ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Antenna Cominer Question  (Read 882 times)

Jesse Stern

• www.jsaudio.xyz
Re: Antenna Cominer Question
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 05:10:17 PM »

Each jumper to the split was about 12" long, then the run to the antenna was 25'.  I was using a Shure UA860SWB omni wideband antenna to transmit.  I don't know if it was single-braided; is it standard for 50ohm coax to be double-braided?

Wavelength at 100MHz is 3 meters or just under 10'. 1/4 wavelength is about 30". How long were the jumpers interconnecting the splitter/combiners, and were they single braid coax? Congratulations; you have an FM band antenna.

Jesse Stern

• www.jsaudio.xyz
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 05:13:27 PM »

And even if the cables could pick up the FM frequency as a 1/4-wave antenna, how does the signal actually come through the ears since the pack receiver is tuned to a UHF frequency?

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2022, 12:30:52 PM »

Each jumper to the split was about 12" long, then the run to the antenna was 25'.  I was using a Shure UA860SWB omni wideband antenna to transmit.  I don't know if it was single-braided; is it standard for 50ohm coax to be double-braided?
50 ohm coax is far too generic a term to describe the construction of a particular spec coax. Both double and single shielded designs are prevalent. RG58 by definition is single 95% braided shield.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2022, 12:35:35 PM »

And even if the cables could pick up the FM frequency as a 1/4-wave antenna, how does the signal actually come through the ears since the pack receiver is tuned to a UHF frequency?
The FM broadcast carrier is picked up by the earphone cable where the induced current is fed back into the final PA of the earphone amp, demodulated by the amplifier circuit, and then amplified out to the ear piece. Was likely a rather strong FM signal at your location.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2022, 12:35:35 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.