ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CL5 Clocking issue  (Read 1447 times)

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
CL5 Clocking issue
« on: June 29, 2022, 12:08:14 PM »

Experiencing an interesting issue with a CL5 connected to a RIO 3224 D and RIO 1608 at a festival. Analog split, so no other desks on the network

Getting snap crackle pop on the outputs, which seems like a clocking issue. The desk is set to master, cables have been swapped out, and a power cycle seems to solve it temporarily. But it comes back.

Thoughts/suggestions welcome. Not my desk, but I’m looking to help the powers that be solve the issue.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: CL5 Clocking issue
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 01:00:23 PM »

Did you have the Clock source set to "Dante", (not Internal)?
I always clock from the RIO, but that's because I have 2 consoles connected to it.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Brian Bolly

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 01:28:36 PM »

I always clock from the RIO, but that's because I have 2 consoles connected to it.
Yes, console is clocked to Dante at 48k. I’m suspecting it may be something at the RIO rack end. Snake is several new (1 show old) shielded CAT6A with Ethercons, RIO rack has pass thru Ethercon on a panel to patch cables that hit the Cisco switches, and patch cables from the switches back out to the RIO boxes. I’m guessing there’s something there that could be the underlying issue.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 01:32:30 PM »

Dante controller should show you what's happening and if there's a clocking issue. Doesn't always help in finding the source of the problem, but it does log what's going on...
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 02:57:46 PM »

I would try clocking from the Rio. Clocking at the source is a good idea.

Mac

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 04:48:34 PM »

Experiencing an interesting issue with a CL5 connected to a RIO 3224 D and RIO 1608 at a festival. Analog split, so no other desks on the network

Getting snap crackle pop on the outputs,
Thoughts/suggestions welcome. Not my desk, but I’m looking to help the powers that be solve the issue.

Have seen this if one of the units is in Redundant.and the others in Daisy Chain.. Also if all the units ARE in Daisy chain then make sure there is NO LOOP happening between the console and the RIO units.

Ben

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 11:00:45 PM »

Have seen this if one of the units is in Redundant.and the others in Daisy Chain.. Also if all the units ARE in Daisy chain then make sure there is NO LOOP happening between the console and the RIO units.

Ben

I have heard reports of two completely independent perfectly functioning CL5/RIO/Redundant systems make similar popping/crackling only at one specific outdoor venue (with fake AstroTurf).  The solution in both cases was to drop the secondary and switch everything to daisy chain mode. Unfortunately, I was just consulted on the issues after the fact so I don't know what details dante controllers had.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 11:03:05 PM by David Sturzenbecher »
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 09:44:08 PM »

This is a good start across the board. Yamaha has suggested from the early days of the CL console / RIO combination to clock from the RIOs or more specifically from where ever the A to D conversion is taking place whenever possible.

I would try clocking from the Rio. Clocking at the source is a good idea.

Mac

Scott Helmke

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 01:40:44 PM »

I also think it's good practice to let a Rio be clock master.  But I don't think this problem would come from the console being clock master.

When in doubt, disconnect everything on the secondary network.  Just connect up primary. Every device should only have one network cable connected.

Brian Bolly

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 09:44:13 AM »

Thanks for all the replies - I read them at the time, but am just now getting back to replying. 

The acceptable solution that ended up working solidly for the rest of the festival was to move back to the original cabling (shielded CAT6A with Ethercons) and drop the secondary connection, running on primary only. Since the desk/rack was a) cross rented and b) all buttoned up with paneling, no one wanted to start taking it apart mid-show.  It is possible one of the RIO racks was set to pass-thru instead of redundant, but based on what lit up on the Cisco switches when only one cable was plugged in from the surface, I would be surprised.

The other CAT6A lines in the loom were used for guest desks throughout the festival with no issues, so cabling has been ruled out.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 09:44:13 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.