Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

Setup suggestion

(1/3) > >>

Matteo Calamarino:
Hi,

I'm a newbie dj and I'm trying to buy my own setup, but I'm not very expert to understand what's best for me.
My use will be parties and renting (I don't really know how many people I can handle with my budget.. 100?), hopefully to find some clients in order to start getting those money back  :P

However, my budget is around 800 euros, and my idea was:
2 x Behringer B112D
1 x Behringer VQ1800D

I got in a lot of doubts, though:

1) Is it better the B112D or the B212D? On the internet it seems that they say the B112D is a better option
2) I found an alternative for the B112D: the Behringer DR112DSP - on the internet I cannot find people comparing the two speakers and I don't know how to compare them by the specs (let's say that I would prefer a louder speaker, if the sound quality is not excessively worse.)
3) Would it be better to switch the setup to a pair of B115D and, as a sub, the Behringer B1200D? I don't know if upgrading those speakers and downgrading the sub is a good choice (and if the overall system will be apporximately the same)

Obviously if you have better options I would like to here them - but keep in mind that, staying in EU, brands as rockville and sound town are not affordable because of customs duties and shipping fees (in that case I would rather spend money in some JBLs or QSCs  ;D)

Thanks in advance.

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Matteo on April 25, 2022, 09:31:24 AM ---Hi,

I'm a newbie dj

--- End quote ---

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Dave Garoutte:
This is a case where a single higher quality speaker will probably perform better than two of the cheapos.
Look at Yamaha DXR or QSC K2.2 for the best bang-for-buck (euro). 
Then when you can afford it, get another; no wasted money to upgrade your output.

Brian Jojade:
Why are you looking at brand new gear?

Cheap new gear is and always will be cheap.

Used older professional gear may not be as shiny, but will produce much better sound for relatively little money.

It may take a little work to find the good stuff, but it's usually around hiding in someone's basement or closet.

Buying the older used stuff is MUCH easier to resell for essentially the same money you paid for it.  If you buy brand new crap, it's tough to get even close to your money back.

Behringer speakers have never ranked well in the audio quality department.  They've improved quite a bit over the years, but I still haven't heard any that I was all that impressed with.

I agree with what Dave said in that getting ONE good system now is better than a pair of crap.

I'd also take a look at some of the column systems out there now. The Turbosound IP3000 system (made by the same company as Behringer) is quite impressive and very very compact.  One of those would do just as well as what you have picked out.  As you get more paying jobs, you can add a second one if you decide it's necessary. (for smaller jobs it won't be!)

Matthias McCready:

--- Quote from: Matteo Calamarino on April 25, 2022, 09:31:24 AM ---Hi,

I'm a newbie dj and I'm trying to buy my own setup, but I'm not very expert to understand what's best for me.
My use will be parties and renting (I don't really know how many people I can handle with my budget.. 100?), hopefully to find some clients in order to start getting those money back  :P

However, my budget is around 800 euros, and my idea was:
2 x Behringer B112D
1 x Behringer VQ1800D

I got in a lot of doubts, though:

1) Is it better the B112D or the B212D? On the internet it seems that they say the B112D is a better option
2) I found an alternative for the B112D: the Behringer DR112DSP - on the internet I cannot find people comparing the two speakers and I don't know how to compare them by the specs (let's say that I would prefer a louder speaker, if the sound quality is not excessively worse.)
3) Would it be better to switch the setup to a pair of B115D and, as a sub, the Behringer B1200D? I don't know if upgrading those speakers and downgrading the sub is a good choice (and if the overall system will be apporximately the same)

Obviously if you have better options I would like to here them - but keep in mind that, staying in EU, brands as rockville and sound town are not affordable because of customs duties and shipping fees (in that case I would rather spend money in some JBLs or QSCs  ;D)

Thanks in advance.

--- End quote ---

Just a thought, try some rentals.

Speaker systems are about coverage (how big the space is) and SPL (volume), not how many bodies are filling the space. So what speakers work best depends on the room size and what volume your client wants.

Pass on the cost of the rental (plus a little extra for yourself) to your client as part of your fee.

---

If you purchase your system now it will cost a couple of thousand to get a decent system that will not work for every venue.

If you rent you can get much nicer system than what you can currently afford; I once rented a $15k system for a few hundred bucks!

Some additional positives of renting:
1) You can check out different pieces of equipment, which may help you make a better and more informed choice once you have more capital to throw at speakers. Hint hint: if you rent some Behringer speakers you will realize they suck, but now you don't own them! (ask me how I know that...).
2) You can rent exactly what you need for each gig.
3) Your cost of ownership goes down (storage and equipment repairs etc).
4) If you aren't charging enough to be able to rent gear for an event, you are not charging enough to cover the cost of ownership of your speakers either.

-----

That is what I would do if I was "new" to things now. When I was "new" I purchased and lets just say the ROI did not work out in my favor in the long run.

----

Also if you were planning on "renting" your speakers out to people to make your money back, I would not recommend that.

To the point I can rent a $4,000 speaker for $75 a day from one of my local cross rental places. So the money you make is less than you would think. Especially if you have a cheap speaker.

Also, you better have a lot of these cheap speakers, because people will abuse them, break them, leave them in the rain, drop them, blow them up, or not return them. Renting stuff out means you need a business plan, the ability to repair, spare equipment in case the client needs a swap, equipment other than your main rig, and thorough rental contract preferably written by a lawyer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version