ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Premium Speakers on Sub Poles  (Read 3410 times)

Paul Mayer

Premium Speakers on Sub Poles
« on: June 18, 2022, 12:40:34 PM »

What are your favorite boxes to use on sticks?  Powered or self powered.
I just bought a pair of Fulcrum FA22AC's (impulse buy, they are hard to find), but I wasn't able to demo the Meyer X40 to compare the two.  The Fulcrums aren't going anywhere but hopefully I made the right choice. 

A few other contenders for good point source boxes you can use on sticks:

DnB Y7 - Passive, 2x 8" and a 1x 1.4" CD
RCF TT 25-A - Active 15" tops.  Aren't too expensive to their competition
Meyer Ultra X40 - 52lbs, 2x 8" drivers and a 3" CD loaded into a horn.  Replacement to the UPT series.
Danley SM80 - "Synergy Horn" design.  I haven't heard these myself but they get a lot of love on here
DB Technologies IG3T/IG4T - Light weight boxes that can be arrayed. 
Martin CDD Live - Coaxial Designs, self-powered

What are your favorites?  Any that sound the best to you?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 12:53:03 PM by Paul Mayer »

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Premium Speakers on Sub Poles
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 01:02:18 PM »

If you are talking premium I'd include the TW Audio T20.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 02:43:22 PM »

The Y10P is my favorite speaker in our shop. One top over two V-Subs is a potent combo.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 05:40:56 PM »

I just bought a pair of Fulcrum FA22AC's (impulse buy, they are hard to find), but I wasn't able to demo the Meyer X40 to compare the two.  The Fulcrums aren't going anywhere but hopefully I made the right choice. 

Meyer Ultra X40 - 52lbs, 2x 8" drivers and a 3" CD loaded into a horn.  Replacement to the UPT series.
Danley SM80 - "Synergy Horn" design.  I haven't heard these myself but they get a lot of love on here

I am a huge fan of the Meyer X40's. It is a fantastic sounding box, with a lot of output. I have been very impressed with them every gig I have used them on.

---

For corporate X40's over some 750's is a pretty killer setup. Although for music, unless it is a very small venue, I usually prefer 900's.

---

I will say the Martin CDD is an incredible box for the price. It also has very interesting pattern that I have not encountered with any other box.

---

I haven't heard the D&B Y7, but I did do a shootout with a D&B 24S, L'Acoustics X12, Martin CDD 12, and the Adamson Point 12.

I really disliked the tonality of the Adamson comparatively to everything else. I preferred L'Acoustics and the Martin over the D&B. Granted the Martin CDD ran out of gas long before anything else, but was also much cheaper than everything else.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 05:13:39 AM »

I'm still happy with my IG4T's and IG2T's. Light and easy to get high enough for coverage and sound great as well. Just a good multipurpose box.

Douglas R. Allen

Photo was a show with "No band gear on the ground" and 45 minute setup so it was a mess.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 03:02:53 PM »

I'm still happy with my IG4T's and IG2T's. Light and easy to get high enough for coverage and sound great as well. Just a good multipurpose box.

Douglas R. Allen

Photo was a show with "No band gear on the ground" and 45 minute setup so it was a mess.

What's that stage sound like with the metal roofing on all sides!!!

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 05:03:11 PM »

What's that stage sound like with the metal roofing on all sides!!!

I look forward to that stage every year  ::) . The normal things you'd expect. Little to no snare, overheads in the mix, and plenty bright. I didn't care for the subs left/right either but they changed things so now everything has to be up on the stage. Monitors were not much of a challenge even with all the metal.  A 2 1/2 hour show so it's do the best we can and go home. Overall though the event planners, the city putting it on and the crew that bring the stage in the second the street closes make it a fun show. I do feel like I've been run over by a truck doing the fast setup, mix the show and then get everything off and loaded so they can open the street at the end of the night. Yeah, I'll be there next year if I get the call. 8)

Douglas R. Allen
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 05:30:46 AM by Douglas R. Allen »

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 11:51:23 PM »

I have never heard the Fulcrum speakers but everything that I have read puts them up with just about anything else in their class.
Someone on the forum might be able to confirm, but I heard that Fulcrum discontinued their self powered line of speakers because they were having issues with the amplifiers.

