ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendation for light console  (Read 3043 times)

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: Recommendation for light console
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2022, 05:48:54 PM »

Most manufacturers don't support their obsolete consoles with up-to-date profiles.  Writing your own profiles can be a real PIA but it really depends on both the console and the fixture.  I've heard rumors of companies that make usb drive replacements for consoles that still have floppy drives, but that doesn't ensure that a modern profile will work in that console.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 11:19:20 PM by Don T. Williams »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2022, 01:43:05 AM »

Don't know the ETC.

The Smartfade is a good board but also about a decade past its prime.  One of the shops I occasionally do work in has a basic Smartfade on hand and it's good for bench testing fixtures or for very basic playback but it's nothing I'd suggest buying for primetime use today. 

To the OP, any thoughts or input on where the suggestions are going so far?

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 02:57:36 AM »

I would suggest trying to find someone with a Lightshark Ls-1 and have a play with that.
It’s definitely not an MA or similar and the prices have gone up, but it’s fairly simple to use, it’s being updated fairly regularly, has 2 universes available straight out the back (with up to 8 via sACN/ ArtNet).

John M. Roll

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 01:59:10 PM »

The Smartfade is a good board but also about a decade past its prime.  One of the shops I occasionally do work in has a basic Smartfade on hand and it's good for bench testing fixtures or for very basic playback but it's nothing I'd suggest buying for primetime use today. 

To the OP, any thoughts or input on where the suggestions are going so far?

Jeff,
Most all the replies are of the opinion that software is the way to go. I've decided NOT to give up on the DPro and am revisiting the tutorials and recreating the pallets and cues. I will most likely pairing the laptop with a midi controller. Any suggestions on that? I might add 2-4 movers in the near future. First, I get Dpro going with what I have, then go from there.

John

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 04:08:44 PM »

ChurchGear.com has two used Jands Hog 500 consoles and two used ETC SmartFade ML24 consoles for sale right now.  Are either one of those worth considering?  The Jands seems particularly old when I looked it up so I'd be concerned about how hard it is to import or create the right "DMX patch" for newer lighting fixtures.

I do understand the basic recommendation on this thread so far, which is to go with a software solution and a midi controller.  However, the only lighting software that I have any experience with is DMXIS and ENTTEC doesn't sell or support it anymore so I have to either learn a console, or learn new software.

Do you already own an Enttec DMX PRO usb box? That works with Chamsys already. You could get started for free if you already invested in the enttec box.

MagicQ makes a ton of sense for folks in your position. It gives up nothing in functionality over the other popular desks, but it lets you grow the system as needed. You can get a dongle for 20 bucks that handles one full universe, or go all the way with full fader and programming wings which are super nice to have on a big, fast moving show. These wings can be used to expand desks as well if you find yourself running a huge rig sometime in the future.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John M. Roll

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2022, 07:25:55 PM »

Hi John, so to put it lightly, the Scenesetter leaves a lot to be desired these days.  It's a relic of a simpler time when dimmers and par cans were the norm.  Not only will the Scenesetter exhaust its 48 channels with just a few modern fixtures, it also lacks the workflow and processing horsepower needed to properly implement today's intelligent lights. 

Software and a fader wing is the common sense choice unless you're willing to spend a few thousand dollars on a basic console.  I strongly support spending good money on a modern moving light console if you can justify the need, but before spending any money it's a good idea to define what your actual requirements are for the new board so that you can size it correctly.  Hope this helps!
Jeff,
Thanks for the input. I have decided to revisit the Dpro software. You mentioned a fader wing. Can you give me an example ?

John

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2022, 12:16:10 AM »

Jeff,
Thanks for the input. I have decided to revisit the Dpro software. You mentioned a fader wing. Can you give me an example ?

No worries, and sorry for the delay in posting back - I've been on the road the past week working a few jobs.

So if you're sticking with Enttec then naturally I'd suggest using one of Enttec's wings (link).  They're discontinued now but can still be readily found with a quick internet search.  Since D-Pro supports OSC commanding any surface capable of using this protocol can generally be used for control.  An internet search of "OSC Fader Wing" will give you several options to explore.  I'll caution you that these will require a bit more configuration out of the box compared to the Enttec wings meant to work with their own software, but ultimately either solution can work.  Hope this helps!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2022, 12:16:10 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.