ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante Recording  (Read 2397 times)

Peter James

Dante Recording
« on: June 28, 2022, 12:29:11 PM »

Hi,

I am totally new to multi track recording - my background is live sound.

We are looking at replacing our old mixing console and are looking for a multi track option.  Dante seems to be a good option and is available on the consoles we are considering.

But this is many months out.

What I would like to do is try this out on my Mac.

My thinking - which may expose my total lack of understanding here - is to install Dante Virtual Soundcard on my Mac and use GarageBand for some basic recording.  My problem is that I have no source for the source inputs.  Is there a test application, or files of music tracks or something that would contain multitrack recordings that I can install/run somewhere on my network or Mac that will send the audio tracks to my Mac/DVS/Garageband that will allow me play with this?  If files containing multitrack recordings are available - what are the file types/expensions?

I am not even sure my question makes sense?  But I have to start somewhere.

Matthias McCready

Re: Dante Recording
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 02:42:41 PM »

Hi,

We are looking at replacing our old mixing console and are looking for a multi track option.  Dante seems to be a good option and is available on the consoles we are considering.

My thinking - which may expose my total lack of understanding here - is to install Dante Virtual Soundcard on my Mac and use GarageBand for some basic recording.  My problem is that I have no source for the source inputs.  Is there a test application, or files of music tracks or something that would contain multitrack recordings that I can install/run somewhere on my network or Mac that will send the audio tracks to my Mac/DVS/Garageband that will allow me play with this?  If files containing multitrack recordings are available - what are the file types/expensions?

Hello Peter,

Most digital consoles these days can recording multitracks and do virtual playback; granted for some consoles this will mean an additional I/O card.

For software I would recommend Reaper, as it is incredibly light weight, and it works great for multitrack recording and playback. it also quite inexpensive.

While Dante Virtual Soundcard works great one thing I would consider with that is that due to chip shortages getting Dante devices can be quite difficult at the moment. Many Dante products seem to be unobtainium for then near future.

For practice on the DAW and routing side you could download some multi-tracks from this website.

What consoles are you looking at?

What are your I/O needs?
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 08:28:02 PM »

Hi,

I think I'm understanding you and the answer is.... not really.

You could put DVS on two computers and send the tracks out of one computer to the second and try to record, but why. Thats a waste of time and money really.

DVS on a mac to record works really well. I do it 4 times a weekend and then upload those tracks to a google drive for archiving. I'm using a fairly standard iMac and Reaper. This is running alongside 3 CL5's, a 3224 and 1608 RIO boxes, and 2 QLXD-Q Shure recievers. This isn't even beginning to tax the network at all.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 12:54:50 PM »

Dante is a great way to connect multiple in/out devices to each other, but what would you be connecting you need Dante for? What I mean is that if you had say, a Behringer X32 with 32 inputs, you could connect a macbook with a USB cable and record 24 tracks from the mixer preamps straight into Cubase or the DAW of your choice. No need for Dante in that scenario. So what's your need? If you have multiple interesting devices, Dante can connect them up really nicely.

Karl Maciag

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 03:28:58 PM »

I don't think your idea of playing tracks from one DAW into another on the same machine will work....the audio will never really be leaving the machine to the network that Virtual Soundcard is connected to.

Are there any pros, or other churches in your area that might have a console with Dante connectivity you could check out? Try multi-track recording during a rehearsal to see how it plays in the DAW. There's also a lot of worship based multi-track websites where you might be able to get tracks to playback to test sending from your DAW to a console.

I'll echo the other posts that suggest Reaper as the DAW for this. It's very easy to setup and save templates that make replicating recording setups quick. Garage Band might be limited to do everything you will need.

One last thing, Audinate has online training that is free, and will answer many questions for you (even the ones you don't know you have yet). Spend some time learning the technology, and finding how this tech can make a lot of things easier in your setup. Levels 1 and 2 should be all you need for a typical HOW application.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 03:28:58 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.