ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DSR 112 replacement woofer?  (Read 946 times)

Kevin Bayersdorfer

Re: Yamaha DSR 112 replacement woofer?
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2022, 11:56:07 AM »

Kevin.  Maybe this should be a whole new topic, but I would like to hear your experience with these.  I have sold several sets of these and customers liked them a lot.  I also like how smooth they sound through the mid range, especially with female vocals.  I considered installing an array of 3 or 4 per side in a venue and called PreSonus for advise on how many would be needed for the venue.  I was very surprised when they told me this was not the system for this venue and suggested the Worx line instead.  I was told they don't throw very well past 65 feet.  This was interesting to me because other fixed angle vertical systems I have used (JBL VRX, QSC KLA) seem to have a similar limitation.  Is it the nature of the beast?  I would love to hear you opinion.
I'll let you know, I will be using two only next Saturday, then I will be using the 4 in the end of June. I wasn't expecting them to throw too far, the 3 main festivals I do each year the audience area is much wider than it is long. All bring your own chair in a lawn type thing and they no one sits within the first 20-30 feet, so these should be perfect. I love their sound with program music in my basement, like you said very smooth and the vocals are up front. They get pretty dam loud too. Right now I have two on each side stacked on top of a single 15 sub crossed at 100 hz, In the field they will be deployed with 2 SRX818sp center clustered and the CDL's on poles.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2022, 01:30:10 PM »

Did not Dave Gunness work on some of the PreSonus line at some point?  If so I would expect those loudspeakers to sound really good.
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Mal Brown

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2022, 01:56:19 PM »

I've had great luck with QSC K10, K12, KW-153 and KW-181.  Many years.  10? 12?  It's been ages.  Never a failure.   I have 4 DSr-112.  Primarily I used them as monitors.  Now a pair do some duty as a light main.  I had one thermal off at a show and it made some 'static-y' noise before it did.  Came back to life after cooling down and so far that hasn't happened again.  That one was doing wedge duty on a concrete pad in full sun, in August.  Interesting that all 4 were in the front line and only the one thermaled off.

In my experience the powered stuff has been great.  It is well treated.  They all travel in padded bags and are placed... not tossed.  Strapped in for transport.

Then there was my foray into Mackie.  As ma said, it you have nothing nice to say...
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2022, 07:12:54 PM »

My personal experience was that my passive rig I replaced a woofer in a sub, a tweeter in a top, and a stand alone amplifier in a window of around 7 years all out of warranty.  My powered rig I replaced 1 woofer under warranty (6 years into Yamaha's 7 year warranty).  In this light, my powered rig has been much more robust than my passive rig (just one man's experience though).

A DSR112 woofer at near $500.00 might have me looking at replacements though.  I still really like the sound of my DSR's and would need to be at the DZR/SRX level or above to replace them, which would be a 2.5K ish expense vs the $500 "fix" ..... so it would be a tough sell to replace them.

I am not certain I agree that "any speaker with x,y,z is good".  I would stick with the Yamaha driver.  If you want cheap, just recone it, or have it re-conned, but stick with the OEM driver for a powered speaker IMO.

I know from experience Yamaha wants far too much money for a replacement woof.  $500 is crazy, recone has to be the way to go.  And since itís powered and presumably uses FIR, yes go OEM to be sure. 

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2022, 07:23:23 PM »

Did not Dave Gunness work on some of the PreSonus line at some point?  If so I would expect those loudspeakers to sound really good.
Dave worked on the StudioLive series speakers for presonus. They have been discontinued as I was told they werenít really geared towards PreSonusís typical user base.

The CDL stuff was done primarily by Hugh Sarvis (who founded WorxAudio) and I think Don Keele contributed as well.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2022, 08:29:44 PM »

$500 for a four ohm Eminence Neo 12 is crazy.
I would take a gamble with another speaker at half the cost, compare the specs and get one
that is close. Give it a listen, push it a little see what happens, even better use Smarrt to compare measurements between an original and the replacement.
Four ohm 12's do narrow down the choices.
Don't forget to also check overall frame size diameter and bolt hole circle diameter.

....or get the one you have re-coned with an original kit.

Doug Fowler

• Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2022, 02:40:44 AM »

Dave worked on the StudioLive series speakers for presonus. They have been discontinued as I was told they werenít really geared towards PreSonusís typical user base.

The CDL stuff was done primarily by Hugh Sarvis (who founded WorxAudio) and I think Don Keele contributed as well.

Hugh is a good dude.  Iím glad he was able to sell Worx. 

I guess if you have Don Keele on the team youíre in a good position.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2022, 08:26:29 AM »

....or get the one you have re-coned with an original kit.

Is there anybody left nationally that does recones? Las time I priced an EAW RCF recone, labor and shipping was as much as a new woofer.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Mal Brown

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2022, 01:34:46 PM »

I have had good luck with JAMAC in Portland.   He won't be stocking RCF or Yamaha recone kits though.  So that would have to be sourced and shipped and then there is x-country shipping ...

http://jamacspeakers.com/
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2022, 03:25:32 AM »

I have had good luck with JAMAC in Portland.   He won't be stocking RCF or Yamaha recone kits though.  So that would have to be sourced and shipped and then there is x-country shipping ...

http://jamacspeakers.com/

We should be able to do it also https://proshowsound.com/recones
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #29 on: May 15, 2022, 03:25:32 AM ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.