Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

How do you resist the urgeÖ

<< < (8/8)

Chris Hindle:

--- Quote from: John Roberts {JR} on June 03, 2022, 11:56:46 AM ---That reminds me, the bad mix I encountered in Cincinnati years ago, the bass player was completely missing from the mix...

Maybe he really sucked and the mixer was doing us a favor.  8)

JR

--- End quote ---
One of the wedding bands I worked for had a "guest" on Rhythm guitar.
3rd or 4th song in, and I lost his feed.
Swap snake to a new strip. Nada.
Go to stage and swap his Di feed to another snake channel. Nada
Notice he's wearing a shit eating grin, and strumming away happy as a clam.
Go to stage and swap his DI and XLR and put it to another snake channel, and a new strip on the board. Nada.

By this time, they have started another song, and he comes booming through the "new" setup just fine.
At the break, he comes up to me.. "I don't know all the songs yet, so I turn down my guitar, I saw you running around. Guess i should have told you."

At least the stage plot was correct, and the meal was great.
Chris.

Bill Meeks:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on June 02, 2022, 08:13:42 PM ---*My* standard for a mix of any genre:  if I can see a singer or performer I should be able to hear them, at some level, in the mix... and it helps if those sources are mixed kind of proportional to my taste (i.e., no "lead kick drum", no lead vox buried in the mix or swamped with EFX).  Helpful is a lack of feedback, unattributed noises (bad cables and hums/buzzes), etc. Beyond that I pretty much no longer care what acts sound like.  Someone holding the purse decided that whomever is mixing is their BE.  I'm the system engineer, I'm here to help make the rig sound the way the BE wants without endangering the rig or pissing off my actual client (the promoter or venue).  The rest is "art", as dubious as much of that can be...

--- End quote ---

I agree! I had not thought about it from your angle.

Kevin Maxwell:

--- Quote from: Bill Meeks on May 31, 2022, 06:21:55 PM ---Isn't the concept of a "good mix" quite subjective, though? Each person has their own idea of good. And that's true even with audiophiles. Then you add in regular Joe Listener who hears the majority of his music from lossy compressed formats like Spotify or iTunes through smartphone speakers or earbuds, and you really have a wide array of subjective opinion about what constitutes a "good mix".

--- End quote ---

I have been thinking about what you said. I didnít want to come across as the wise guy that I can be. To a certain extent a good mix can be subjective but a BAD mix is unmistakable.

The one point I was trying to make when I said with some groups I have had to work very hard to make the mix be good or maybe passable. But if I just sat there and said well they are all over the place and inconsistent in their levels and keyboard patches and I didnít do anything then I have not put the effort into getting a good mix. I use the things I have learned over the years to make them sound as good as I can. If they were better it would require less work on my part. Some people arenít capable of doing that work. 

There are some people (Bands) out there that have no business playing out in public. But I am not even talking about them. There are some people that just canít mix. But it isnít my place to tell them that.

And there are some people that are so new to it that they havenít learned what to do. I recently saw someoneís mixer scene that is so messed up I donít know where to start to try and help them without going in person to help them, which I would do if they werenít so far away from me.  I also canít tell how much of what I am seeing was handed to them like that and what have they messed up. Also I donít know how much of what is very obviously very bad attempt to EQ something and how much of this may be due to a very bad speaker install and how much is they kept digging till they were in a hole over their head.  I would be shocked from what I am seeing in this scene if it doesnít sound very bad.

Dan Mortensen:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on June 02, 2022, 08:13:42 PM ---...a lack of feedback, unattributed noises (bad cables and hums/buzzes), etc. Beyond that I pretty much no longer care what acts sound like.  Someone holding the purse decided that whomever is mixing is their BE.  I'm the system engineer, I'm here to help make the rig sound the way the BE wants without endangering the rig or pissing off my actual client (the promoter or venue).  The rest is "art", as dubious as much of that can be...

--- End quote ---

This. Which is why I'm happier to not be solely the system provider anymore and to not see very many BE's these days.

Bill Meeks:

--- Quote from: Kevin Maxwell on June 03, 2022, 01:35:54 PM ---I have been thinking about what you said. I didnít want to come across as the wise guy that I can be. To a certain extent a good mix can be subjective but a BAD mix is unmistakable.

--- End quote ---

I understand where you are coming from. I did not mean I was outright disagreeing with you. Rather, I was just observing that there can be "degrees" of good in my view. Of course there can also be obviously bad, too! Like say a +20 dB low-end haystack combined with a low-pass at 1K on the stereo bus -- all bass and nothing else (exaggeration to illustrate a point). Then there is the guy who smoked his high frequency hearing from too many years at stupendous SPL, and now his mix blows your head off with 2K - 4K, but it sounds great to him ;D.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version