ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Show must go on......  (Read 1489 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
The Show must go on......
« on: July 05, 2022, 08:46:43 AM »

This past Friday I tech'd my largest annual event: a Town's fireworks display.
(The fireworks are launched from a boat in the harbor.)
On this application I use three zones; two for the land-based audience (6-7k ppl) and one (long-throw) for the beach crowd plus boaters anchored in the harbor.
A symphonic band performs prior/during the display thus I mic the group.
The event went well.

I subcontract a another local provider to do the gig with me.  (I bring the racks/stacks for two zones and he brings one zone plus most of the cabling, mics, etc.)
Russ & I have worked this gig together since I started doing it 15(?) years ago.

On Wednesday (two days prior to the event) while my wife and I were away on vacation and I got a text from Russ that morning to call him a.s.a.p.
I called......and he told me that his wife had-died that morning.....  I was in shock (she was a pleasant lady).

Russ went on to say, "I'll get the gig covered one way or another and will call you back."
He called back Thursday midday and told me that he would be there...as all of her final arrangements were made.

On Friday he arrived on-site and we went about tech'ing the event.  It went well.

Russ has been my mentor in my sound-endeavors since the late 90's...... He is a good man and we have become friends over the years.

As we were setting up on Friday I asked him: "Why are you here?"
His answer: "The Show must go on."

My wife & I will be attending a funeral tomorrow morning..

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: The Show must go on......
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 08:50:41 AM »

Damn!!!

Russ sounds like a strong person.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 09:11:20 AM »

My condolences to your friend on the passing of his wife.  Words fail...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 11:00:28 AM »

Times like that, I always like to revert back to a movie line from the original Karate Kid - the scene after Daniel and Miyagi survey the destruction of his dojo and irreplaceable family artifacts - Daniel is hysterical and Miyagi calmly walks up with his fishing pole and tackle box.  Wide eyed Danial exclaims something to the effect of "your family dojo has just been destroyed and you're going fishing!"

Miyagi calmly replies "Best not be hungry too"....

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 12:07:21 PM »

I am sorry for your colleagues loss.
Back in 2015, we got the call from Chris's brother in the UK that their dad had passed in the night. Of course we were here in the US so we had to leave the early arrangements in the hands of other family members till we could fly back for the funeral.
This happened on a saturday morning  and we had a show booked that night. We played and Chris distracted himself with the one thing that is sure to do so - music...The activities of the day helped him cope.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 12:07:40 PM »

People handle things differently.  Some people manage it better by keeping themselves busy.  If so, just keep an eye on them to make sure they are handling things. Sometimes people go through the motions, but their brain is turned off and dangerous mistakes can happen.

This would be one of the few acceptable reasons though that someone could walk on a gig and make me scramble to fill in the holes and I wouldn't bat an eye about it.
Brian Jojade

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 03:25:50 PM »

People handle things differently.  Some people manage it better by keeping themselves busy.  If so, just keep an eye on them to make sure they are handling things. Sometimes people go through the motions, but their brain is turned off and dangerous mistakes can happen.

This would be one of the few acceptable reasons though that someone could walk on a gig and make me scramble to fill in the holes and I wouldn't bat an eye about it.

People handle grief differently.  Thoughts and prayers for Russ and his family (and friends).
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Jason Tubbs

• Rochester, NY, USA
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 11:20:53 PM »

People handle grief differently.

Particularly when it's so fresh. I worked an unpaid mobile recording gig the day my father died. Working through it was the only thing I knew - or wanted - to do.

Deepest condolences to your friend, Mike. I'm sure he was glad to have your company that day.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 11:20:53 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.