ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Micing a hi hat  (Read 1586 times)

John M. Roll

Micing a hi hat
« on: May 16, 2022, 02:42:44 PM »

Other than a dedicated stand, can I get some examples (hopefully pics) of how you mic a hi hat. Is there a "proper" way to do it?

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Micing a hi hat
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 02:59:20 PM »

I prefer the mic du jour on a short stand. Mic pointing at the edge of the top cymbal or perhaps toward the center, depending on what I'm going for. I usually try and place it in such a way that the hi-hat is between the mic and the snare, helping keep the bleed down.

As far as stand-less solutions, I've used Beta 98s with their gooseneck mount. This works pretty great.

I've also those used cheap-o plastic clamps with the 3/8" mic thread like the "Mic Eze M-1." Those cheap clamps okay but unless you mount it to an adjacent cymbal stand, you're pretty much stuck mixing the underside of the hats which I just haven't had great results with.

EDIT: And of course, gotta mention the infamous LP Claw. Great for all sorts of creative, stand-less mic placement techniques.

Mal Brown

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 03:02:15 PM »

This is somewhat genre dependent.  For a natural sounding hat I like a socked 57.  on about a 45 degree angle away from the bell.  Opposite side from the snare.  Just above the maximum extension of the upper cymbal.  Maybe 1.5 to 2"   This get's a little more spearation from the snare and is not 'overstated'.  At least not to my ear. 

This is a very subjective thing...

oh wait...  not a dedicated stand... My bad.  I always use a dedicated stand for the hat.   Clip on Senn's for the rack and floor toms.  Hoop and drummer dependent, clip on or stand for the snare...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 03:04:24 PM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 03:56:08 PM »

Other than a dedicated stand, can I get some examples (hopefully pics) of how you mic a hi hat. Is there a "proper" way to do it?

Not a fan of mic'ing the bottom of the hat, so clamp-on stands are challenging. It'd take a LONG gooseneck to reach the desired location ( see Mal's post) and clamping onto the hi hat stand itself can introduce a lot of noise. If there's another stand in the vicinity I suppose a simple clamp-on mount could work. As you may have guessed, I always use a dedicated stand.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 05:19:32 PM »

Put a DPA 2011c above on a K&M 259 and you can't go wrong.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 08:46:32 PM »

Finding a clamp point for a hat mic will clearly depend on what’s around. Personally, I’ve rarely run into a scenario where that even exists, so it’s not even on my radar to try it. I always carry a hat stand.  Now, if this is a rig you work with regularly, maybe something can be rigged up that works.
Brian Jojade

Landon Lewsaw

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 09:36:44 PM »

I put a SDC right on a straight stand with a small round base.  Dedicated stand but minimal footprint. 

Thomas Le

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 10:25:06 PM »

If you got money, triad orbit?

https://www.triad-orbit.com/project/audio/

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 01:13:24 PM »

I know you don’t want a stand but that’s a tough one.  I have found a setup like this to be handy in lots of places: 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

John L Nobile

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 11:11:09 AM »

I've used a drum clamp with a gooseneck on a hardware stand. Also works for snare and tom mics. The drummer suggested it. The stands bothered him. Wound up using just 2 o/head stands for the whole kit. You just have to check with the drummer to see if he's OK with you putting the clamp on his stands.

Something like this:

https://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/multi-clamp/multi-clamps

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 11:11:09 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.