Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Small Operator System Details and Rationale

<< < (9/12) > >>

John Schalk:

--- Quote from: Nathanael Iversen on September 02, 2022, 04:07:19 PM ---I run two systems.  The “small” system is (2) Fulcrum Acoustics FA22ac’s over (2) BassBoss SSP-218s.

--- End quote ---
How are you moving the SSP-218s?  Bassboss shows them stacked horizontally on carts, but that won't work for the kinds of small venues I work at.
 I'd like to know how you are transporting them to gigs.

Nathanael Iversen:

--- Quote from: John Schalk on September 03, 2022, 09:34:21 AM ---How are you moving the SSP-218s?  Bassboss shows them stacked horizontally on carts, but that won't work for the kinds of small venues I work at.
 I'd like to know how you are transporting them to gigs.

--- End quote ---

I use the dolly boards that BassBoss sells. I normally roll them stacked, then lift the top one off with a helper. I suppose you could make a dolly board that works for a single sub standing vertically.

I often use the subs tipped vertically. One of the handy things is that there is a pole socket in the end, as well as one in the middle, so it helps get the tops up a little higher. 

I’ve taken them on the back of a truck bed, a 7x14’ trailer, rented lift gate trucks, etc.

If you are dealing with very small venues, look at their DJ18 sub. For typical powered tops, in a band setting, it’ll do quite nicely. Much smaller physically. Half the cost.

What I like about the BassBoss stuff is that it performs much better than MI gear and has the same drivers as touring grade gear.  But, the boxes have MI features like pole sockets in handy places. They are assuming speaker on a stick or ground stack vs flown tops or high stands. 

Rory Buszka:
I'm smol. (Compared to the serious players on here)

'large' system (not very):

Console:
Soundcraft Si Expression 1 with MADI/USB card
Soundcraft Mini Stagebox 16ch

Speakers:
4x Renkus Heinz TRAP JR/9
4x Renkus Heinz TRX121/9
4x Renkus Heinz TRC81/9HO
2x Community VBS112 with upgraded drivers (works well with a pair of TRX121 mains to fill in some low end but really not much volume)
2x EAW SB250zR (new additions)
I'm working on adding some subs and another pair of TRAP JR mains - converting to portable with factory handles in factory locations, then new paint.
Drivers in the VBS112 were not original when I bought them, and I replaced them with Denovo Audio Magnum-12, which were perfect for the boxes.
Renkus Heinz speakers are an odd choice but units that have been removed from installs can be had used for very little with some reconditioning necessary. I converted two TRX's to portable and added pole sockets to the other two which had handles already. It's worth the effort because they sound gorgeous. My high school had RH speakers in the auditorium, and they sounded great, so I have been partial to the brand.

Amps:
Crown XTi2002 x1
Crown XTi4002 x2
Crown XTi6002 x2 (for EAW subs)
System processing is running on the amp DSPs, but I may add a Driverack PA2 to help with delay of a larger system, with the amps running protective filters and limiters.

Mics: SM58's, SM57's, a couple Sennheiser, a couple PG series wireless, Audix F6, AKG small diaphragm condenser, Samson DK707 kit, D/I boxes from Whirlwind

Cables: 30 25' XLR for mics, 4 50' XLRs, 4 50' Speakon, 2 25' speakon, 2 short speakon, and bridged amp adapters. AC plug strips, 2x 8ch snakes for 16ch physical sends in addition to 16ch from stagebox = 32 inputs

Stands: 6x tall boom stands (+spares), 2x kick/amp stands, 1x weighted base pole stand, drum clips.

'smol' system:

2x Bose 402
2x Bose MB4
4x Bose 101-II hot spots
Yamaha MG12
1x Behringer NU1000DSP
1x Behringer NU3000DSP
One Behringer is running the Bose 402 processor curve.

I bought the 402s and MB4s as an experiment and they are a truckload of meh, but they're small, light, and full-ish range, and they look clean. The 'smol' system has done music at a party, quiet background music from a small acoustic duo, as well as a gig in a house for a local piano entertainer.

