ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PA Set Up For Band In Parade On Flatbed Truck  (Read 245 times)

Billguitarvin

PA Set Up For Band In Parade On Flatbed Truck
« on: June 28, 2022, 08:32:41 PM »

Hey everybody!  I hope you are all doing well and starting to get busy this summer. I play in a  5 piece band that will be playing in a parade on a flatbed truck. We have done this many times in the past, and each time I am a bit stumped on where to place the subs. I have 4 Bag End passive subs powered by one channel of a Crown Macrotech 3600. This gives each sub about 450 watts each. If I give them much more than that, I start blowing speakers.

Because people are on both sides of the truck, we set up 2 mains for each side of the truck (4 mains total)  The 2 mains on each side of the truck are about 14 feet apart. Ideally I probably need more subs, although for most outdoor gigs the 4 Bag End subs are enough. How would you set up subs in this situation?  Iíve tried 1 underneath each main, 4 stacked horizontally at the back of the truck facing the rear, 2 subs per side of the truck stacked vertically. Iím thinking the best way, if it was safe, would be to  stack all 4 subs vertically to get the widest horizontal spread and face them all on 1 side of the truck, or the other and hope the omnidirectIonality of the subs (which are crossed over at 100) would take care of people on the opposite side of the truck from which the subs are facing. I do have a bunch of tie downs, but my band mates have been understandably leering of stacking 4 subs vertically on a moving flatbed truck.

I also wonder if I have 2 subs facing one side of the crowd and 2 subs on the other side of the truck facing to the crowd on the other side of the truck, wouldnít I be getting some cancellation from the subs facing opposite directions?  Iím thinking the flatbed is about 5 or 6 feet wide so would it help to reverse the polarity on 1 side of the subs?  Thanks for your time and hoping I havenít described this in a confusing way.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: PA Set Up For Band In Parade On Flatbed Truck
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 08:39:14 PM »

Hey everybody!  I hope you are all doing well and starting to get busy this summer. I play in a  5 piece band that will be playing in a parade on a flatbed truck. We have done this many times in the past, and each time I am a bit stumped on where to place the subs. I have 4 Bag End passive subs powered by one channel of a Crown Macrotech 3600. This gives each sub about 450 watts each. If I give them much more than that, I start blowing speakers.

Because people are on both sides of the truck, we set up 2 mains for each side of the truck (4 mains total)  The 2 mains on each side of the truck are about 14 feet apart. Ideally I probably need more subs, although for most outdoor gigs the 4 Bag End subs are enough. How would you set up subs in this situation?  Iíve tried 1 underneath each main, 4 stacked horizontally at the back of the truck facing the rear, 2 subs per side of the truck stacked vertically. Iím thinking the best way, if it was safe, would be to  stack all 4 subs vertically to get the widest horizontal spread and face them all on 1 side of the truck, or the other and hope the omnidirectIonality of the subs (which are crossed over at 100) would take care of people on the opposite side of the truck from which the subs are facing. I do have a bunch of tie downs, but my band mates have been understandably leering of stacking 4 subs vertically on a moving flatbed truck.

I also wonder if I have 2 subs facing one side of the crowd and 2 subs on the other side of the truck facing to the crowd on the other side of the truck, wouldnít I be getting some cancellation from the subs facing opposite directions?  Iím thinking the flatbed is about 5 or 6 feet wide so would it help to reverse the polarity on 1 side of the subs?  Thanks for your time and hoping I havenít described this in a confusing way.
Please change your display name to your actual name, per the forum rules.  No one will answer until then.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: PA Set Up For Band In Parade On Flatbed Truck
¬ę Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 08:39:14 PM ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.