Danley SM80 really doesn't belong on your list as they are not self powered.
I have both Danley SM80 and dbTech IG4T. The IG4T are nice sounding speakers but the Danleys easily outrun the IG4T. The dbTech are easier to deploy as they are lighter in weight and are self powered.

Thomas Le

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 07:56:47 AM »

This is in the lounge level, so my "small peas" self thinks the SRX800P series is pretty good in my book. So in this case, the 812 over 818. Still have not heard the DZR since no one in my area owns a system.

Paul Mayer

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 11:03:32 PM »

This is in the lounge level, so my "small peas" self thinks the SRX800P series is pretty good in my book. So in this case, the 812 over 818. Still have not heard the DZR since no one in my area owns a system.
I regularly use this system when DJing and do agree that it sounds great.  The projection on the 812p is excellent and the 818/828 are some of my favorite subs; they goes deep and for the price walk all over the competition.  I’d also like to hear the DZR as well, especially since the DSR is so well regarded around here

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 11:21:24 AM »

Years ago, I had the Fulcrum FA22ac and loved them... they sounded great and did everything I asked them to do; 600 person wedding in an extra large ballroom with a top 40 band, they could cover the room with ease.  Unfortunately, I sold them when I "retired" in 2016.  Well fast forward a few years, I'm back in it... and the FA22ac was on the top of my list to buy.  Well I couldn't find any on the used market.

I ended up purchasing 4x RCF TTP4A and I couldn't be any happier.  So far I've done a handful of shows and they tops continue to impress me.  I did a traditional Celtic festival with just 4 top and was able to cover the field with easy and the guest engineer was happy.  Then I did a hard rock/metal festival (4x TTP4A & 4x SRX828SP) in a 500-750 person ballroom and was pushing 110+ db all weekend (the SRX828SP was in Limit the entire time).
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Eric Iverson

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 02:27:53 PM »

Rick Powell

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2022, 12:05:53 AM »

We have a pair of SM80's and they are one of the first production runs of fall 2012, so we have had them for nearly 10 years. They serve the purpose and have rarely had an issue (we have replaced one diaphragm each and had to fix a loose wire on one of the crossovers in 10 years), they hold together incredibly well over distance, and are plenty loud for most of our applications. We also have a pair of Yamaha DZR 12s for miscellaneous applications, but have used them in place of the SM80s atop our subs and they did a very creditable job compared to the SM80s. They did not have the clarity at distance of the SM80 but had a little more low midrange content and have very good vocal intelligibility for spoken word and music.

John Finney

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2022, 08:05:27 PM »

I am a huge fan of the Meyer X40's. It is a fantastic sounding box, with a lot of output. I have been very impressed with them every gig I have used them on.

---

For corporate X40's over some 750's is a pretty killer setup. Although for music, unless it is a very small venue, I usually prefer 900's.

---

I will say the Martin CDD is an incredible box for the price. It also has very interesting pattern that I have not encountered with any other box.

---

I haven't heard the D&B Y7, but I did do a shootout with a D&B 24S, L'Acoustics X12, Martin CDD 12, and the Adamson Point 12.

I really disliked the tonality of the Adamson comparatively to everything else. I preferred L'Acoustics and the Martin over the D&B. Granted the Martin CDD ran out of gas long before anything else, but was also much cheaper than everything else.

The point source V10 would be the better D&B I would think, and I can speak very very highly of them, and then there’s the SM80.
SPL TD-1 x4, Yorkville Unity UCS1b Subs x4, Othorn Subs w/B&C 21SW152-4 drivers x2, Danley SH-100 x2, Danley TH-28 x2, Yorkville Unity U215 x2, EV ETX15p x4, EVXLTB15 x2, Tannoy V12 x2, Danley DSLP4800, XTA DP200, Yorkville U215 Processor, QSC PLD 4.5 x3, Crown MA12000i. also EAW, Meyer, JBL, Yamaha o1V ver2, QSC Touchmix 30

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2022, 08:05:27 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.