ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chauvet ShowExpress & Enttec Controller Interface Modules  (Read 2867 times)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Chauvet ShowExpress & Enttec Controller Interface Modules
« on: May 06, 2022, 09:31:34 AM »

I used the search engine for ShowExpress & Enttec and it dumped a lot of threads and posts - sifting through them I didn't find what I was looking for.

Does the Enttec stuff work with Chauvet ShowExpress?  Already have some Chauvet Interface Controllers, the Enttec would be more cost effective if they work.

So, before ordering anything and beginning some testing I figured if the Chauvet ShowExpress is proprietary and only works with Chauvet Interface Controllers there's no use in ordering any Enttec gear.

For the DJ system I'm using ShowExpress as it lends itself to that world fairly well.  System has wired DMX wash lights on a truss, a mix of moving heads, and a few odds and ends like Gobo projectors and effects, lasers and a host of wireless uplights.

Setup as a 3 Universe system - Stage, Dance Floor, House.  3 wire system, so adaptors from the Enttec 5 wire format would be needed.  I have a combination of USB & Artnet controllers as ShowExpress is setup for USB first to unlock the Artnet.

Has anybody tried using any of the Enttec gear with Chauvet ShowExpress?

Thx much.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 09:35:31 AM by Steve-White »

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: Chauvet ShowExpress & Enttec Controller Interface Modules
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 01:17:12 PM »

I used the search engine for ShowExpress & Enttec and it dumped a lot of threads and posts - sifting through them I didn't find what I was looking for.

Does the Enttec stuff work with Chauvet ShowExpress?  Already have some Chauvet Interface Controllers, the Enttec would be more cost effective if they work.

So, before ordering anything and beginning some testing I figured if the Chauvet ShowExpress is proprietary and only works with Chauvet Interface Controllers there's no use in ordering any Enttec gear.

For the DJ system I'm using ShowExpress as it lends itself to that world fairly well.  System has wired DMX wash lights on a truss, a mix of moving heads, and a few odds and ends like Gobo projectors and effects, lasers and a host of wireless uplights.

Setup as a 3 Universe system - Stage, Dance Floor, House.  3 wire system, so adaptors from the Enttec 5 wire format would be needed.  I have a combination of USB & Artnet controllers as ShowExpress is setup for USB first to unlock the Artnet.

Thx much

I am pretty sure that ShowXpress only works with the Chauvet interface. So you are basically paying for the interface and it then unlocks ShowXpress. So you are basically paying for both of them.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 02:12:58 PM »

I am pretty sure that ShowXpress only works with the Chauvet interface. So you are basically paying for the interface and it then unlocks ShowXpress. So you are basically paying for both of them.

Pretty much what I'm thinking Kevin.  But their hardware and it unlocks their free control software.  I"ll probably pick up an Enttec DMX USB Pro2 and try it out.  If it doesn't work with ShowExpress, I'll find something to use if for with control software that works with it.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 02:39:43 PM »

I am pretty sure that ShowXpress only works with the Chauvet interface.

That is my understanding as well, though it’s been over a decade since I last touched ShowXpress.  I think Scott Holtzman is one of the regulars here who’s more experienced with the software and can hopefully chime in.

For what it’s worth though I have a pair of the Enttec DMX USB Pro mk2 units that have been extremely handy to keep around for miscellaneous tasks.  Good luck!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 04:18:20 PM »

Yes, you must run their controller.  ShowXpress can do some interesting things but you will soon be banging on the limitations.  Mostly lack of palettes which means you ha e to manually apply the "look" and "focus" to every fixture to get your look even.  It gets very tedious.  There are some low end boards that support wings like the Martin.  Hog on PC and MA on PC are very popular around here.  You can use a DMX external controller with them and it's the same language as the full board.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 04:20:37 PM »

Thx much.
One thing you should keep in mind with Show Express one universe per controller.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 04:24:00 PM »

One other thing with summer here I lost my lighting staging area.  I bought the same board as Jeff (ETC Congo) and I have forgotten much that I had learned.  I wish I had a cheap emulator so I could keep going but now between my time, space, it may just have to wait until season is over, another season on Chauvet!.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 11:07:46 PM »

One thing you should keep in mind with Show Express one universe per controller.

With the Chauvet Express1024 you can do 2 universes. https://www.chauvetdj.com/products/xpress-1024/
 I thought there were others that could do even more universes but I don't see them on their website at the moment. Actually it says "Controls two DMX universes and unlocks an additional ArtNet universe (3 universes total)."

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 11:48:37 PM »

With the Chauvet Express1024 you can do 2 universes. https://www.chauvetdj.com/products/xpress-1024/
 I thought there were others that could do even more universes but I don't see them on their website at the moment. Actually it says "Controls two DMX universes and unlocks an additional ArtNet universe (3 universes total)."

I am remembering a rack mount version now with more interfaces.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber