ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC PLD 4.5 Standby  (Read 1878 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: QSC PLD 4.5 Standby
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 01:22:10 AM »

If both amps are failing at the same time, chances are, you're dealing with something impacting both amps.

Possible common causes are AC power, input signal, or USB signal.

AC power is probably the most likely.  While a full power outage will cause the amp to reset and it SHOULD come back on in the same state that it was in, partial shutdowns, or sudden voltage swings could cause the CPU to get confused and do weird things.

An input signal that has an issue, such as DC bias on the signal might cause a problem, although I've never seen that with this amp.

If you have the devices connected with USB, you could be remotely triggering a shutdown.  If you don't have them connected to a computer, go ahead and do that. Then you have detailed monitoring that could help determine what the problem is.

The power conditioner you are using is only a fancy surge suppressor. It will clamp down voltage if it goes above 140v. It doesn't 'condition' in any way other than that.  It's only rated for 15 amps, so if you pushed the 4.5's hard, you'll be well above that.  Still, you'd simply trip the breaker. The conditioner itself shouldn't be a cause to this problem, unless for some reason the circuitry inside is creating some weird harmonics messing with the amp. (very unlikely)

If heat were the issue causing this, it seems extremely unlikely that both would fail at the exact same time.
Brian Jojade

Amin Tobin

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 07:50:21 PM »

First off, thank you all for taking the time to reply.

The power was coming from the grid at the festival/venue but there were others on the same source so we were impacted by them, I'm sure.

I don't know much about the Furman but we did have an artist crank the output by mistake and tripped the Furman fuse. For that reason alone, I'm keeping it in the chain. Although another solution may be to remove it out of the chain and just set the limiters on the amps to something a little more conservative.

The amps weren't returning back to their original state after cutting the signal. They definitely always turned back on in standby mode. To be fair, I don't even know if they really turned off or just went into standby mode.

Thanks for the tip, Brian Jojade, about keeping a computer connected. I'll do that from now on and keep things monitored. I would be awesome if the amp itself kept some type of log that I could download after though. What screens do you think would be helpful to monitor?

I did consider that heat could be an issue since the rack was in direct sun at some points in the day but I came to the same conclusion that they both wouldn't turn off exactly at the same time.

It was the first time I was able to run the system as loud as we did so that why there were so many new variables but I'm feeling like the theme here is the AC power at the venue. I had a feeling but I appreciate the support!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 07:50:21 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.