Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

How loud is 115 dB A-weighted?

(1/5) > >>

John L Nobile:
My guess is way too f'n loud. But I just got a rider that says:

"A Stereo sound system capable of delivering an undistorted, full bandwidth SPL of 115dB (Aweighted)
to the entire audience area."

I do my metering with a C weight and average 105 dB at FOH with a room full of people ( 900). My PA can't do that. I can't even imagine how loud that is.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: John L Nobile on June 09, 2022, 02:23:01 PM ---My guess is way too f'n loud. But I just got a rider that says:

"A Stereo sound system capable of delivering an undistorted, full bandwidth SPL of 115dB (Aweighted)

I do my metering with a C weight and average 105 dB at FOH with a room full of people ( 900). My PA can't do that. I can't even imagine how loud that is.

--- End quote ---

IT'S REALLY DAMN LOUD!

Brian Jojade:
It's stupid loud.  BUT - a system capable of that can be turned down to a reasonable level.

Silly specs like this don't put enough information to actually be useful. What's 'full bandwidth' and what's the duration that you need to achieve that SPL?  Is a sine sweep good enough to pass the test?

Just for raw numbers sake, if you are using point source speakers and have a room 100 feet deep, not taking into account room reflections, et al, your point source speaker would need to be capable of producing 145dB at 1 meter.  There aren't too many speakers that could offer that sort of sustained volume on the market.

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: John L Nobile on June 09, 2022, 02:23:01 PM ---My guess is way too f'n loud. But I just got a rider that says:

--- End quote ---
I am sure they got their weighting mixed up.

115A is beyond painfully loud.  And it can't be because of lots of bass-because the bass is rolled off in the A scale.

I like it loud, but I could not stand to be around 115A.  At least without good ear protection.

Helge A Bentsen:
Well, 115dBA isn't that loud.
Because it lacks a time and distance reference, it could be a snare drum (130dBA ish) at 5.6m. So, a small club can easily be 115dBA from the snare drum.

Now, if we're talking 115dBA Leq15 for instance, it's seriously loud.
I provided for a show once that hit 108dBA Leq15 at FOH (20m from stage outdoors), didn't have any foam ear plugs so I had to wear my Ultraphones over molded ear plugs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version