ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need inexpensive LED pars that keep their programming when unplugged  (Read 2269 times)

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!

Hi all,

I have an install coming up that needs a bunch of inexpensive LED pars. They could be RGB, RGBW, RGBA, RGBWA, etc as long as they are at least 40 or 50 watt units as they will have a 20’ throw to the stage.

The problem is that the lights will be for a stage wash and they will be placed on a circuit that will be turned off when not in use as the lighting and sound area gets placed in the audience area and struck during the week. Since they are going to unplug the console from the DMX line, I don’t want the lights to go into automatic/random mode when they lose signal. I had the electrician put the overhead lighting circuits on switches so they can turn the power off.

As the lights will be mounted about 20’ off the floor, I don’t think the venue wants to get a ladder or lift to reprogram the units every weekend.

Somebody in a thread a while back mentioned Monoprice units but before I could offer them up as a suggestion, a local musician friend of the venue owner suggested some Chinese knockoffs. The price was right and the musician swore they held the programming. They did not.

I checked with OPPSK and they said the units I was looking at did not hold the DMX address.

These could be COB (chip on board) style or lights with lots of emitters on the front. As long as they hold the programming when unplugged (DMX address as well as programming modes) they will work. Plastic or metal body is fine. I just need to wash a stage.

Do the 90 watt Monoprice units hold all programming when unplugged?

Are there any other cheap (under $100) lights I should look at?

Thanks in advance
Craig

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Need inexpensive LED pars that keep their programming when unplugged
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 12:16:13 AM »

Hmm, I can't remember using any lights that didn't remember their DMX settings through a power cycle.

Lights that didn't would be essentially useless as any power fluctuation would mean reprogramming.
Brian Jojade

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 03:44:08 AM »

Hi Craig,

The ADJ Mega Hex Pars are the cheapest "generic use" fixtures that I typically recommend and consider useful.  I own a handful for truss warming and other miscellaneous purposes that don't require anything higher pedigree.  At around $100/ea they'll hold their settings when power cycled but getting 20ft of usable throw out of one is asking a lot...  Something like the Chauvet SlimPar Pro H would be more appropriate here as a baseline minimum, but will set you back around 3x your $100 maximum.  As always, you get what you pay for!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 01:11:20 PM »

I use Hexpars occasionally too. They are pretty decent for the money.

I've found that most cheap lights that default back to some mode when DMX is not present WILL let you set up a static color and just default to that instead of epilepsy mode. It's a lot better to have them all just turn white instead of "disco death ray".
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 01:32:00 PM »

Hi all,

I have an install coming up that needs a bunch of inexpensive LED pars. They could be RGB, RGBW, RGBA, RGBWA, etc as long as they are at least 40 or 50 watt units as they will have a 20’ throw to the stage.

The problem is that the lights will be for a stage wash and they will be placed on a circuit that will be turned off when not in use as the lighting and sound area gets placed in the audience area and struck during the week. Since they are going to unplug the console from the DMX line, I don’t want the lights to go into automatic/random mode when they lose signal. I had the electrician put the overhead lighting circuits on switches so they can turn the power off.

As the lights will be mounted about 20’ off the floor, I don’t think the venue wants to get a ladder or lift to reprogram the units every weekend.

Somebody in a thread a while back mentioned Monoprice units but before I could offer them up as a suggestion, a local musician friend of the venue owner suggested some Chinese knockoffs. The price was right and the musician swore they held the programming. They did not.

I checked with OPPSK and they said the units I was looking at did not hold the DMX address.

These could be COB (chip on board) style or lights with lots of emitters on the front. As long as they hold the programming when unplugged (DMX address as well as programming modes) they will work. Plastic or metal body is fine. I just need to wash a stage.

Do the 90 watt Monoprice units hold all programming when unplugged?

Are there any other cheap (under $100) lights I should look at?

Thanks in advance
Craig
I've suffered through piles of the cheapest eBay plastic crap fixtures possible (community theaters) and discovered that if you remember to always press "enter" after your settings on the ubiquitous 4-button menu provided on their rear controls they will remember that setting indefinitely.
Quite frustrating until that little tidbit was discovered.  Because many of them will allow you to dial in what you want then just leave it hanging at that point but will lose once you power cycle.
Haven't found any sub-$100 china fixtures that doesn't act in this way.

-Also recently discovered that the Monoprice 9-led RGBW flat-par is my current lowest possible usability fixture of that genre. 
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 05:40:45 PM »

My Blizzards, ADJ's, Chauvets, Solenas, and other no name chinese branded fixtures ALL hold their settings when powered down. Like Brian, I have not come across any that do not.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 10:34:22 PM »

I too have not seen any fixtures that don't at least remember thier DMX address. As for other settings.. when the DMX signal is lost they typically revert to whatever built-in setting they were last configured for, so as long as you make sure that wasn't an auto or sound active setting and where possible set them as a slave... they will be tolerable.

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 12:49:08 AM »

I have 22 of the monoprice 9x10's.  The remember their dmx address when powered down.  They also remember RGBW direct coded input.  You always want some color off the rgb chart, you can hard code it.  At $60 a unit they are hard to beat.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

John Schalk

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 10:17:00 AM »

I have 22 of the monoprice 9x10's.  The remember their dmx address when powered down.  They also remember RGBW direct coded input.  You always want some color off the rgb chart, you can hard code it.  At $60 a unit they are hard to beat.
These are now $70 and, like most of Monoprice's better LED fixtures, they're out of stock :(

I am looking at this fixture for front light trees for small to medium stages outdoors.  Think city street festivals.  A band I worked for owned Chauvet SlimPar 64s which are very bright, but have a narrow beam angle, so 4 per side did not provide enough coverage outside on a dark street.  What do you think of these fixtures? 

https://www.pssl.com/products/eliminator-lp-12-hex-12x5w-rgbwa-plus-uv-led-par-light

Edit To Add: Shortly after posting this I received an "Ad" email from Sweetwater, which now carries this fixture.  Big Brother really is watching.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 01:38:03 PM by John Schalk »

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 12:42:01 PM »

What would be the point of any lighting fixture that forgot it's programming - none of mine have ever done this, and some remember it for over six months I have found. If anything does not have this feature - I'd never buy them. It's vital.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 12:42:01 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.