Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Computer (not laptop) for audio software

(1/2) > >>

Helge A Bentsen:
I'm looking at building a mobile workstation with a computer/screen permanently installed to run software at gigs.
Mostly Lake Controller, WWB, Meyer Compass, EAW Resolution and Google Docs.
Anyone tried running this on a NUC?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/205603/intel-nuc-11-pro-kit-nuc11tnki5/specifications.html

I have space for a regular desktop size computer, but saving space and weight is tempting.

Bob Stone:

--- Quote from: Helge A Bentsen on June 27, 2022, 05:29:38 PM ---I'm looking at building a mobile workstation with a computer/screen permanently installed to run software at gigs.
Mostly Lake Controller, WWB, Meyer Compass, EAW Resolution and Google Docs.
Anyone tried running this on a NUC?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/205603/intel-nuc-11-pro-kit-nuc11tnki5/specifications.html

I have space for a regular desktop size computer, but saving space and weight is tempting.

--- End quote ---

I've got a NUC kicking around downstairs that is decent enough...basically laptop guts in a little desktop chassis.

The other ones to check out are the Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny as you can configure them a bit more and make sure you have the connectivity you need.

The last option, you could go with an industrial PC, some of them are fanless and more heat/shock/dust/moisture resistant if you need that.

Jim McKeveny:
Much of laptop world is fashion. Avoid that "refresh" cycle.  A fanless industrial PC where all of the likely fail-points (display, psu, keyboard) can easily swapped out is a great long life solution.

doug johnson2:
Not a NUC but I do this with a Dell Optiplex 9020 microcomputer and it has been rock solid.  I also run Live Professor on a Dell Optiplex 4050 small form factor with a Xeon processor and that has been solid as well.

Dave Pluke:

--- Quote from: doug johnson2 on June 29, 2022, 09:02:25 AM ---Not a NUC but I do this with a Dell Optiplex 9020 microcomputer and it has been rock solid.  I also run Live Professor on a Dell Optiplex 4050 small form factor with a Xeon processor and that has been solid as well.

--- End quote ---

+1 for the smaller form factor Optiplexes. I've scored several off the Dell Outlet site, with good results. If Win 11 is critical, make sure the CPU meets Microsoft's requirements before purchasing.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version