ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX900 line  (Read 5154 times)

Douglas R. Allen

JBL SRX900 line
« on: May 10, 2022, 03:52:30 PM »

Not sure how long these have been out. They are showing as a new line on Facebook but I thought these were out for awhile?

https://jblpro.com/product_families/srx900-series

Douglas R. Allen

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: JBL SRX900 line
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 04:22:12 PM »

Announced today.  Will be interesting to see where these stack up with the other plastic line source boxes, and/or if this is the demise of the VRX. (I would not shed a tear)

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 09:17:09 PM »

After glancing at the spec/details, I am not at all thrilled.  Usually JBL over inflates their numbers.

The SRX928SP has 500+ watts and 1db less of output than the SRX828SP.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 01:14:19 AM »

With all the hand-wringing over the subs, consider the difference between the VerTec 4880 and 4880A.  On paper the biggest difference is weight, almost 100 lbs more for the A version, a few Hz, and a dB or 2.  In performance the differences were visceral.  You FELT it differently (and more of it). 

I suggest this will be similar.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 08:14:10 AM »

Cabinet material and price. ABS tends to be more forgiving than PPE/PE, across impacts and temp extremes. ABS polishes & repairs better than other plastics. Maybe just me, but I'd love to see some internal damping spray or applique.

Class D or not, I'm never as confident with amps in sky & sun vs. under stage. Under hot sun what could be the internal temps if the whole rig being run hard? Neo mags aren't fans of high temp. Show all work JBL.

Pricing? JBL positions themselves with D&B and L'Acoustics, without the general acceptance and service support. This is the big TBD...

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 12:11:28 PM »

Cabinet material and price. ABS tends to be more forgiving than PPE/PE, across impacts and temp extremes. ABS polishes & repairs better than other plastics. Maybe just me, but I'd love to see some internal damping spray or applique.

Class D or not, I'm never as confident with amps in sky & sun vs. under stage. Under hot sun what could be the internal temps if the whole rig being run hard? Neo mags aren't fans of high temp. Show all work JBL.

Pricing? JBL positions themselves with D&B and L'Acoustics, without the general acceptance and service support. This is the big TBD...

Sweetwater has some pricing on their website:
SRX 906 $2199
SRX 918s $2299
SRX 928s $4099

Also a post in here.
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,177151.0.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 12:16:05 PM by Steve Ferreira »

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 12:08:25 PM »

With all the hand-wringing over the subs, consider the difference between the VerTec 4880 and 4880A.  On paper the biggest difference is weight, almost 100 lbs more for the A version, a few Hz, and a dB or 2.  In performance the differences were visceral.  You FELT it differently (and more of it). 

I suggest this will be similar.

Yup, reading spec sheets is often a giant waste of time.  2 cabinets may show to be nearly identical on paper, but in the real world, the performance is hardly the same. 
Brian Jojade

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 02:18:07 PM »

After glancing at the spec/details, I am not at all thrilled.  Usually JBL over inflates their numbers.

The SRX928SP has 500+ watts and 1db less of output than the SRX828SP.

Spec sheets also show a 12dB crest factor being utilized for peak calculation rather than 6dB. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Keith Erickson

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 08:05:17 PM »

Spec sheets also show a 12dB crest factor being utilized for peak calculation rather than 6dB. 

Lee

SRX900 Max SPL numbers are not calculated, they are measured using 12db crest pink noise and using the array preset for the Line Array boxes and the 80Hz preset for the subwoofers.  Full-space for the array boxes and half space for the sub.

The SRX800 SPL numbers were calculated and the SRX828SP SPL number was calculated based on the Half-space sensitivity and peak power handling of the passive SRX828S. Given the peak power available in the SRX828SP of 2000w (33dB Gain) it has a theoretical Max SPL of 137dB while the SRX928S sub has a measured max SPL of 140dB.

Also the amp power is measured differently in the SRX900 as compared to the SRX800.  The SRX800 stuff is 2000w Peak.  For example the SRX828SP amp is 2x 750w cont. / 2x1000w peak.

The SRX928s amp is 1100w for greater than 1000ms and a burst power of 2500w for 20ms.  This burst rating is not the absolute peak output of the amp but rather a shorter duration power number.  This is the same type of spec that many 'elite" level power amp brands publish as the continuous power output of their amps.  The true peak power of the amp in the SRX928s is more than 2500w.

Lastly..if you compare the actual frequency response curves of the 928S and 828SP, you will see they are basically the same and the 828SP doesn't really go lower if you are looking at the curves and the same preset info.  The port on the SRX928s sub is a much better design and will produce more output down low when pushed hard as compared to the SRX828SP.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 04:55:12 PM »

SRX900 Max SPL numbers are not calculated, they are measured using 12db crest pink noise and using the array preset for the Line Array boxes and the 80Hz preset for the subwoofers.  Full-space for the array boxes and half space for the sub.

Thank you for the more detailed info.

My point was they are now using a 12dB crest factor rather than a 6dB crest factor that many other manufacturers use and that JBL has used on many (most?) models in the past. 
The salespeople like to point out peak capabilities and don't usually take into account such differences.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 04:55:12 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.