Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

tube amps odd maintenance..or?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Matthias McCready:

--- Quote from: raymondsoly on May 07, 2022, 05:26:24 PM --- Not sure where to post this but,

My neighbour, who is a guitarist (not jazz ) has just warned us to expect loud noise next week because he needs to "rinse" his tube amps to "open them up" a bit". I've never heard of that...Any credence to this ?

Ray

--- End quote ---

Sure he does... just like you need to "freshen-up" your line arrays; I imagine that if properly deployed a 1k tone could be quite effective at getting them back to working order

Chris Hindle:

--- Quote from: Matthias McCready on May 07, 2022, 10:25:35 PM ---Sure he does... just like you need to "freshen-up" your line arrays; I imagine that if properly deployed a 1k tone could be quite effective at getting them back to working order

--- End quote ---
I've always found that 4K really gets people's attention, on stage or off........ ;D
Chris.

Dave Pluke:

--- Quote from: raymondsoly on May 07, 2022, 05:26:24 PM ---My neighbour, who is a guitarist (not jazz ) has just warned us to expect loud noise next week because he needs to "rinse" his tube amps to "open them up" a bit". I've never heard of that...Any credence to this ?

--- End quote ---

Wow. Thought I'd heard all the 'cork sniffing' urban myths of vacuum tubes, but that's a new one.

Guess I'd better 'blow the carbon out' of all my ancient valve amps...  ::)

Dave

doug johnson2:
You could always counter with the fact that vintage tube amps were designed to be operated at 110 volts ac.  Since current wall voltage generally run at 120 plus volts, unless you are using a variac, you are always running your amp around 10 % above the original design parameters.  So, there is no reason to "open them up".

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: doug johnson2 on May 09, 2022, 02:29:45 PM ---You could always counter with the fact that vintage tube amps were designed to be operated at 110 volts ac.  Since current wall voltage generally run at 120 plus volts, unless you are using a variac, you are always running your amp around 10 % above the original design parameters.  So, there is no reason to "open them up".

--- End quote ---

So, the ten is now 11!!!!!!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version