ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: crown iTech 5000hd vs macrotech 5000i  (Read 425 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
crown iTech 5000hd vs macrotech 5000i
« on: June 22, 2022, 06:08:52 PM »

My main amp that I use is the Crown iTech 5000HD.  Generally speaking, I don't use any of the internal processing, using external crossovers etc.

I'm looking to pick up a couple emergency backup amps, and found a line on the Macrotech 5000's for pretty good prices.  From what it looks like, they appear to basically be the same thing, just the iTech has front controls to access the settings, whereas the Macrotech can only be adjusted through the network connection.

Is there any reason I wouldn't want the Macrotechs, other than it's a discontinued model?
Brian Jojade

Mike Monte

• My website
Re: crown iTech 5000hd vs macrotech 5000i
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 06:30:21 PM »

My main amp that I use is the Crown iTech 5000HD.  Generally speaking, I don't use any of the internal processing, using external crossovers etc.

I'm looking to pick up a couple emergency backup amps, and found a line on the Macrotech 5000's for pretty good prices.  From what it looks like, they appear to basically be the same thing, just the iTech has front controls to access the settings, whereas the Macrotech can only be adjusted through the network connection.

Is there any reason I wouldn't want the Macrotechs, other than it's a discontinued model?

FWIW I use Itechs for subs in my 3 way/4 way racks.
They are the original series 6k/8k (ribbon cables/front panels swapped out under warranty).
They have been great for me for a long time....
I don't do a ton of sound work, but enough to speak with some experience.  They have served me well in my applications.

I do carry a spare Itech5000HD (purchased 4 years ago as a B stock factory refurb unit from an authorized dealer) with me to every gig....
why?
On the above unit I can adjust the Voltage/Watts output (via the front panel) to fit an emergency application.  (Same with the original series Itechs) If I need 1250 watts at 8ohms for a sub, I've got that, if I need 200 watts at 8 ohms for two horns, I got that.

I am not quite sure as to the flexibility of the newer MacroTech series.

My Itech5000HD is my "swiss knife" / spare amp.   

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 07:50:52 PM »

Yeah, the iTech 5000 is a beast of an amp, with lots of bells and whistles for sure. That's why it's my main amp for everything.

For my use, I don't NEED all of that functionality most of the time.  What I'm looking at is a spare amp that for the most part can be a drop in replacement for the iTech if crap hits the fan.  Programming via a computer vs the front screen display isn't much of an issue.  Computer is actually easier.

If the only difference is the lack of display on the front, the MacroTechs will be a great backup, and save me quite a bit.  I'm just wondering if there's something else I'm missing.

As a backup amp, I'm guessing there's not much difference that I'm going to need to worry about.
Brian Jojade

John Schalk

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 10:07:17 AM »

I do not own either of these amps, but I have been researching them to drive some new subs for my cousin's A/V business.  I thought that the newer IT 5000 HD was a bit more efficient with wall power than the 5000i, but I just compared their AC Power & Thermal charts and they are exactly the same.  At least for stereo 4 ohm loads & 120 volt services.  The main difference that I can see from reading their user guides is that the older 5000i does not have what we think of as full DSP capability.  The 5000i amps can do load monitoring and have compression and limiting, but they don't include cross over filters or Eq.  A search for the word "filter" in the user manual didn't produce any results in the Software chapter.  Since you are not using those features, it sure looks like the 5000i would be a good backup amp option for you.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 05:38:31 PM »

I have 9x Crown MT 5000i's, 8 in the main system and one backup amp.  They drive JBL 2269 18's on one channel and JBL VT4886's on the other channel.

Outboard processing.  For the condition the amps were in when I bought them (pristine, air filters were't even dirty) and price ($1100/amp) they are bringing back a good ROI.

They get it done.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 10:41:59 PM »

Just to make it absolutely clear, and since you mentioned it, they don't have onboard DSP like the iTechs do. The MT's only have monitoring capability and a couple of simple things like polarity flip and a limiter that can be accessed through the software. There are no crossover filters or EQ or anything like that.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 10:41:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.