ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC PLD 4.5 Standby  (Read 1874 times)

Amin Tobin

QSC PLD 4.5 Standby
« on: May 13, 2022, 10:31:09 PM »

I was working a 4 day music festival this past week running...

2x - EAW AS690i Dual 12" Main Full Range Speakers
4x - Martin W8CS 15" Subs
2x - QSC PLD 4.5
1x - DBX DriveRack PA2
1x - Furman PL PLus II Power Conditioner

3-4 times each day, with no obvious rhyme or reason, the QSC amps would set themselves to standby mode. The amps themselves were running extremely modestly. No peaks whatsoever. Pushing the power button would remove them from standby mode and get things going again. They'd go for 3-4 hours and do it again. I don't understand what could be triggering this. Anyone have any experience?

On a side-note, the sound with this setup with absolutely stunning. I just wish I could walk away from it without having to worry about the standby triggering. 

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: QSC PLD 4.5 Standby
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 12:03:28 AM »

Could be a power quality issue.  Is it on utility or generator?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 12:12:05 AM »

The PLD amps don't have the best reliability record. Even ones that sit in a clean install tend to fail pretty early, failing to boot. YMMV, but most of us have moved on. QSC is still a great manufacturer, but everybody lays a turd every now and then.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 12:53:08 AM »

I'll give ya the two turds in a punch bowl.  But, failing in a synchronized manner is unusual.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 08:09:56 AM »

We use 4 x of the PLD 4.2 (mostly for monitors).  Have never experienced any issues. 

Sounds like an issue with power (as referenced before).  What is the firmware level of the amps?

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 08:25:39 AM »

I never use a power conditioner on Power amps. I would remove the amps from that and see if you still have problems. 

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 10:58:51 AM »

I never use a power conditioner on Power amps. I would remove the amps from that and see if you still have problems.

I don't see that being the issue. It's pretty much just a rack mount power strip with a voltage meter.

I like where Steve White was going with this. Where is your power coming from? Did you happen to check it under load with a proper meter?

Electronics dropping in to stand-by on their own does seem like a potential side effect of voltage dropping below a certain threshold.

Were the two amps doing this at the same time?

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 12:33:06 PM »

I was working a 4 day music festival this past week running...

2x - EAW AS690i Dual 12" Main Full Range Speakers
4x - Martin W8CS 15" Subs
2x - QSC PLD 4.5
1x - DBX DriveRack PA2
1x - Furman PL PLus II Power Conditioner

3-4 times each day, with no obvious rhyme or reason, the QSC amps would set themselves to standby mode. The amps themselves were running extremely modestly. No peaks whatsoever. Pushing the power button would remove them from standby mode and get things going again. They'd go for 3-4 hours and do it again. I don't understand what could be triggering this. Anyone have any experience?

On a side-note, the sound with this setup with absolutely stunning. I just wish I could walk away from it without having to worry about the standby triggering.

"Power conditioners" in that price class are useless in that sense.  They are however useful as plug strips in a rack.  As has been noted, they are not to be used for high current draw items like power amps.  If you have a single AC feed to the Furman and both amps are connected to it, without further analysis that's a 95% probability of the issue.  Depending upon power source, length of run for the AC feed and gauge of wire, and condition of all connections.

What say ye for the electrical feeds and power source?

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 12:42:13 PM »

If you have a single AC feed to the Furman and both amps are connected to it, without further analysis that's a 95% probability of the issue.  Depending upon power source, length of run for the AC feed and gauge of wire, and condition of all connections.

But I don't think the Furman in and of itself caused the issue. If the current draw was too high for it, the Furman's circuit breaker would've tripped.

I do agree that the power source upstream or the "feeder" cabling being used could be the culprit.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 12:53:33 PM »

But I don't think the Furman in and of itself caused the issue. If the current draw was too high for it, the Furman's circuit breaker would've tripped.

I do agree that the power source upstream or the "feeder" cabling being used could be the culprit.

I don't write well.  Not suggesting it was the Furman itself.  A single power feed to the Furman is what I suspect.  The Furman itself "could" be an issue if something inside were defective, and that would be about 1% probability.  The gaps in my comments cause Firestorms at times.  Not my intent brother.

I am thinking the issue to be a single feed AC line to the amp rack - or, power quality at the source.

There's a problem, both amps are exhibiting the same symptoms.  99.375% probably it's not the amps, but a common denominator being power.  Another problem could be HEAT.  Are they in an un-ventilated rack sitting in the sun?  90 degree plus day?

For a setup like that, I would be using 2x 12 Ga feeds for AC up to 50', then 10 Ga.  Those are pretty big amps.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 09:20:04 AM by Steve-White »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 12:53:33 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.