Other:
2x Community ENT206 with 'standle'
2x Community  CPL23 with stand adapters
4x Bose B1 (may sell - were part of a 'tiny pa' concept)

My transportation is a 2-row SUV, a Ford Edge. Anything larger will be rented as necessary. I'm a shoestring operation but this is my hobby and everything is paid for. I also do sound for a newly planted porta-church that has an X32 console and a system with Apogee AE-5s along with AE-11 subs. The AE-5s are Crown Macro-Tech powered (the original classic ones) and the subs get two sides of a Powersoft M50Q.

Updated 3-31-24

Mike Monte:

--- Quote from: Rory Buszka on June 20, 2023, 11:15:50 PM ---

'smol' system:

2x Bose 402
2x Bose MB4
4x Bose 101 hot spots
One Behringer is running the Bose 402 processor curve.

I bought the 402s and MB4s as an experiment and they are a truckload of meh, but they're small, light, and full-ish range, and they look clean.

--- End quote ---

Bose processor curve??
Do you mean a standard 402 full range processor or 402C processor or did you develop your own setting?

I have four pairs of 402's that I use with their appropriate processors; two pairs are "corporate-clean" (my term) that I use for talking head / light background music or monitors for wedding-band use.

Joe Q Public recognize the Bose logo.  I know, I know, but public perception does carry some weight.
I only use them when I know that they will work for the specific application.

The two other pairs I use as monitors for club work, yes............... club work.
I've toughened-up the club 402's: added Speakon ins/outs, purchased METAL grills (from Bose), and added grill foam....  The cabs look road-worn (scratches) and the grills have held up well.
For band monitor use I use a 402C controller in bi-amp mode running the mid/hi signal to a Crown xs4300 to the cabs. 
They work really well for this application.

I have never used an MB4....but I have used 502BP subs via the 402C controller.
The 502's pair up well with the 402's.

Rory Buszka:

--- Quote from: Mike Monte on June 21, 2023, 07:47:57 AM ---Bose processor curve??
Do you mean a standard 402 full range processor or 402C processor or did you develop your own setting?

I have four pairs of 402's that I use with their appropriate processors; two pairs are "corporate-clean" (my term) that I use for talking head / light background music or monitors for wedding-band use.

Joe Q Public recognize the Bose logo.  I know, I know, but public perception does carry some weight.
I only use them when I know that they will work for the specific application.

The two other pairs I use as monitors for club work, yes............... club work.
I've toughened-up the club 402's: added Speakon ins/outs, purchased METAL grills (from Bose), and added grill foam....  The cabs look road-worn (scratches) and the grills have held up well.
For band monitor use I use a 402C controller in bi-amp mode running the mid/hi signal to a Crown xs4300 to the cabs. 
They work really well for this application.

I have never used an MB4....but I have used 502BP subs via the 402C controller.
The 502's pair up well with the 402's.

--- End quote ---

I developed my own setting after researching the 402 curve; I used an OmniMic measurement setup to fine-tune for flatness, then I added a bit of top end to compensate for the midrangey-ness of the 4" drivers, which are the red-cone ones used in the 402-II instead of the black-cone ones. I have the Community ENT206 columns also, and they are more 'hi-fi' and extended on top than the 402; they just need a little taming of a treble breakup peak that's in the 15-20kHz range that makes them sound too bright.

The MB4 is a curiosity. It makes enough bass for the 402 or the MA12 that it was designed to pair with, and it can thump and play low notes, but it is nowhere near the sub that the 502 is. The MB4 has a 'wooly' sound I can recognize. Subjectively it plays a little deeper than the B1, although the B1 plays surprisingly deep for its size and weight. I used B1s with ENT206s for background music and announcements as part of a technology showcase event, with the B1s hiding behind the pipe-and-drape and the ENT206s peeking through at the corners being almost invisible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version