ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rant - Guitar Center won't accept used wireless systems  (Read 1446 times)

Thomas Le

Rant - Guitar Center won't accept used wireless systems
« on: May 06, 2022, 11:11:58 PM »

Tried to sell off old but legal frequency stock of Shure SLX (H5, G4 & G5) and two digital 2.4 GHz systems today at Guitar Center / Banjo Mart today. Guess their higher up corporate office just outright banned accepting used wireless systems out of being burnt on receiving illegal frequency lots? I would think they would at least take the digital systems... On the other hand I was lucky to offload GEQ's.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Re: Rant - Guitar Center won't accept used wireless systems
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 04:05:51 PM »

Tried to sell off old but legal frequency stock of Shure SLX (H5, G4 & G5) and two digital 2.4 GHz systems today at Guitar Center / Banjo Mart today. Guess their higher up corporate office just outright banned accepting used wireless systems out of being burnt on receiving illegal frequency lots? I would think they would at least take the digital systems... On the other hand I was lucky to offload GEQ's.
Post on the marketplace here? -It might help out some fellow LABsters.
-But there's also Reverb & Ebay of course
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Scott Helmke

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 04:51:04 PM »

Nontrivial to test properly, and the spectre of complaints from people who don't know how to use wireless.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 06:10:51 PM »

corporate office just outright banned accepting used wireless systems out of being burnt on receiving illegal frequency lots?

It's not like the ban on certain freq bands was kept a secret ...... so GC staff were not informed/didn't know of the systems deemed illegal so bought them anyway and now GC policy is to not buy ANY wireless systems - legal or not? Wow...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 09:24:27 PM »

It's not like the ban on certain freq bands was kept a secret ...... so GC staff were not informed/didn't know of the systems deemed illegal so bought them anyway and now GC policy is to not buy ANY wireless systems - legal or not? Wow...
As long as yer getting screwed, their policy is like condoms. Once you've opened the package................
 ;D
CHris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 09:36:58 PM »

Help ain't what it used to be/never really was....

I'll explain.  Most of our forum participants are high performing, educated, observant folk.  The level of "stooopid" out there is sometimes hard to fathom.  And it's not simply "book stupid" most of the time, it's a lack of situational awareness and detail orientation.  Those people are not like us, Debbie.  The Banjo Depot salescritter may have heard about the 600 mHz reassignments, may have heard B.D. can't get some stuff from Shure, Sennheiser, A-T... but probably remembers it as supply chain/Covid related.  Not taking 600mHz trade-in product was not on the radar of at least 50% of Depot staff.  When half your crew will cause a loss on every such transaction, you have no alternative but stop those transactions.

I used to think that all humans, at birth, had roughly the potential, absent crushing socioeconomic oppression, disease or illness, i.e. external forces.

I was wrong.  Very wrong.

Metaphor alert-
It comes down to something called 'it.'  As in "get it?"  "Get it together"... some people don't get it, some people can't find it, some people wouldn't know it if they saw it, and others got it but lost it or forgot where they put it or had it taken from them.  Regardless, a lack of "it" destines those folks to very different lives than the kind you or I might lead.  And those are at least 50% of the population in the USA. /metaphor

So no, I'm not surprised at what Banjo Depot did. 
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 01:38:33 AM »

…And it's not simply "book stupid" most of the time, it's a lack of situational awareness and detail orientation…

…It comes down to something called 'it.'  As in "get it?"  "Get it together"... some people don't get it, some people can't find it, some people wouldn't know it if they saw it, and others got it but lost it or forgot where they put it or had it taken from them.  Regardless, a lack of "it" destines those folks to very different lives than the kind you or I might lead.  And those are at least 50% of the population in the USA…

Isn’t that the truth…  The pass/fail rate of new people working for me is basically 50%.  I’ve never once fired a new trainee for lack of technical proficiency - I can teach that.  It’s always for dangerously poor situational awareness, poor work ethic, sloppy task execution, and other life skills that just can’t be taught on the spot. 

Forget the different wireless frequency assignments - I’ve had to explain to people that you don’t “push” with a tagline, Walmart sunglasses don’t double as impact-rated eye protection, and to never be texting on your phone while standing in a blind spot of heavy machinery.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 12:15:48 PM »

It could also be related to the incidence of counterfeit knockoffs in circulation. Before I'd consider buying any used wireless, or any mics really, I want to know some history about the original purchase.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Jared Bartimus

• Normal, IL
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 04:17:55 PM »

They are probably also concerned about having to keep up to date on what frequencies are legal.  Also keeping a database of what manufacturer/letter/number combination is associated with what frequencies.

"Well it was legal when we bought it but we didn't realize it was going to be illegal in a week so we are stuck with useless inventory unless we want to ship a pallet load of wireless gear overseas."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 04:17:55 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.