expensive option for you.  The software is free from Chauvet but you have to use their dongles which come in difference sizes. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Fruits

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2022, 10:14:15 AM »

Out of curiosity, are these real flames or those silk flames with an updraft fan and colored lights?
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

David "dvsDave" Silvernail

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2022, 12:19:50 PM »

What am i supposed to listen to all i hear is assumptions. Nobody has given me an answer other than they don't believe that DMX should be used. Nobody has offered a solution to my problem. Nobody has offered to help but all have jumped on a bandwagon of not answering any questions i have or explaining the "Right way to do it" you all act like I'm some kid. Just like in the pyro clubs that I am in there is a group of them that are afraid to teach someone out of fear of competition. No I am not certified in close prox but am certified to do 1.3 and 1.4 pro. I guess it makes me less of a pyro because im not close prox or do stage shows, but i guess nobody would know that because everyone makes assumptions. I guess not one of you can understand exactly what i asked for, or even think for yourself. Simple question "What software can sync DMX and video together" that is free or open sourced.

For indoor pyro training, check out https://pyrosolutions.net/pyro-training 

Merritt Reid

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2022, 06:03:17 PM »

Ok, Let's just say your first post did not communicate that experience and move on?  I think Showxpress is about the least expensive option for you.  The software is free from Chauvet but you have to use their dongles which come in difference sizes.

I was working with Showexpress last night it does video but i am looking for projection mapping. I also was looking at HeavyM and VPT. but i think im going to go with Showexpress for this part and use other software for the video mapping the rest of the projectors. Or as a last resort go buy a mac and try qlab.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 06:16:05 PM by Merritt Reid »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2022, 11:39:33 AM »

So what do you recommend? The flame machines are dmx that how they are designed. I would like a solution to the problem not an answer that is ignorant. how is a person supposed to learn if people don't help. How about you point me in the right direction.

Simply because you do not like an answer, does not make the answer wrong or incomplete.

I suggest you look into Dunning-Kruger.  You don't know what you don't know and people here are trying to prevent an "incident" in which bad things can happen.  You don't know what you don't know, and that's why operation of things that produce concussion, flame, or explosions are usually taught *in person* and require licensing to perform.

Sorry if this does not comport with your world view.  ::)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2022, 11:56:44 AM »

Simply because you do not like an answer, does not make the answer wrong or incomplete.

I suggest you look into Dunning-Kruger.  You don't know what you don't know and people here are trying to prevent an "incident" in which bad things can happen.  You don't know what you don't know, and that's why operation of things that produce concussion, flame, or explosions are usually taught *in person* and require licensing to perform.

Sorry if this does not comport with your world view.  ::)

I’ll piggyback onto Tim’s reply:

You came here looking for free software, with free advice offered by people who know what they’re talking about.  You’re about one more smart ass reply from me showing you the door, permanently.  That will also be free.

Or you can GTFO on your own, whatever floats your boat.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2022, 11:56:44 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 24 queries.