Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

I guess it had to happen. I got canned from a festival.

(1/10) > >>

Scott Holtzman:
If you look back back at my first post, it's very humorous.  A local bass player, who works out, on my first "pro" gig chased me around the parking lot of the bar disparaging everything, including my lineage.  It was humbling but most important it was funny.  It led to an attitude that I only have a very small portion of gigs that matter and most wander back. 

Well I had a little festival, honestly the kind I would have thought was the Great Big Gig in The Sky.  Today it's just a gig.  I got the gig from another company and it was a loser with fleas but it was a good friend of his so we took good care of the customer.   I could not get get decent labor so I did the gig with two inexperienced techs.  We started late on the first day and the second day did not improve.  The turns looked like a monkey fucking a football with be calling patches over and over, mispatches, tracing wires somehow we were only behind 5 minutes at the end of the day but I felt like I fault a war. 

I was a bit arrogant and figured I could do the gig myself if I had to (wrong answer with my bad hip) and figuring out patch charts on a 48 channel snake is not within most people skills without training.  Th brainwaves also almost tore up my lift gate. 

The organizer comes over and can me.  Tells me we did a shit job last year (BS my wife and I did the first gig with them and it was spon on).  Consensus from public was it sounded great.  One of the bands hired me last year to do another event.

I don't really care the rate was too cheap and I have never been fired.  Just want to use the sounding board.  Oh to add to insult they shorted me. 

Art Welter:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on June 13, 2022, 01:27:46 AM ---  I got the gig from another company and it was a loser with fleas but it was a good friend of his so we took good care of the customer.   I could not get get decent labor so I did the gig with two inexperienced techs.

The organizer comes over and can me. 

I don't really care the rate was too cheap and I have never been fired.  Just want to use the sounding board.  Oh to add to insult they shorted me. 

--- End quote ---
Scott,

Well, at least you can add "been fired" to your resume now  ;D

Like Kenny wrote:
You've got to know
When to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done

Can't win 'em all, but knowing what it's like to lose can make it easier to walk away before you sign up for a loser.

Art

Brian Jojade:
Any time something goes wrong, you need to take an honest look back and see if you were in any way the source of the problem.

From what it sounds like, in this case, you accepted a gig at a price lower than it cost to properly provide service.  Not being able to find help is directly related to how much you're charging.  In the customer's eyes, they don't give a rats ass how you find the help or what you have to pay them to be there. They pay you to figure all of that shit out.  If the price the client wants to pay doesn't allow for that, and you still accept the job, well, that's on you. Now, either you have to work your ass off for no money, or you are going to end up with an upset customer that shouldn't have been a customer in the first place.

You're much better off in the long run saying NO when the numbers don't work out.  Let someone else lose money on the job.  Taking a job and failing costs not only today, but does mean your name may take a reputation hit, costing you in the future as well.

Jeff Lelko:
Sorry to hear that Scott.  It's never fun when things don't go right...or when dealing with people who will never be satisfied.  I've got a sound job coming up this weekend that was supposed to be easy until a phone call earlier today increased the complexity three-fold.  We'll see how it goes, but it'll be another one of those jobs where the rig the producer paid for won't be the right fit so I'll have to wing it with what they're getting and hope for the best. 

If you were in Florida I'd invite you to join the fun!  This is weekend is my last sound job before turning my attention to the Fourth of July, so if you stay a few weeks you can go on an all-expenses-paid cruise (of sorts) that comes with a REALLY CLOSE view of some fireworks! ;D

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on June 13, 2022, 10:23:55 PM ---Sorry to hear that Scott.  It's never fun when things don't go right...or when dealing with people who will never be satisfied.  I've got a sound job coming up this weekend that was supposed to be easy until a phone call earlier today increased the complexity three-fold.  We'll see how it goes, but it'll be another one of those jobs where the rig the producer paid for won't be the right fit so I'll have to wing it with what they're getting and hope for the best. 

If you were in Florida I'd invite you to join the fun!  This is weekend is my last sound job before turning my attention to the Fourth of July, so if you stay a few weeks you can go on an all-expenses-paid cruise (of sorts) that comes with a REALLY CLOSE view of some fireworks! ;D

--- End quote ---

If you are serious I am sure I could get a ticket on points.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version