ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I just can't find a suitable amplifier (for serial connection) for MARTIN AUDIO  (Read 5012 times)

Leo Neri

For EDM you will want lots of subbage, and then some! In general most 18" subwoofers will go lower and louder than most 15" subs.

I would recommend 12" tops with as many subs as you can afford.

The reason I am recommending 12" over 15" for your application is because:

1) If you have a sub(s) taking care of your low end, you don't need a small speaker trying really hard to do the same thing. For example most powered speakers have an internal DSP option for "with sub." When this is engaged the top speaker doesn't focus on attempting to reproduce those freqencies, which gives it significantly more volume/power to focus on the stuff it is good at reproducing (say 100hz on up).

2) Anytime a speaker has more than two sizes of drivers (which is most speakers in existence ;-) ) there is a crossover going on. Roughly, a crossover decides that the high-frequency information goes to the tweeter/horn and that the lower frequency information goes to the woofer; this helps the speaker sound better, bu putting the driver in phase, and often keeps the drivers from going up in blue smoke.  ;) Most two-way boxes (woofer/horn), especially on the budget end of the speaker spectrum, can have kind of a weird crossover frequency that doesn't sound the most ideal. Thereby most budget friendly 12" boxes have a more reasonable crossover frequency.

---

As far as the EAW speaker you listed, I haven't heard it but....

the frequency spec is not a usable number for you.

It does produce 48hz, but at what volume compared to the rest of the speaker?

Almost any size speaker can technically produce 48hz (think of headphones or In-Ear-Monitors), but at what volume? If it produces 48hz at -40dB to the rest of the signal that is not very useful for you.

Thanks for the answer. But I still plan to go to the distributor and listen with the ears of the EAW RSX126. If interested, then I can share my subjective thoughts later...
If so, what can you say about the combination of Verse Insider 12 MKII and Insider Sub 15 MKII (but not 18, since the price difference is significant)

Leo Neri

For EDM you will want lots of subbage, and then some! In general most 18" subwoofers will go lower and louder than most 15" subs.

I would recommend 12" tops with as many subs as you can afford.

The reason I am recommending 12" over 15" for your application is because:

1) If you have a sub(s) taking care of your low end, you don't need a small speaker trying really hard to do the same thing. For example most powered speakers have an internal DSP option for "with sub." When this is engaged the top speaker doesn't focus on attempting to reproduce those freqencies, which gives it significantly more volume/power to focus on the stuff it is good at reproducing (say 100hz on up).

2) Anytime a speaker has more than two sizes of drivers (which is most speakers in existence ;-) ) there is a crossover going on. Roughly, a crossover decides that the high-frequency information goes to the tweeter/horn and that the lower frequency information goes to the woofer; this helps the speaker sound better, bu putting the driver in phase, and often keeps the drivers from going up in blue smoke.  ;) Most two-way boxes (woofer/horn), especially on the budget end of the speaker spectrum, can have kind of a weird crossover frequency that doesn't sound the most ideal. Thereby most budget friendly 12" boxes have a more reasonable crossover frequency.

---

As far as the EAW speaker you listed, I haven't heard it but....

the frequency spec is not a usable number for you.

It does produce 48hz, but at what volume compared to the rest of the speaker?

Almost any size speaker can technically produce 48hz (think of headphones or In-Ear-Monitors), but at what volume? If it produces 48hz at -40dB to the rest of the signal that is not very useful for you.

PS "If it produces 48hz at -40dB to the rest of the signal that is not very useful for you" - managed to find this specification along with the diagrams (https://eaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/RSX126_SPECS.pdf), what do you think? ...it turns out somewhere around 90 Hz at 0 dB :o and 50 Hz at -10 dB
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 04:41:59 PM by Leo Neri »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA

PS "If it produces 48hz at -40dB to the rest of the signal that is not very useful for you" - managed to find this specification along with the diagrams (https://eaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/RSX126_SPECS.pdf), what do you think? ...it turns out somewhere around 90 Hz at 0 dB :o and 50 Hz at -10 dB

-10dB @ 50Hz would be pretty common for a 12” 2-way loudspeaker.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.