ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dbx rta-m v ecm8000 for use with driverack PA2  (Read 569 times)

Mal Brown

Dbx rta-m v ecm8000 for use with driverack PA2
« on: July 03, 2022, 12:20:01 PM »

i have the PA/2 in a small rig.  I alreay own a pair of ecm 8000's.   Use case is alignment and response measurement using dbTech IG3T tops and two sets of subs.    I do not genrally use the EQ in the PA/2.  I generally use the EQ in the board.

The first set are KW-181 where the tops will pole mount on a stack of 2 subs.

The second set is 4 LA400's where the tops will be on stands Or Flown from truss.

I'm generally crossing at 100 or below.  The IG3Ts sound good to me native out of the box with just my 'tilt' applied.  So I am 80% interested in getting the crossover and delays right and 20% interested in tone from the tops.

The easy answer is go with the dbx and stay in brand assuming there is some magic in the x-over that is there to suppert their mic... however it appears that many of the low end refernence mics are essentially using a panasonic capsule, maybe different housings and mostly color differences.  At least from what I read...

So - buy the dbx mic or roll with the behringer ? 

Thanks!  Mal
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Dbx rta-m v ecm8000 for use with driverack PA2
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 12:47:00 PM »

Use what you got. It won't matter if there is a response difference between a DBX RTA-M and ECM8000 mics, if you do all your measurements with the exact same mic it's characteristic response is a constant in those measurement so you can reliably make comparisons with all your data.

No two mics are exactly the same and that applies to the DBX mics same as any other, if you want to do measurements referenced to a perfect response then you need a calibration file for whatever mic you're using and some way to apply it to your measurements or the hardware.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 12:58:49 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 01:12:51 PM »

i have the PA/2 in a small rig.  I alreay own a pair of ecm 8000's.   Use case is alignment and response measurement using dbTech IG3T tops and two sets of subs.    I do not genrally use the EQ in the PA/2.  I generally use the EQ in the board.

The first set are KW-181 where the tops will pole mount on a stack of 2 subs.

The second set is 4 LA400's where the tops will be on stands Or Flown from truss.

I'm generally crossing at 100 or below.  The IG3Ts sound good to me native out of the box with just my 'tilt' applied.  So I am 80% interested in getting the crossover and delays right and 20% interested in tone from the tops.

The easy answer is go with the dbx and stay in brand assuming there is some magic in the x-over that is there to suppert their mic... however it appears that many of the low end refernence mics are essentially using a panasonic capsule, maybe different housings and mostly color differences.  At least from what I read...

So - buy the dbx mic or roll with the behringer ? 

Thanks!  Mal
If your Behringers have a calibration file, just use those. If they don't have a calibration file, get a mic that has one. They aren't more expensive, but your results may be more accurate. Dayton has one for $59... I'm sure the quality is every bit as good as the DBX or the Behringer, fwiw.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 06:51:46 PM »

{...} however it appears that many of the low end refernence mics are essentially using a panasonic capsule, maybe different housings and mostly color differences.  {...}

The other thing to be aware of is that (for what I'm sure can be best described as "reasons") some of the lower-priced measurement mics on the market are effectively pin 3 hot, while others are pin 2 hot. IIRC, the ones with the black housing (DBX, Rational Acoustics, Apex 220, etc.) are all pin 3 hot, while the EMC8000 is pin 2 hot. This polarity flip is easy enough to correct for in most measurement applications, but I'm not sure how the PA2 would deal with a pin-2-hot mic.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 06:51:46 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.