ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gain staging output from Sennheiser G4  (Read 139 times)

Nick Warren

Gain staging output from Sennheiser G4
« on: May 13, 2022, 12:38:30 AM »

Hi all,

Up until now I have been running my Sennheiser G4 ew100 wireless into a Microphone input on the front of my RME UfX interface and using the channel gain to boost the wireless mic signal in RME totalmix software. I normally have to give it about 25db of gain the bring it to a good level.

I was wondering if I should instead run the sennheiser g4 output into a 1/4 inch TRS analogue input on the back of UFX (using xlr to trs cable) and then boost the G4 output using the 'af level' in the G4 menu?

If so, am I right in thinking that the analogue TRS input channel in totalmix should be set to +4?

The wireless mic is a DPA 4066 headset and I have the G4 transmitter sensitivity set to -27 so its at a good level.

Thanks for your help!

Nick

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Gain staging output from Sennheiser G4
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 10:10:15 AM »

Try both ways.  What you may find is that the gain stage on one piece of gear is noisier and as such one input may sound better than the other.  In a perfect world though, either way would be acceptable.
Brian Jojade

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 02:08:15 PM »

Up until now I have been running my Sennheiser G4 ew100 wireless into a Microphone input on the front of my RME UfX interface and using the channel gain to boost the wireless mic signal in RME totalmix software. I normally have to give it about 25db of gain the bring it to a good level.

I was wondering if I should instead run the sennheiser g4 output into a 1/4 inch TRS analogue input on the back of UFX (using xlr to trs cable) and then boost the G4 output using the 'af level' in the G4 menu?
{...}

Every FM Sennheiser RX I've ever worked with (from EW G2 through 3000-series) has a "mic-level" output on the XLR, so adding 25 dB of gain (or more) at the headamp isn't a huge surprise. Setting the "AF level" to +18 will obviously reduce the amount of headamp gain you'll need, but it won't produce an actual "line level" output (like many Shure RXs have), so either way you'll want to run the XLR output into a mic preamp of some kind.

As for where to apply the gain, I agree with Brian's suggestion. I've run these RXs both ways (i.e. "AF level" at "0" and at "+18") and have never felt that one was any much better than the other (particularly with the EW microphones, which are a bit on the noisy side to begin with). The only exception to this is the rack of 3532s owned by the regional theatre I work for: they're always used at +18 because a previous owner bypassed the AF output level trim pots! :D

-Russ

Nick Warren

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 06:40:50 AM »

Try both ways.  What you may find is that the gain stage on one piece of gear is noisier and as such one input may sound better than the other.  In a perfect world though, either way would be acceptable.

Thanks, I gave it a go skipping the mic pre today but had to set the analogue input to the -10 setting to get a decent level. Didnt notice any difference so will go back to running it into the mic pre.

Nick Warren

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 06:45:20 AM »

Thanks, I gave it a go skipping the mic pre today but had to set the analogue input to the -10 setting to get a decent level. Didnt notice any difference so will go back to running it into the mic pre.

Thanks for the info, tried using the line inputs today and didn't really notice any difference today so will go back to running it into the mic pre.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 06:45:20 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.