ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Work Bench  (Read 180 times)

Kevin Maxwell

Wireless Work Bench
« on: May 26, 2022, 11:27:39 AM »

Wireless Work Bench

I am fairly proficient with Wireless Work Bench (WWB).  The other day I was trying to help a sound company to figure out what frequency range of Shure wireless their client would need to buy to increase their inventory from 20 to 26. One of the things that we discovered was that the 20 that they had weren’t compatible with each other even if we didn’t account for any outside RF and we set WWB for More Frequencies. This is for a marching band that I am told has the receivers and the Sound system follow them in a vehicle of some sort. I think this is for parades. The concept of a marching band needing a sound system seems ridiculous to me. But I wasn’t asked to judge their request.

We did a bunch of trial and error scenarios to see what we could come up with. And this actually brought up a question in my mind. Is anyone here familiar enough with WWB to know if you can put in the parameters for this zip code (yes this is in the USA) and the model of wireless systems you are looking at and how many channels that you want and have WWB tell you what frequency bands and how many of each you need to make this all work together.

My conclusion was they may need to start from scratch and just get all digital so they will play nice together without the analog interfering with the digital.

I just tried to see how many channels I could get with set to standard at this location with ULXD and without any of their present wireless (IOW starting from scratch) WWB gave me a coordination with no conflicts of 58 channels of ULXD. I was wondering what the limit would be, not that I need that many channels.

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
Re: Wireless Work Bench
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 12:04:28 PM »

A large part of my job is helping users be successful with their wireless gear and I frequently run into the same issue.  They may have purchased  whatever blocks in the past that used to work well together but now it doesn’t … especially when it comes to running mics and ears together.  Especially if their available frequencies are interlaced.

I always have to laugh (quietly) when a professional tells me “But I’ve been doing it like this for 20 years”.  Well 20 years ago you could have stuck a coat hanger in the back of your receiver and made it work.  But now is now and for some folks the only answer is to buy new gear.  Hopefully someone is helping them make good choices.

https://www.rfvenue.com/blog/configuring-mics-ears-together-part-2
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 04:14:15 PM »

I usually just put in an outlandish number of channels in each band and then see how many WWB can actually use.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 05:13:26 PM »

{...} One of the things that we discovered was that the 20 that they had weren’t compatible with each other even if we didn’t account for any outside RF and we set WWB for More Frequencies. {...}

What system(s) do they currently have?

One thing I've found is that, for some of the cheaper Shure wireless (SLX and BLX for sure), WWB tries to calculate for 3T3O protection even in "More Frequencies" mode. This does two things:
  • It drastically reduces the number of channels you can fit into a given chunk of spectrum
  • It means WWB with throw coordination analysis errors for some of Shure's own factory group/channel presets (e.g. four SLX H5 systems programmed to Group 3 Channels 1 through 4 will not pass a coordination analysis, even in "More Frequencies" mode)

3T3O protection is nice, of course, but it's probably not going to be practical given the channel counts you're discussing, so it might be worth considering disabling it and seeing if you can get your channel count where it needs to be.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 05:13:26 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.