ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio to Video sync problem  (Read 4418 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Audio to Video sync problem
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 02:34:52 AM »

VBR and CBR encodings using the same type of codec (mp3, aac) should align perfectly if the hardware clocks are in sync. If they do not, something is broken in the encoder or decoder. CBR is just easier for software to determine position and length due to the fixed number of bytes per time period. Some codecs add samples to the beginning of the file, shifting the audio slightly but that shift should be consistent for files encoded with the same codec type.
It's quite possibly  a frame rate mismatch as has been mentioned.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 12:40:00 PM »

It's quite possibly  a frame rate mismatch as has been mentioned.

It wouldn't be a frame rate mismatch unless one was being played back at a different frame rate that it was recorded in. The issue is how long a particular clock thinks a second is, not how many frames or samples it puts in that second. If one clock measures a second a little differently than another clock, the recordings will drift.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2022, 03:43:02 PM »

It wouldn't be a frame rate mismatch unless one was being played back at a different frame rate that it was recorded in. The issue is how long a particular clock thinks a second is, not how many frames or samples it puts in that second. If one clock measures a second a little differently than another clock, the recordings will drift.
But if the NLE thinks they're the same rate, then the sound will be off.

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2022, 04:29:09 PM »

How long was the track? All I'm thinking is maybe it's a 44.1 vs 48K mismatch - not always evident on speech?

If you are stuck, then simply stretch/shrink the track in a DAW till it fits

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2022, 08:54:35 PM »

But if the NLE thinks they're the same rate, then the sound will be off.

The laptop audio was off from the camera audio/video. That's the problem. A slight mismatch between the laptop clock (assuming it was an audio interface) and the camera's internal clock would explain it. They're recorded at slightly different rates then played back at the same rate.

Cass Johnson

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2022, 11:10:37 AM »

This is an issue when one file is recorded as VBR (variable bitrate) and the other is record as CBR (constant bitrate).

I ran sound for a wedding and recorded the audio from the console on my Tascam DR-40, which records in CBR. My mother-in-law captured the event on her iPhone, which recorded in VBR.

The files end up tracking differently and I have to match them up in post- using time stretching/shrinking.

I actually believe it's a "Clock Drifting issue."  My audio guy ran our wireless packs into a laptop and recorded with Studio One Artisan - The true sync version is from one of the cameras.
My software is Davinci Resolve Studio 17 and Studio One Artisan - My only option is to try to use studio one to match the clean audio (from the computer) to the audio captured with the camera.
I just don't know how to do that.

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2022, 05:41:52 PM »

I use a product called PluralEyes which makes things like this a snap.
Colorado Springs, CO

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2022, 06:12:49 PM »

I actually believe it's a "Clock Drifting issue."  My audio guy ran our wireless packs into a laptop and recorded with Studio One Artisan - The true sync version is from one of the cameras.
My software is Davinci Resolve Studio 17 and Studio One Artisan - My only option is to try to use studio one to match the clean audio (from the computer) to the audio captured with the camera.
I just don't know how to do that.

You should be able to do it in Resolve.  You can adjust either the audio or the video.

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2022, 09:28:46 PM »

You should be able to do it in Resolve.  You can adjust either the audio or the video.

I'd do the audio. If you stretch/compress the video you either end up with double frames (if you shorten the video) or you have to interpolate frames (if you lengthen the video). If you do audio it's essentially just a sample rate conversion, which is fairly benign these days if you just do it once.

william adams

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2022, 03:50:16 PM »

We recently recorded a Live Studio Talk Show (which can't be re-filmed) although we had basic "In Camera" audio and it wasn't that good. Our sound tech recorded the show through two wireless lavaliers into PreSonus "Studio One" on a laptop. When the tracks were provided to me they are 1:55 (one minute-fifty five seconds) longer than the video and in camera audio. HUGE problem - the audio is crystal clear but I have no idea if there is anything I can do in order to reduce the overall timing to fit the video. I really hope someone can direct me to a fix or the entire show is a wash.

I had that issue once

get the video edited and note exact length and start & stop points times

take audio and align correct start point  with start of video start time
'stretch'  audio to align stop points ending time

add audio to video
they should sync well enough that you cannot tell

« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 03:53:03 PM by william adams »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2022, 03:50:16 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.