ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Which fuse?  (Read 1212 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Which fuse?
« on: April 17, 2022, 05:13:03 PM »

Last night we played a show at a local venue we have been playing for years. Great place to play BUT down side is we have no choice but to run everything - PA and lights (no backline) off one circuit. We have always gotten away with it because my gear is very efficient and we are playing at levels that don't push the limits. (Last night we did get a little louder on the volume than usual......)

However, after dozens of shows there, last night 2 of my Chauvet 6 spotRGB fixtures stopped working. I have one on one side of the truss along with 2 other fixtures daisy chained (power and DMX) from each one. So 2 separate DMX legs.
During set one toward the end of the first set, I noticed the one Chauvet fixture stop working - the other fixtures daisy chained from it continued to work fine. During the break I checked what I could but due to the fact the other fixtures were not affected, I didn't worry too much -I guessed it was either the fuse or the fixture failed somehow so carried on.
2nd set, the other Chauvet fixture decided to stop working too but again all the others were fine. I limped along as best I could.

Today I removed the fuses to both and indeed they had both blown. Replaced them and they work fine.

So, my question: Last night as the fixtures didn't blow due to too many in the chain and there doesn't seem to be any fault with the units, can a fuse blew if being a little 'choked' on voltage? The other fixtures have slightly higher amperage ratings.

Also, I can't find anything on the Chauvet website as to what fuse to get regarding fast or slow blow. I had a spare for each one in the fuse holders so that was lucky. But I want to replace them. I know the fuse is GMA 1A 250v 20mm BUT I can't work out whether it is fast or slow blow - does this matter much? I'd get them from Chauvet but the shipping is many times more than the cost of the fuses so I'll go local or get elsewhere.

edit: Chauvet website states that up to 11 of these fixtures can be power linked together so this is why I can't see how adding 2 fixtures to each - at 2A and 1A respectively - could cause a problem...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 05:20:32 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Which fuse?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 06:24:16 PM »

Some electrical devices, motors in particular will draw more current when voltage conditions are low.  A sensing power supply in modern electronics would likely do the same thing.  To produce the nominal output, with less voltage available there would certainly be more current draw.

So, marginal power source with higher than normal demand and things start going into overload.

Fortunately, the fuses let go before damage occurred.  A motor under the right power conditions can to into melt-down.  I would venture to guess a switching/sensing power supply could do much the same.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 07:30:35 PM »

I had a show where the keys and my UI24 kept cutting out because the voltage dropped to 70!
200' of extension cord and several loud amps and speakers were to blame.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 09:24:22 PM »

Last night we played a show at a local venue we have been playing for years. Great place to play BUT down side is we have no choice but to run everything - PA and lights (no backline) off one circuit. We have always gotten away with it because my gear is very efficient and we are playing at levels that don't push the limits. (Last night we did get a little louder on the volume than usual......)

However, after dozens of shows there, last night 2 of my Chauvet 6 spotRGB fixtures stopped working. I have one on one side of the truss along with 2 other fixtures daisy chained (power and DMX) from each one. So 2 separate DMX legs.
During set one toward the end of the first set, I noticed the one Chauvet fixture stop working - the other fixtures daisy chained from it continued to work fine. During the break I checked what I could but due to the fact the other fixtures were not affected, I didn't worry too much -I guessed it was either the fuse or the fixture failed somehow so carried on.
2nd set, the other Chauvet fixture decided to stop working too but again all the others were fine. I limped along as best I could.

Today I removed the fuses to both and indeed they had both blown. Replaced them and they work fine.

So, my question: Last night as the fixtures didn't blow due to too many in the chain and there doesn't seem to be any fault with the units, can a fuse blew if being a little 'choked' on voltage? The other fixtures have slightly higher amperage ratings.

Also, I can't find anything on the Chauvet website as to what fuse to get regarding fast or slow blow. I had a spare for each one in the fuse holders so that was lucky. But I want to replace them. I know the fuse is GMA 1A 250v 20mm BUT I can't work out whether it is fast or slow blow - does this matter much? I'd get them from Chauvet but the shipping is many times more than the cost of the fuses so I'll go local or get elsewhere.

edit: Chauvet website states that up to 11 of these fixtures can be power linked together so this is why I can't see how adding 2 fixtures to each - at 2A and 1A respectively - could cause a problem...

Slow blow fuses look like a foil filament.  The slowblow are thicker and look like a wire wound around wire.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 09:37:14 PM »

Scott gets the gold star for actually answering your post.  I would contact Chauvet technical support to ensure you get the correct fuses.

Daisy chaining devices depends upon how they are wired.  Some devices have the "Power Out" fused and some do not.  No standard there.  The Chauvet stuff I have looked into fuses the power output receptacle.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 09:51:37 PM »

Slow blow fuses look like a foil filament.  The slowblow are thicker and look like a wire wound around wire.

Thanks Scott!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 09:52:03 PM »

Some electrical devices, motors in particular will draw more current when voltage conditions are low.  A sensing power supply in modern electronics would likely do the same thing.  To produce the nominal output, with less voltage available there would certainly be more current draw.

So, marginal power source with higher than normal demand and things start going into overload.

Fortunately, the fuses let go before damage occurred.  A motor under the right power conditions can to into melt-down.  I would venture to guess a switching/sensing power supply could do much the same.

Thanks for the info Steve.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 09:52:50 PM »

I had a show where the keys and my UI24 kept cutting out because the voltage dropped to 70!
200' of extension cord and several loud amps and speakers were to blame.

:(

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 11:34:31 PM »

:(

Only show Debbie and I did together some big idiot (me) left the generator in economy mode (Honda Inverter Model).  The Powersoft amps just took it with stride but we had a lot more in reserve according to Debbie.  That was one of the last shows that I did before the Pandemic shut us down.  St. Pat's day I had flown straight from a cruise gig up to North Carolina to help Debbie and check out the new Danley's.  The let us role, and by the last set the fire department was there to observe our curfew.  I believe we were the last show in town. 

Coming home with all the airport shops closed, Club was still open but there was a 4 seat buffer square.  I didn't fly for 2 years after that either. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 11:39:04 PM »

Only show Debbie and I did together some big idiot (me) left the generator in economy mode (Honda Inverter Model).  The Powersoft amps just took it with stride but we had a lot more in reserve according to Debbie.  That was one of the last shows that I did before the Pandemic shut us down.  St. Pat's day I had flown straight from a cruise gig up to North Carolina to help Debbie and check out the new Danley's.  The let us role, and by the last set the fire department was there to observe our curfew.  I believe we were the last show in town. 

Coming home with all the airport shops closed, Club was still open but there was a 4 seat buffer square.  I didn't fly for 2 years after that either.

That feels so long ago now and another world away Scott. What a crazy 2 years this has been....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 11:39:04 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.