ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Original Radian Microwedge replacement drivers question  (Read 1822 times)

Gary Green

Original Radian Microwedge replacement drivers question
« on: May 15, 2022, 10:08:56 PM »

Sitting on a pile of Radian MW12, I am trying to balance repairing with replacement. Have 16 with 3 wounded. Would hate to throw in the dumpster.
Replacements being the move to starting over with a new line of wedges. If so, what $2k - $2500 powered wedge?
Thx in advance .

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Re: Original Radian Microwedge replacement drivers question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 11:35:49 PM »

Sitting on a pile of Radian MW12, I am trying to balance repairing with replacement. Have 16 with 3 wounded. Would hate to throw in the dumpster.
Replacements being the move to starting over with a new line of wedges. If so, what $2k - $2500 powered wedge?
Thx in advance .
You mean there's actually people that do that?
-a few blown drivers and just dumpster the whole lot?

The manufacturer of those wedges still exists to this day and still has good support for fairly "ancient" gear

I know this forum encourages just buying new over all other possibilities, but there's tons of us regional providers that never see a rider requirement ever and would be really happy with a matching set of any vintage of Microwedges!  (DIY repairs or not)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 08:09:06 AM »

Thx in advance .

Fix the three, then find someone who can roll some FIR filters for them. You’ll need either new amps or new crossovers but if you did that, 16x FIR enabled MicroWedges is nothing to sneeze at. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 03:38:10 PM »

...there's tons of us regional providers that never see a rider requirement ever and would be really happy with a matching set of any vintage of Microwedges!  (DIY repairs or not)

I second that motion!

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 03:44:12 PM »

Fix the three, then find someone who can roll some FIR filters for them. You’ll need either new amps or new crossovers but if you did that, 16x FIR enabled MicroWedges is nothing to sneeze at.

Here's your answer. The Microwedge was picked up and sold by EAW. You know it's a solid product when one of the industry giants says "put our name on it and ship it".

Use the money you would spend on new gear and buy the amps or DSP it takes to make these shine.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 03:51:44 PM »

I cannot imagine any reason to not call/email Radian, source the necessary parts and fix the broken units. A fleet of 16 matching, pro-quality wedges is a great thing to have.

Even if you don't have the amps, you could fix the three speakers and build out two 8-channel racks of decent dsp-equipped amps for substantially less than the $2k/mix budget you've got. I'm talking about running the wedges passively, but you'll still get good results and a lot of bang for the buck. You could probably even build out a bi-amped package and still be in the ballpark of your given budget range.

We've got 6x Radian Apex 1200s in inventory and they've served us well for many years. I'm only just now about to replace them, primarily because we need more mixes in that package and those boxes are getting harder to find.

Lev Raber

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 05:35:51 PM »

Thx in advance .
Radian MW12 is an excellent monitor, especially if ran bi-amp with one of the best coax drivers on the market. I don't know how many mon mixes you're looking for, but to have them and go powered??? I wouldn't. Just fix them (not hard at all), put together some amp racks and enjoy the ride.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 08:01:16 PM »

Let me know where that dumpster is!

John Schalk

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 09:48:30 AM »

I thought Radian was gone, but it looks like they've just stopped building complete speaker systems.  Their website has new drivers and they also sell recone kits that are reasonably priced.  As a next step you could see if they sell a recone kit for the driver in your trashed MW12s.

https://radianaudio.com/collections/recone-kits

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 11:14:00 AM »

I thought Radian was gone, but it looks like they've just stopped building complete speaker systems.  Their website has new drivers and they also sell recone kits that are reasonably priced.  As a next step you could see if they sell a recone kit for the driver in your trashed MW12s.

https://radianaudio.com/collections/recone-kits

I think once the MW12 went to EAW, they started phasing out the enclosures and focused on drivers.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 11:14:00 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.