Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Simple live stream options for a small church

(1/1)

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young:
I am in the process of helping a small local church upgrade the tech side of their worship and praise experience.  This church would like to live stream their services via FB/Youtube and so on.  They have limited funds and tech staff, so I want to keep it simple. I am leaning towards a rather simple option:

Zoom Q8 camera connected to a computer in the media booth and then streamed.  We would patch in a matrix from the FOH board (delayed to match the room audio) and blend as needed.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Corey Scogin:

--- Quote from: Chrysander 'C.R.' Young on April 30, 2022, 02:06:43 PM ---Zoom Q8 camera connected to a computer in the media booth and then streamed.  We would patch in a matrix from the FOH board (delayed to match the room audio) and blend as needed.

--- End quote ---

The Zoom Q8 is a fixed lens although it sounds like it can do digital sensor cropping to zoom at a few fixed positions.

There are cameras with better optics that have the capability to stream directly from the camera. The Sony PXW-Z90V is one but it's closer to $3k, not $400. If the streaming computer is a new purchase and can be eliminated, the price looks a lot better. I don't have direct experience with the quality or reliability of streaming directly from that camera, I just noticed it could while looking for something else the other day.

Thomas Le:
Honestly a decent smartphone has a better camera sensor than the Zoom Q8. There was a thread here a while back with the similar question on getting video to the internet, but OP went with a cheapo camcorder with hissy audio. Putting more money into the camera will go a long way. This is out of your budget but I installed PTZOptics and Lumens PTZ cameras for livestreaming services and having the ability to zoom and pan remotely is a plus, you can mount these on a camera tripod for portable applications.

Another idea that's really cheap is to get a used iPhone, the lightning to HDMI adapter, and a zoom lens kit for iPhones. You'll have to search for an app like True Visage for a minimalist view that hides the camera controls.

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Chrysander 'C.R.' Young on April 30, 2022, 02:06:43 PM ---I am in the process of helping a small local church upgrade the tech side of their worship and praise experience.  This church would like to live stream their services via FB/Youtube and so on.  They have limited funds and tech staff, so I want to keep it simple. I am leaning towards a rather simple option:

Zoom Q8 camera connected to a computer in the media booth and then streamed.  We would patch in a matrix from the FOH board (delayed to match the room audio) and blend as needed.

--- End quote ---

Whatever you do must include Open Broadcaster, you can use wireless phones as cameras for multipole sources (get a two hand gyro mount, monitor with intercom) you will find some nice cheep camcorders that can easily accommodate an intercom.

Open Broadcaster has tons of effects and most important a workin green screen.  All this allows your mixed down control room stream to be encoded raw on Facebook, Youtube and a bunch of others.   Proper waiting rooms with content too.

Andrew Hirschman:
Our church has gone through this process since covid,

I wanted super simple so anyone could run it, for that purpose we got 3 cameras, One for worship, one for teaching, and one for the audience. they are all set before the service so there is no fiddling with them during the service. And a BM ATEM mini pro, with a livestream button.

You press the button and your streaming to YT or FB, there is a little back end work to do. And once your streaming you do have "to go live" from a computer, but otherwise there is nothing else in between.

Little camcorders work great, Panasonic HC-V180K work well they are refurbed right now on B&H for $219, so 3 of those is 600-ish plus the ATEM that is $500, plus cabling you could be well less than 2k. No monthly fees for streaming services, or computer programs to break, upgrade, or otherwise service.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version