ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hidden mono summing on iOS devices  (Read 479 times)

Frank Koenig

Hidden mono summing on iOS devices
« on: June 22, 2022, 08:00:45 PM »

I was reminded of this by the various accounts of stereo-to-mono travails in the “I guess it had to happen…” thread.

I discovered that iOS devices can sum a stereo program to mono but the setting to do this is under “Accessibility”, not where you would expect it along with the other playback settings such as EQ. Having this might save the day when you suddenly need a mono program and don’t have a mixer, passive summing Y-cord or other means handy. For what it’s worth.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

dave briar

• Helena Montana
Re: Hidden mono summing on iOS devices
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 11:16:40 AM »

I was reminded of this by the various accounts of stereo-to-mono travails in the “I guess it had to happen…” thread.

I discovered that iOS devices can sum a stereo program to mono but the setting to do this is under “Accessibility”, not where you would expect it along with the other playback settings such as EQ. Having this might save the day when you suddenly need a mono program and don’t have a mixer, passive summing Y-cord or other means handy. For what it’s worth.

--Frank
Interesting. You’re right of course but I never would have thought of looking there. Thanks for sharing.
..db

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 11:57:32 PM »

The mono option has been under accessibility for many generations of IOS but I agree it seems a bit odd putting it there.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Andy_Leviss

• Broadway sound engineer, QLab support guru
    • @SoundGuyAndy
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 10:26:19 AM »

The mono option has been under accessibility for many generations of IOS but I agree it seems a bit odd putting it there.

Not odd at all. It's designed to help folks who cannot hear stereo or have out-of-balance stereo hearing, whether due to hearing loss, auditory processing issues, etc. It's not intended for users like us, although it's sometimes useful for us.

One thing to be super conscious of on both iOS and MacOS is to make absolutely sure you reset this after you're done using it. I've seen many folks, myself included, chase their tale with weird routing issues that end up as, "Oh, crud, I set it to mono for a gig months ago, and forgot to restore it".
Andy Leviss
@SoundGuyAndy
Broadway/Concert Sound Engineer

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 10:37:42 AM »

Not odd at all. It's designed to help folks who cannot hear stereo or have out-of-balance stereo hearing, whether due to hearing loss, auditory processing issues, etc. It's not intended for users like us, although it's sometimes useful for us.

One thing to be super conscious of on both iOS and MacOS is to make absolutely sure you reset this after you're done using it. I've seen many folks, myself included, chase their tale with weird routing issues that end up as, "Oh, crud, I set it to mono for a gig months ago, and forgot to restore it".

Regardless of its intended use, most people I have spoken to don't feel the function is in an obvious place on their phones.
I went looking for it - as a Mac user for more years than I can remember, I know they have habit of doing this so I always look in places I wouldn't imagine finding something.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 11:05:55 AM »

I find it amusing that you're showing up as a "Newbie".

I hope things are going well for you, Andy, and it's good to see you back here!
"Art has always held a tenuous position between acts of subversion and status symbol collected by those who profit from the very status quo the art purports to subvert." - Stephen Colbert

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 11:08:36 AM »

I find it amusing that you're showing up as a "Newbie".

I hope things are going well for you, Andy, and it's good to see you back here!

Right now he better be putting mics on my next panel…

Mac
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 02:43:46 PM by Mac Kerr »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 12:40:31 PM »

I have been known to do this once or twice....

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 01:05:16 PM »

There are several features found under 'accessibility' on Apple devices that could make sense in different places.  I think part of their reasoning to put certain features there is because they are trying to make it easier for those that need to make accessibility adjustments to their devices to be able to find the features they need under that setting.

Of course, they could put those settings in multiple places, eg the sound setting could be under accessibility AND under the sound setting tabs, but generally the like to avoid clutter even though this specific case would make MUCH more sense to be at least available (or visible) under the sound settings tab.
Brian Jojade

Taylor Hall

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 09:12:14 AM »

This same setting has also been on android devices for a good long while. I use it outside its intended purpose for when I only have one IEM in while working in the shop. Allows me to hear what's going on around me (still haven't found an ANC passthrough system that works well enough for me) while getting all the program material from what I'm listening to. It can be really trippy sometimes only hearing one channel and wondering 'hey where's that guitar riff?' in any given song.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 09:12:14 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.