ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 with MIDAS DL32  (Read 4171 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: X32 with MIDAS DL32
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2022, 01:51:13 PM »

{...} First, CAT6 and CAT6a are apparently very different beasts, and a true CAT6 system has a cable length limit of something stupid like 40m or worse. So 6a is the way to go. {...}

The primary difference between Cat6 and Cat6a is that the latter has defined performance characteristics up to 500 MHz instead of only 250 MHz (for reference, Cat5 and Cat5e were only defined up to 100 MHz) and Cat6a also has more stringent specs than Cat6 with regard to crosstalk from adjacent cables ("alien crosstalk"). The shorter distance you're thinking of (55m) refers specifically to Cat6's use in 10GBASE-T Ethernet applications; for the more common 1000BASE-T Cat6 will happily do 100m (just like both Cat5 and Cat5e).

-Russ

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2022, 02:48:34 PM »

Lovely to read but we're not talking about TCP/IP data packets which is why I asked the question I did: if CAT6/6E better delivers AES50 serial audio than CAT5e and what parameter of the AES50 spec does this involve.

It was a trick question, mostly answered by Prof Mortensen.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 05:35:08 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2022, 03:11:13 PM »

...if CAT6/6E better delivers AES50 serial audio than CAT5e and what parameter of the AES50 spec does this involve...

I didn't register this question in the original words, so to answer it, I think the answer is "No", based on my messing around with purported CAT7 cable.

But, just as I don't think higher CATegory cable works better except for handling issues, I don't think it works worse after using it for nearly 10 years in a variety of situations.

I agree that AES50 isn't Ethernet, and that I don't know all there is to know about this subject although I've tried vigorously to find out and retain as much as I can understand.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2022, 05:46:42 PM »

I agree that AES50 isn't Ethernet, and that I don't know all there is to know about this subject although I've tried vigorously to find out and retain as much as I can understand.

That's the big difference.  While lots and lots of people use Cat 5/6 for Ethernet installs and can tell you what the exact differences are, far fewer AES50 implementations that happen to use the same physical layer are out in the wild.  One could assume that they follow the same sets of rules, but we know what happens when we assume...

I do find it interesting that Behringer does clearly have it posted that they don't 'officially' support Cat 6 cable.  No explanation from them as to why.  It seems odd that they would post the way that they did if there weren't some scenario where cat 6 cable isn't going to work better than cat 5.  Unfortunately, they aren't telling us, so we're left guessing.
Brian Jojade

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2022, 07:24:15 PM »

I do find it interesting that Behringer does clearly have it posted that they don't 'officially' support Cat 6 cable.  No explanation from them as to why.  It seems odd that they would post the way that they did if there weren't some scenario where cat 6 cable isn't going to work better than cat 5.  Unfortunately, they aren't telling us, so we're left guessing.

I don't know the technology, but from a business view, invert the question: What is Behringer's upside for certifying a different type of cable?  Unless they sell proprietary cables at a profit, or gain sales of additional units, or reduce expenses in some way -- why bother to spend the money and resources to test other types, and also revise their customer support scripts?  Product manager with budget targets won't sign off that expenditure.
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2022, 03:33:30 PM »

I don't know the technology, but from a business view, invert the question: What is Behringer's upside for certifying a different type of cable?  Unless they sell proprietary cables at a profit, or gain sales of additional units, or reduce expenses in some way -- why bother to spend the money and resources to test other types, and also revise their customer support scripts?  Product manager with budget targets won't sign off that expenditure.

Well, that's a good point. They do sell CAT5e, which is decent cable and works well, and no other that I'm aware of.

Another speculative explanation is that it is a company that is always in turmoil, it seems, with drastic swings from one model and location to another that lead to big hirings and big firings, so the people who are hanging on are people who are willing to put up with that BS and do as they're told. That could lead to getting one answer at one point and just giving out that answer again and again over time without really knowing what's going on with the question.

That kind of reinforces your point, too...

I think I'm going to be through with this subject no matter how many times it comes up. People will do what they want.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2022, 01:02:05 AM »

Well, that's a good point. They do sell CAT5e, which is decent cable and works well, and no other that I'm aware of.

Another speculative explanation is that it is a company that is always in turmoil, it seems, with drastic swings from one model and location to another that lead to big hirings and big firings, so the people who are hanging on are people who are willing to put up with that BS and do as they're told. That could lead to getting one answer at one point and just giving out that answer again and again over time without really knowing what's going on with the question.

That kind of reinforces your point, too...

I think I'm going to be through with this subject no matter how many times it comes up. People will do what they want.
One little tidbit that popped into my head while reading all this is that as an installer I've pulled and terminated a wide gamut of different cable that's all labelled "Cat5e". There are some major differences between all the different available bulk Cat5e and likewise there's similar differences between all the available bulk cat6.  So much so that there's some Cat5e that is hard to tell from some Cat6 (it's fooled me sometimes when behind racks terminating patch panels)
So when considering all that, does Behringer have a recommended brand and model number?  Because I'm having a hard time finding Midas/Behringer branded cables online -meaning I will have to buy cable from others and when Cat5e can vary in type as much as it does, how can they just toss a vague requirement of just "Cat5e"?
Where's their list of "certified" SKU's

I realized today that the patch cords connecting my stage boxes together in my stage rack were just 30" Cat6s.
So I went online to buy some premium pre-made "proper" Cat5e 2-foot patch cords with real Ethercon ends  -so I could at least say I'm following their recommendation.
-and was wondering if this whole thing is transitioning into that dreaded "audiophile" type esoteric cable category when I'm finding things like this:

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/571141-whirlwind-enc6ase002-2-shielded-tactical-cat6a-ethercon-cable

Really?  $100 for a 2' patch cable?

Yes there were cheaper ones, but still nothing below $40 -which I still find pricey for a simple patch cord but understanding that the Neutrik connectors cost more and someone actually has to make it
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

John L Nobile

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2022, 11:45:34 AM »

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/571141-whirlwind-enc6ase002-2-shielded-tactical-cat6a-ethercon-cable

Really?  $100 for a 2' patch cable?

Yes there were cheaper ones, but still nothing below $40 -which I still find pricey for a simple patch cord but understanding that the Neutrik connectors cost more and someone actually has to make it

Do you really need an ethercon connector on a 2' patch cable? I may be wrong here but I assume the connector is more for durability. Those RJ45 ends are beyond flimsy. As long as you're using STP and shielded connectors, would there be any issues?

Lou Kohley

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2022, 12:52:53 PM »

The short patch cables do not need to have ethercon. There are rj45 connectors with metal sides that make contact with the shield. I've been using short patch cables in racks like this for years with no hiccups.

LOU

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2022, 01:38:14 PM »

The short patch cables do not need to have ethercon. There are rj45 connectors with metal sides that make contact with the shield. I've been using short patch cables in racks like this for years with no hiccups.

LOU

In this video the metal ends didn't seem to be enough to stop the ESD. (There are several videos in this series) I can't imagine the ethercon connectors adding that much to the price of a cable. If it's a new purchase, then might as well just go with ethercon ends too and be done with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJJBhSvagn0&t=1s

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2022, 01:38:14 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.