ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you resist the urge…  (Read 3726 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
How do you resist the urge…
« on: May 28, 2022, 12:09:24 AM »

You go to a venue. There’s a glaring issue with the mix. Low and behold, the band didn’t put a WI-FI password on their mixer and you’ve got mixing station installed on your phone. You could easily just go in and take care of it, but know you shouldn’t. But it sounds so bad and would be so easy to fix…..
Brian Jojade

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: How do you resist the urge…
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 12:16:44 AM »

Hmmmm interesting situation.

Bob Stone

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 12:27:03 AM »

Can't say I've ever been in that situation...I think I'd go muck with it lol

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 12:39:39 AM »

Can't say I've ever been in that situation...I think I'd go muck with it lol
The decision to muck with it is directly proportional to the number of drinks one has had. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 07:43:40 AM »

You go to a venue. There’s a glaring issue with the mix. Low and behold, the band didn’t put a WI-FI password on their mixer and you’ve got mixing station installed on your phone. You could easily just go in and take care of it, but know you shouldn’t. But it sounds so bad and would be so easy to fix…..

Although I don't use it, I'm gonna get the mix station app!
It would be kind of amusing to see someone's wonk settings...maybe I'll see a "smiley face" or two -haha!

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 08:41:13 AM »

I guess that would be all well and good until someone cracked into your mix. Then how would you feel? When I go to a venue I go to listen to the band and for the most part can ignore the mix. The better bands sound ok even with a somewhat "different" mix. I feel if I was to unknowingly adjust someone else's mix without their knowledge, certainly if they are mixing off stage, that would be the most unprofessional thing I could do. If there was a FOH guy I'd go up and ask him/her how things are going if they had time to talk. I may just find there is issues with the PA, or band, ( Player X is drunk again and won't turn down or up, or someone has just broke up with their partner...) etc. that is effecting the mix. If they are doing sound from stage I'd wait until the end of a set and again ask how things are going first then if asked mention what I'm hearing.   
  Last is of course is the sound coming out what the band wants? Maybe that mix is "Their sound". In which case I head for the door and think of the cover charge, ticket as a donation to the venue to keep bands coming in. Maybe the next one will be better. I've had nights where I've thought my mixes where ok and others where I just couldn't get what was coming out to sound good to me. Even with people saying they thought the band sounded great. It's all relative and a matter of a persons point of view as to what is good.
  I would guess if a person hacks into another bands PA they are responsible for it and any damage incurred. If a person hacks in and for some reason puts feedback into a IEM mix and causes hearing damage is that person now lined up for a lawsuit? Something to think about.

Douglas R. Allen

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 09:45:15 AM »

This.

I guess that would be all well and good until someone cracked into your mix. Then how would you feel? When I go to a venue I go to listen to the band and for the most part can ignore the mix. The better bands sound ok even with a somewhat "different" mix. I feel if I was to unknowingly adjust someone else's mix without their knowledge, certainly if they are mixing off stage, that would be the most unprofessional thing I could do. If there was a FOH guy I'd go up and ask him/her how things are going if they had time to talk. I may just find there is issues with the PA, or band, ( Player X is drunk again and won't turn down or up, or someone has just broke up with their partner...) etc. that is effecting the mix. If they are doing sound from stage I'd wait until the end of a set and again ask how things are going first then if asked mention what I'm hearing.   
  Last is of course is the sound coming out what the band wants? Maybe that mix is "Their sound". In which case I head for the door and think of the cover charge, ticket as a donation to the venue to keep bands coming in. Maybe the next one will be better. I've had nights where I've thought my mixes where ok and others where I just couldn't get what was coming out to sound good to me. Even with people saying they thought the band sounded great. It's all relative and a matter of a persons point of view as to what is good.
  I would guess if a person hacks into another bands PA they are responsible for it and any damage incurred. If a person hacks in and for some reason puts feedback into a IEM mix and causes hearing damage is that person now lined up for a lawsuit? Something to think about.

Douglas R. Allen
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2022, 10:50:14 AM »

For me, it is easy to resist the urge.  If I am an attendee and the show is unlistenable, I either leave or let the mgmt know.  I get paid to make mixes sound great; not going to tinker with someone else's system unless I am getting paid to do it.

That said, I once worked in a venue and was tasked with running sound for the openers for a well known 90s metal persona.  The touring engineer insisted I run the house system into his X32 so he "could keep an eye on" my mix.  That was code for sandbagging my mix and making it sound terrible.  Literally cut out anything below 200Hz and dicked with the EQ the whole time I was on the openers.  I got a hold of mgmt and got it squared away shortly thereafter.

So, no, I won't be that guy and tinker with another person's mix uninvited.

jon mccumber

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2022, 12:47:27 PM »

I have in the past , with bands that I was friends with, talked to them and asked if I could help. But I wouldn't just go in and tinker without permission.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 12:53:55 PM »

Have a beer, chill and make sure nobody is talking bad about your next show mix.  ;D Hopefully people will be saying you're mix is way better than that other guy.

Or you could inform the guy his wifi isn't password protected and that someone might be tempted to hack in and fix the issue with his mix LOL
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 02:00:48 PM by Jamin Lynch »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 12:53:55 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.