Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Excess sound being picked up

(1/2) > >>

Ryan Reicker:
Currently have 4 wireless mics and we have two mic’s picking up excess sound and I am puzzled as to what could be causing this. If I cue them up on the TF3 you hear the monitors plus their voice but the surrounding noise is tinny, the other 2 wireless mics don’t pic this up. The two offending channels don’t peak or clip.

I am not a pro by any means so
Keep it simple stupid.!.

Thanks

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: Ryan Reicker on May 29, 2022, 05:32:50 PM ---Currently have 4 wireless mics and we have two mic’s picking up excess sound and I am puzzled as to what could be causing this. If I cue them up on the TF3 you hear the monitors plus their voice but the surrounding noise is tinny, the other 2 wireless mics don’t pic this up. The two offending channels don’t peak or clip.

I am not a pro by any means so
Keep it simple stupid.!.

Thanks

--- End quote ---

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing the two offending channels have more gain than the other two. That could be on the TF3 somewhere (headamp, compressor, digital trim, etc) or it could be in the mic itself, or the reciever. All of these spots have some kind of gain controls to fiddle with.

What you are hearing sounds like "bleed" or basically it's every thing on stage that you don't want, coming into the mic. If the microphone gain is higher than it needs to be, you'll pick up every noise around you. Sometimes this happens with a low-volume singer, or an inexperienced singer/speaker that doesn't want the mic any where near their sound-hole.

There is one hard ans fast rule in sound reinforcement. The loudest sound at the mic wins.

Ryan Reicker:
Hey Tim,

Thanks for the response, I was actually live in the service (not running the mixer but helping a new soundman)and posted that from my cell phone. I took some time after the service to check a few things so I have some more information.

Channel 1: Gain= +26, Shure PG58, Attenuated, standing directly in front of a monitor about 6 feet back. This also had the compressor on at 37%, can't remember exactly but i want to say it was between 2:1 and a 3:1 ratio and out gain was +4.6. We turned this off part way though the service when we noticed it was on, there was 0 change.

Channel 2: Gain= +29, Shure SM58, Default, NOT standing directly in front of a monitor about 6 feet back.

Channel 3: Gain= +28, Shure SM58, Default, NOT standing directly in front of a monitor about 6 feet back.

Channel 4: Gain= +2, Shure SM58, Default, standing directly in front of a monitor about 6 feet back.

So channel 1 and channel 2 where the culprits of having the "bleed" effect. If I compared these to channels 3 and 4 it was night and day.

The receivers don't have any additional gain settings on them that I can find either. Channels 1 and 2 were not peaking and were sitting perfect on the gain meter.

Kevin Maxwell:

--- Quote from: Ryan Reicker on May 30, 2022, 08:46:19 AM ---Hey Tim,

Thanks for the response, I was actually live in the service (not running the mixer but helping a new soundman)and posted that from my cell phone. I took some time after the service to check a few things so I have some more information.

Channel 1: Gain= +26, Shure PG58, Attenuated, standing directly in front of a monitor about 6 feet back. This also had the compressor on at 37%, can't remember exactly but i want to say it was between 2:1 and a 3:1 ratio and out gain was +4.6. We turned this off part way though the service when we noticed it was on, there was 0 change.

Channel 2: Gain= +29, Shure SM58, Default, NOT standing directly in front of a monitor about 6 feet back.

Channel 3: Gain= +28, Shure SM58, Default, NOT standing directly in front of a monitor about 6 feet back.

Channel 4: Gain= +2, Shure SM58, Default, standing directly in front of a monitor about 6 feet back.

So channel 1 and channel 2 where the culprits of having the "bleed" effect. If I compared these to channels 3 and 4 it was night and day.

The receivers don't have any additional gain settings on them that I can find either. Channels 1 and 2 were not peaking and were sitting perfect on the gain meter.

--- End quote ---

Depending on the wireless systems there are more places than just the mixer that will affect the gain. There is at the transmitter and the receiver and the receiver may have a switch or different connector for a mic level or line level output.

One thing I would suggest that you try is with the receivers and the transmitters only turn one system on at a time and see if it sounds the same way or not. You must have only one transmitter on and one receiver on for this test to be valid. You are testing to see if there is any RF interaction with the wireless mic systems. With the fact that mic 4 is only +2 compared to the others around +28 there is definitely different levels coming from the wireless systems. Unless the +2 is a typo.       

Tim Weaver:
Might be a good chance to hire a pro to come in on a rehearsal day to check things over, give you some instruction and leave things at a good starting point for Sunday. It is money very well spent.

Post your location and let's see if anybody here is in your area?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version