ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: EQing vocals from Main EQ or Channel EQ?  (Read 2484 times)

Greg Bart

EQing vocals from Main EQ or Channel EQ?
« on: May 19, 2022, 04:20:06 PM »

A friend of mine swears that ALL pro live touring engineers EQ their vocals from the main EQ and not the channel EQ. I told him that is not the case. What's your thoughts on this? Thanks.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 04:31:23 PM »

A friend of mine swears that ALL pro live touring engineers EQ their vocals from the main EQ and not the channel EQ. I told him that is not the case. What's your thoughts on this? Thanks.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: EQing vocals from Main EQ or Channel EQ?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 05:58:29 PM »

Your friend needs to put down the crack pipe.  He (she?) certainly has never done a real show.  Ever.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 06:07:38 PM »

Maybe way back in the Dark Ages when channel EQ was rudimentary but the house had a 1/3-octave graphic. I won't say I've never done it.

But not in the last decade, probably much longer.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 06:25:30 PM »

Nice to have a hobby. Maybe someday he'll (she'll) get out to a real show.......
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Greg Bart

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 06:34:50 PM »

Your friend needs to put down the crack pipe.  He (she?) certainly has never done a real show.  Ever.
I tried to explain to him how idiotic that sounds and he always replies with "Well, that's how the big boys do it". I know that he needs help. Just wanted to share this with the forum so I can show him how idiotic he sounds.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 08:04:20 PM »

I tried to explain to him how idiotic that sounds and he always replies with "Well, that's how the big boys do it". I know that he needs help. Just wanted to share this with the forum so I can show him how idiotic he sounds.

He needs to move to lighting, might find redemption there. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 08:54:16 PM »

Ask him which main eq? Even on a relatively simple system I'll have a stereo parametric on the main fader, but I feed the PA off the matrix outs (always) and I'll have another stereo perametric there. I'll also have a graphic eq inserted on the main fader just for quick and dirty adjustments after the show starts.

Sometimes I will adjust that graphic eq to suit my vocal mics IF I have several mics that all have some problem frequency popping up. Easier to just cut that once and call it a day.

So which main EQ? On a big-boy rig there will be dozens of EQ's for all different parts of the rig.

Home Schoolin is showing his ignorance here.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Thomas Le

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 09:24:28 PM »

Maybe he was referring to a buss insert EQ?

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 10:41:26 PM »

He needs to move to lighting, might find redemption there.

ROFL!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 10:41:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.