Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

any help appreciated - feeling rather foolish, lighting newbie!

<< < (2/2)

Jeff Lelko:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on June 26, 2022, 02:04:58 PM ---So, question is to Paul or anyone else running low end DMX controllers - do they hold together long enough to be useful?

--- End quote ---

I've got a Behringer Eurolite going on 17 years if that counts for anything!  Not that I'd really recommend something of that nature in this decade...

--- Quote from: Steve-White on June 26, 2022, 02:04:58 PM ---Paul you mentioned using a combination of both hardware and software controllers.  That's the direction I would like to go with Software control on the main lighting system for Dance Floor universe with a variety of fixtures including a dozen moving heads.  For the DJ console I would like a hardware controller so the DJ can set his lights to preference during the show (par cans in the truss focused down onto console areas).

--- End quote ---

That's actually similar to what I did prior to buying my larger ETC desk.  I had the Behringer running strobes and relay packs for effects lights and MagicQ PC running my moving lights.  It was okay.  I've done similar master/slave setups with one console triggering a second which is being run as a media server for pixels.  The one advantage to going this route is that with the DJ's controller feeding into your controller you'd always have the ability to override or at least take control of the full system.  A MIDI controller into your software can be programmed the same way.

--- Quote from: Steve-White on June 28, 2022, 08:47:26 PM ---This may be the ticket right here:  https://www.elationlighting.eu/sdc12

--- End quote ---

These are very popular in the special effects industry as well as for basic troubleshooting on larger systems.  That's really about it.  I'd wager you'd be better off with something like the Chauvet Obey 4 - at least that one gives you some nice color macros and other goodies.  Any sub-$100 controller likely won't last a decade, but assuming that it's paid for on its first gig then you really can't complain...  Hope this helps!

Paul Johnson:
That varytec is a neat fixture. 7 hours use on a 6 hour charge would work for me - and I have some of their other kit that's been unused and been solid. Thomann rarely sell anything that is naff due to their warranty. I use some non-waterpoof uplighter and they are great and so quick to rig. The only thing to remember is that when you have lots, charging needs managing - a small flight case with notches for emerging cables, so you open the lid, pull out the cables and off you go - just a single mains cable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version